+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferring universities

kd0419

Mar 10, 2019
Hello guys...

I'm going to VIU this September. But I'm kind of regretting the decision I made. The biggest reason why I chose to go was because VIU was a lot cheaper for international students. I do have pretty decent grades. And I'm thinking of uvic.

Is it possible to transfer universities after 1 year?

And if I can, or not, what does transfer credit mean and what do I need to prepare in order to apply for it?
I don't need any details although it will be very helpful, I just need some simple instructions since I have no idea how transferring schools work.

Please help!!

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hello guys...

I'm going to VIU this September. But I'm kind of regretting the decision I made. The biggest reason why I chose to go was because VIU was a lot cheaper for international students. I do have pretty decent grades. And I'm thinking of uvic.

Is it possible to transfer universities after 1 year?

And if I can, or not, what does transfer credit mean and what do I need to prepare in order to apply for it?
I don't need any details although it will be very helpful, I just need some simple instructions since I have no idea how transferring schools work.

Please help!!
With regards to the immigration side, you just need to inform IRCC. They have explained it in the following link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html

Transfer credit is when you have studied, let's say a semester in one university and you can transfer the credits earn against the program in the other university.

It is upto the university that you are transferring to, to decide if they will accept what you have studied in the previous university. This does not apply if you haven't studies anything yet.

Do note, that each university has their own cancellation policy, and if you shift universities, your previous university may not refund the entire amount you paid. You can consult your current university's refund policy.

kd0419

Mar 10, 2019
With regards to the immigration side, you just need to inform IRCC. They have explained it in the following link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html

Transfer credit is when you have studied, let's say a semester in one university and you can transfer the credits earn against the program in the other university.

It is upto the university that you are transferring to, to decide if they will accept what you have studied in the previous university. This does not apply if you haven't studies anything yet.

Do note, that each university has their own cancellation policy, and if you shift universities, your previous university may not refund the entire amount you paid. You can consult your current university's refund policy.
I'm going to finish 1 year in my university right now though, so I don't think refund would be a problem.
Thanks for the information!

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I'm going to finish 1 year in my university right now though, so I don't think refund would be a problem.
Thanks for the information!
You will have to check with Uvic if they will take transfer credit from VIU. If not, you will have to start from the beginning.