+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferring after a suspension for 4 months then coming back & PGWP

bshi0412

Jul 28, 2021
Hi. My suspension is going to start in Sep, 2021, and I only have 3 classes left in my current school. My advisor told me if I still want my PGWP, it'd be considered a mitigated situation if I'm enrolled in another institution from Sep, 2021 to Dec, 2021, then come back to my current school. But he's not sure about it.
I'm really hesitant on this because I'm not sure if I would be still considered eligible for PGWP after I graduate from the current school. And it would also cost my thousands of dollars. I was planning to just go back to my country coz I haven't been back in 2 years, and then come back after my suspension ends.
Is it worth all the hassles, and would it increase my chance of being eligible for PGWP? I actually have 2 doctor notes and can state my situations.
Thanks for any advice.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I am suspended because of academic misconduct.
If they impose notation of academic misconduct on your transcript, mitigation option is waste of time..secondly though academic misconduct is not mentioned as violations of condition of study permit, but In some cases officers inteprete academic misconduct as the opposite of this conditon “ making progress toward completion of your studies”

Last edited:
Reactions: wonderbly

bshi0412

Jul 28, 2021
If they impose notation of academic misconduct on your transcript, mitigation option is waste of time..secondly though academic misconduct is not mentioned as violations of condition of study permit, but In some cases officers intepretes view academic misconduct as the opposite of this conditon “ making progress toward completion of your studies”
Thanks. Really helpful information. I appreciate it.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I’m curious about this. Are academic suspensions considered scheduled breaks?

Sorry if I’m off-topic. But I think others may benefit as well should they encounter this.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I’m curious about this. Are academic suspensions considered scheduled breaks?

Sorry if I’m off-topic. But I think others may benefit as well should they encounter this.
It depends. If your DLI grants grants you letter and you intend to return within reasonable time, it is considered as scheduled break but you are not authorized to work. On separate note, DLI is required to report to IRCC any academic suspension

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
It depends. If your DLI grants grants you letter and you intend to return within reasonable time, it is considered as scheduled break but you are not authorized to work. On separate note, DLI is required to report to IRCC any academic suspension
I see. So, an academic suspension can be considered as a special scheduled break?

Thanks for your input.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I see. So, an academic suspension can be considered as a special scheduled break?

Thanks for your input.
IMO, YES. I have seen people get study permit extension provided suspension and return back to class is within the 150days. Time to servd and severity of misconduct matter

Reactions: rogelcorral

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
IMO, YES. I have seen people get study permit extension provided suspension and return back to class is within the 150days. Time to servd and severity of misconduct matter
And it didn’t affect their PGWP? Reason I asked is because the requirement for PGWP is continuous study without gaps (full time except final sem) unless there is a scheduled break such as summer break.

Curious about suspension because the student did not “take a break” intentionally. But it’s not a scheduled break either.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
And it didn’t affect their PGWP? Reason I asked is because the requirement for PGWP is continuous study without gaps (full time except final sem) unless there is a scheduled break such as summer break.

Curious about suspension because the student did not “take a break” intentionally. But it’s not a scheduled break either.
It gives student opportunity to finish their studies and leave Canada, but yes academic suspension is contrary to “maintaining full time status throughout your studies” as one of the eligibility for pgwp, therefore ineligible to apply. There are students who want to come,study and leave, others study and stay so it accords you with the first opportunity

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Academic suspension is not considered a scheduled break. There are some cases where there are potentially reasons for their low grades and that can be considered but no guarantees. You need to remain a full-time student.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Not a scheduled break. As the advisor suggested you need to remain a full-time student so studying elsewhere would be an option. You can no longer just switch schools without IRCC approval like you could before.

bshi0412

Jul 28, 2021
Hi @Simba112. I have another question. I'm debating on leaving Canada for home or staying here as a visitor. Which one would make my application of SP easier?