+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transfer US H1B Visa to Canadian Passport or to surrender my Indian citiziten

sandeep.vn119

Feb 2, 2021
Hello All,

May I know if it is possible to renounce Indian citizenship at an Indian Embassy in USA after receiving Candian passport or do we have to renounce it only in Canada?

bakshivishal

May 6, 2014
How did you get your US visa transferred to you Canadian passport?
I did not have a visa stamp on my Indian passport, only approved I797. You do not need to transfer visa to Canadian passport. At port of entry, you can show visa office I797 and Canadian Passport.

sgk99

Mar 4, 2018
Hi All, Very helpful information on this thread.

I am in a similar situation as most people posting questions here. I am awaiting oath invitation and currently hold an H1B visa in USA. Will I be able to apply for the Canadian passport from a consulate in USA? Just wanted to see if it is possible to travel back to US using the Indian passport after obtaining Canadian citizenship certificate and apply for a passport in USA.

Thank you!

Reactions: svcanadapr

sandeep.vn119

Feb 2, 2021
Hi All, Very helpful information on this thread.

I am in a similar situation as most people posting questions here. I am awaiting oath invitation and currently hold an H1B visa in USA. Will I be able to apply for the Canadian passport from a consulate in USA? Just wanted to see if it is possible to travel back to US using the Indian passport after obtaining Canadian citizenship certificate and apply for a passport in USA.

Thank you!
Hello,

I haven't tried it but while applying for passport the application say can apply it from USA also. You can check the passport application form.

Reactions: sgk99

cantn

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just return back as usual with your current passport and visa. if asked just tell you finished oath and returning. Your oath taking is not having any impact on avr.

US entry visa waiver will be based on the passport you use. If you use non-canadian passport then you need visa which you already have as you are already in US. So this trip wont be different than your earlier trip from Canada to US.

I travelled twice(for oath and for applying passport for family). Yet to apply for my canadian passport for which i will again go to Canada after 2-3 months during which i will still be using Indian passport only till i receive the passport(which will be mailed to US).
How are you able to return to Canada after taking the oath? You need to surrender your PR card at the time of taking the oath. So returning to US after oath is fine, but coming back to Canada without a PR card is not possible. Something doesn't add up.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
How are you able to return to Canada after taking the oath? You need to surrender your PR card at the time of taking the oath. So returning to US after oath is fine, but coming back to Canada without a PR card is not possible. Something doesn't add up.
Any passport along with Canadian Citizenship Certificate is the only thing required to travel to Canada as a citizen via road. Which means, someone needs to courier the certificate from Canada to you so that you can travel back to Canada.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s1-2

sandeep.vn119

Feb 2, 2021
You can renounce it in Indian embassy in US and also get OCI from Indian embassy in US. I did it recently.
Hello,

I have renounced my Indian passport in USA but the stamp in my passport says "Cancelled Acquired US Citizenship" instead of Canada. May I know what stamp did you received? Wondering if this would cause any problems in future.

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
You can renounce it in Indian embassy in US and also get OCI from Indian embassy in US. I did it recently.
Hi Bakshivisal, Can you please share the steps (or checklist) you followed to get your OCI and passport surrender from Indian embassy in the US. Thank you.

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
@harirajmohan : Your responses is really helpful in this forum. Can you please help me with below questions

Regarding H1B visa holder travelling back to US based on Canadian Passport+ I797 will help to get I94 based on Candian Passport.

1. Does process will be same (CAN Passport + Primary Applicant I797 Approval Notice) for spouse who holds H4 Visa and now Canadian Citizenship?
2. In future, to get H1 extension (intend to get US GC) does Canadian passport holders need to get H1-B stamp on CAN passport or US entry will get based on I797 approval notice only. TN visa option is there but it doesn't allow GC path, hence exploring H1-B path (considering current EB2/EB3 wait time going to TN visa and change to H1-B later stage is also option :) )

senhari2005

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
@Mum2Can - here below my responses based on my understanding:

Regarding H1B visa holder travelling back to US based on Canadian Passport+ I797 will help to get I94 based on Candian Passport.
>>> Yes, the process is same, border control will issue new I-94 based on Canadian passport and valid I797 (in my case, they checked my prev. stamping in India passport)

1. Does process will be same (CAN Passport + Primary Applicant I797 Approval Notice) for spouse who holds H4 Visa and now Canadian Citizenship?
>>> Yes, process is same for both H1B and H4

The same process applicable to H1 extension also, no stamping needed at any given time for Canadian passport holders. Only valid approvals are needed.

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Thanks for your resonse. some additional question.

What is advantage of H1B over TN except GC path.

Have you travel with CAN passport + I797 aproval notice by Air (means from India to US) and same experience as land border?

@Mum2Can - here below my responses based on my understanding:

>>> Yes, the process is same, border control will issue new I-94 based on Canadian passport and valid I797 (in my case, they checked my prev. stamping in India passport)

>>> Yes, process is same for both H1B and H4
-- great, this helps.

The same process applicable to H1 extension also, no stamping needed at any given time for Canadian passport holders. Only valid approvals are needed.
-- Ohh that's great to know.. stamp free tavel :p

senhari2005

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019

-- Sorry, haven't explored this much.

Have you travel with CAN passport + I797 aproval notice by Air (means from India to US) and same experience as land border?
--- don't have any personal experience but should be same.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

H1 has almost all job titles qualified for. No comparison with TN which is very limited to few.

From India to US, while my wife was traveling via Abu Dhabi, the cbp at Abu Dhabi was not ready to issue H4 instead could only issue B. Not sure if it was problem due to that H1 approval we received while on Indian passport but not sure. The officer was pointing out a line in the I797 which i forgot. So last to last time we had to drive to the border and got the I94. So last time i booked the tickets for my family to avoid Abu Dhabi to avoid this issue as they received H4 status without any problem when they cleared immigration directly at US airport. Luckily i am in border city hence its easier but if someone is working at center of US then its going to be difficult to get the status changed. I dont know if the officer is new or thats the process. So its better to avoid preclearance airports outside of Canada.

Reactions: Mum2Can