+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferring after a suspension for 4 months then coming back & PGWP

bshi0412

Jul 28, 2021
Not a scheduled break. As the advisor suggested you need to remain a full-time student so studying elsewhere would be an option. You can no longer just switch schools without IRCC approval like you could before.
Hi @canuck78. I have another question. I'm debating on leaving Canada for home or staying here as a visitor. Which one would make my application of SP easier? Thanks.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi @Simba112. I have another question. I'm debating on leaving Canada for home or staying here as a visitor. Which one would make my application of SP easier?
Which SP application? Are extending or? You cant pre determine decision whether you stay or leave and come back. Were you asked to leave?

bshi0412

Jul 28, 2021
@Simba112 Sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm the OP, and because I will be suspended so I think my SP would be canceled in Sep. I'm not asked to leave, and my advisor told me I have the option to change my status to visitor. What I'm worrying about is that my application of a new SP would take a longer time in my home country and would possibly be delayed because of the pandemic.
I assume I would need less documents and a quicker process time if I stay in Canada. My country requires a 28-day quarantine, and I would have to immediately start my new SP application after my quarantine. But if any accidents happen, I really doubt I can get my new SP on time.
Thanks.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
@Simba112 Sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm the OP, and because I will be suspended so I think my SP would be canceled in Sep. I'm not asked to leave, and my advisor told me I have the option to change my status to visitor. What I'm worrying about is that my application of a new SP would take a longer time in my home country and would possibly be delayed because of the pandemic.
I assume I would need less documents and a quicker process time if I stay in Canada. My country requires a 28-day quarantine, and I would have to immediately start my new SP application after my quarantine. But if any accidents happen, I really doubt I can get my new SP on time.
Thanks.
So worst case they cancel your SP, what's your game plan? you realize you may not be eligible for PGWP even if you complete three classes remained? And considering they cancel your SP, how confident you think they will approve new SP application

barneyboi

Jul 23, 2020
So worst case they cancel your SP, what's your game plan? you realize you may not be eligible for PGWP even if you complete three classes remained? And considering they cancel your SP, how confident you think they will approve new SP application
@Simba112 Thanks for your reply. I plan to finish my degree first and not worry about my PGWP. Tbh I have solid grades, did 2 co-ops and am studying at a top3 school. Because of this suspension, I lost a 75k full-time job offer from my last co-op company. Those are all the past now I know. I think they would approve my application based on my grades and academic experiences, but if they won't, I'm not afraid of staring over again. I feel regretful about what I did and took a lot to recover from it.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
@Simba112 Thanks for your reply. I plan to finish my degree first and not worry about my PGWP. Tbh I have solid grades, did 2 co-ops and am studying at a top3 school. Because of this suspension, I lost a 75k full-time job offer from my last co-op company. Those are all the past now I know. I think they would approve my application based on my grades and academic experiences, but if they won't, I'm not afraid of staring over again. I feel regretful about what I did and took a lot to recover from it.
Right, mistake happens and it is important to own and learn from it. Given that IRCC won't cancel your SP, will you be able to register remaining class using same SP and complete your program? if yes, and provided you can have enough CRS score for EE, go for that or PNP

barneyboi

Jul 23, 2020
@Simba112 Thanks for your advice. I did some search on this forum, and people say the schools usually report students to IRCC after suspensions. Doesn't that mean that my current SP will be cancelled? Or did I misunderstand something?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
@Simba112 Thanks for your advice. I did some search on this forum, and people say the schools usually report students to IRCC after suspensions. Doesn't that mean that my current SP will be cancelled? Or did I misunderstand something?
Decision to cancel SP after compliance reporting by DLI rests with IRCC. If suspension is temporary and you are given option to resume your studies after serving it, IRCC may not cancel your study permit. From previous post, your academic advisor advised on mitigation solution during suspension that you will return back after suspension period, so it seems that there is option to resume studies after probation. If that is true, imo they won't cancel your SP ( I may be wrong as im not the one to cancel or not to )

Below copy&paste from DLI Portal: Compliance Reporting

Academic Suspension
"The student is suspended from your institution, due to poor academic performance or violation of the institution’s policies. The student is allowed to return after the period of suspension"

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest speaking to the advisor to ask whether your absence will be reported as not attending or approved absence. If no reported as not attending you won’t lose your SP and won’t need to reapply.

Reactions: Simba112

JamieD

Mar 24, 2022
Hi, I just curious how everything goes in your case. Did u apply for PGWP yet?
I also facing same situation and debating whether I changed College in DLI or went back home country until my suspension is off.
I really appreciate it if you could update ur situation.