+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transfer of money

vadim37

Jul 3, 2007
My family is going to (move) immigrate to Canada in couple of months.
For this we have next plan.
I will come first to prepare a place for my family, needed money for 6 months (as it's requested by Canada immigration process) I am going to bring in cash.
Before my moving I'll not sell a house I own here to let my family to live there till their move.
My family will move late a month before visas expiration time. Before their moving they will sell our house and will transfer gained money to account in Canada opened by me after my arriving. Or a house will be sold even late by my parents it will depends on a situation on a real-estate market.
In this situation I would like to ask experienced people.
Will I have to pay taxes for this money. In general what do I need to do during my border passing to emphasize for officials that we will transfer money after selling a real estate late to avoid further taxes impossing.
Thank you a lot in advance.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Hi Vadim

Canadian tax law states that you do not have to report the gain on sale of your house as long as it was your primary residence for every year you owned it.

So that is good news for you if you sell it at the same time your family moves to Canada. But it's bad news if you leave it for your parents to sell - and they dont' sell it right away.

Here's a link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4037/t4037-08-e.html#P4307_157906

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
Hi vadim37

Please do not bring cash with you, it is not safe, you may want to bring traveler cheques instead, they are protected against lost and robbery

Don’t forget to declare the money to the customs if you are bringing more than $ 10,000 CAD

Regards
Eduardo

Michael01

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In this situation I would like to ask that will tax be still on the general public at situation like that.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Michael01 said:
In this situation I would like to ask that will tax be still on the general public at situation like that.
If you don't declare that you are bringing over $10,000 and they finds out, they can seize the money from you.

CA_SG11

Sep 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 4 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2014
File Transfer...
July 2015
Are you going to pay any duties for bringing the cash more than 10k? Just curious.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
no duties. but why would you want to bring 10k in cash? for safety reason, i would rather wire the same amount to my canadian account.

SFOasia

Jan 6, 2012
You have consult for this to a professional who can give you some opinion about the transfer of money to different country.But its good that you are not selling the home initially.