+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transcripts / marksheets when applying for universities

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Hello,

I received my transcripts today and will be applying for Universities once I get my IELTS results in a couple of days.

My question is, I have received the transcripts in a sealed envelope and to apply for universities, do I open the package and send them a scan copy of the transcripts or am I supposed to send the marksheets?

Kind of a noob question, I realize that, but it's the first time I will be applying.

I ask as there's a limited number of transcripts and I don't want to waste them. I will also be sending one copy to WES so I need to keep one sealed copy for that as well.

Kindly guide me.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
If you open the envelope, you render the transcripts unofficial and the schools won't accept. Due to COVID, most schools are accepting official transcripts via email, provided it comes directly from the school. I know WES also allowed email.

You may want to pursue that route.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Typically, the transcript have to be sent directly from your school to the one you are applying to. However, with intl students, they sometimes let you send mail directly. Any sign of tampering or if the seal is broken will mean that the transcripts are not valid.

Reactions: lolcocks

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
If you open the envelope, you render the transcripts unofficial and the schools won't accept. Due to COVID, most schools are accepting official transcripts via email, provided it comes directly from the school. I know WES also allowed email.

You may want to pursue that route.
Typically, the transcript have to be sent directly from your school to the one you are applying to. However, with intl students, they sometimes let you send mail directly. Any sign of tampering or if the seal is broken will mean that the transcripts are not valid.
I see.
I actually asked a friend. He suggested to open one package and scan it and send the soft copy to universities.

If university asks for official transcripts, I can go to the university and ask them to mail it.

Thank you for your help. :)

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
Usually during admission process universities ask for unofficial transcripts which means scanned, otherwise they will mention they want transcripts sent from school.
Once you are admitted they will ask for official transcripts. Which means either hard copy signed and sealed by your university, or an electronic transcript sent directly from your university

Reactions: lolcocks

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Usually during admission process universities ask for unofficial transcripts which means scanned, otherwise they will mention they want transcripts sent from school.
Once you are admitted they will ask for official transcripts. Which means either hard copy signed and sealed by your university, or an electronic transcript sent directly from your university
Thank you! I will open one package now and scan it. :)

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you! I will open one package now and scan it. :)
Did you not get your transcripts fro, your school beforehand? Or are you able to download from the institution website? I'll be wary of tampering with the sealed envelope - unless of course it's easy to get another officially sealed copy.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Did you not get your transcripts fro, your school beforehand? Or are you able to download from the institution website? I'll be wary of tampering with the sealed envelope - unless of course it's easy to get another officially sealed copy.
I have ordered 5 copies but I don't want to waste any as getting them from the university is a 2 month long process.

So for now I have decided to open 1 package and scan it.

Then as suggested by ayesha_llk2, I will send the remaining if the university requires a hard copy, be it before acceptance or after acceptance.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I have ordered 5 copies but I don't want to waste any as getting them from the university is a 2 month long process.

So for now I have decided to open 1 package and scan it.

Then as suggested by ayesha_llk2, I will send the remaining if the university requires a hard copy, be it before acceptance or after acceptance.
If you have multiple sealed envelopes, then :cool:.

VladMir1992

Dec 15, 2021
I am gonna apply under SDS too from India. Any idea if we just need to upload transcripts or mark sheets as well I had 2 backlogs in the first and second semesters and the passing year of these two semesters on transcripts is the same as the passing year of the 3rd and 4th semesters.
I don't know
if just uploading transcripts would work

Or do I need to upload marks sheets as well?

Or include backlog mark sheets as well

I read in many threads people uploading just transcripts and getting their visa, people with 10+ backlogs. I don't want to overcomplicate the case or draw unwanted attention to the backlogs. I am in a confused state :(