+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traditional marriage- ADR from NDVO

ankur_113

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
Hello people,
For my outland living in canada application, we just got am email from NDVO yesterday.
- pictures submitted in your application does not show traditional marriage rituals. Please send us photographs if you have done traditional wedding and rituals. Or please advise if you plan to have elaborate wedding.

in our case, we did civil wedding just few of our family members maximum 10 and in presence of marriage officiant. Wedding was at home we did vows and sign papers that was it. I also attached those pictures along with my application, and explained them i couldnt do much because of COVID.

Please can anyone guide, what should we reply to them now?

ankur_113

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
Was this an arranged marriage? How much time have you spent together in person?
It wasn't arrange marriage. We met online a year ago, it was one year long distance relationship. We met once in Alberta then second time we I went we got married, after marriage we met 3 times in 6 months as she was living in other province because of her university and now she is moving here with me by next week

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It wasn't arrange marriage. We met online a year ago, it was one year long distance relationship. We met once in Alberta then second time we I went we got married, after marriage we met 3 times in 6 months as she was living in other province because of her university and now she is moving here with me by next week
How much time did you spend together in person before getting married? Was any of her family present at the wedding?

ankur_113

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
How much time did you spend together in person before getting married? Was any of her family present at the wedding?
We spent like 4 days together when we met first time. Wedding was at her uncle’s place so yes her extended family including her uncle , aunt and cousins were there at wedding

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We spent like 4 days together when we met first time. Wedding was at her uncle’s place so yes her extended family including her uncle , aunt and cousins were there at wedding
Only having spent 4 days together in person before getting married is fairly unusual and is more like an arranged marriage. Not having your parents at your wedding and not having a traditional ceremony is fairly unusual in the circumstances. Are you planning on having a traditional wedding in India?

ankur_113

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
Parents were not here because they have no visa not even visitor and it was covid time so they couldn't even apply.
I agree we didn't spend much time before marriage, but after marriage she came here 3 times in 6 months and now she is permanently moving as she is graduated now from her university.
We are planning to have reception in India whenever we plan to go just to involve both families and to celebrate with our relatives who is in India

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Parents were not here because they have no visa not even visitor and it was covid time so they couldn't even apply.
I agree we didn't spend much time before marriage, but after marriage she came here 3 times in 6 months and now she is permanently moving as she is graduated now from her university.
We are planning to have reception in India whenever we plan to go just to involve both families and to celebrate with our relatives who is in India
The big issue is that you seem to have gotten married to start sponsorship and will having a traditional ceremony likely this year when you could have delayed wedding. When you have a traditional courtship a traditional marriage ceremony is expected. Did her parents apply for a TRV to attend the wedding? Did she qualify for a PGWP? What was the rush to get married?

ankur_113

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
Yes she is qualified for PGWP, as her university is just finished now she will apply for PGWP. No her parents didn't apply as I said it was covid time (july 2021), situation in india was very bad. There was travelling ban for visitors from India plus quarantine rules and all thats why they decided not to come. We wanted to get married because we had no time to go india and do traditional plus we didnt know when that covid situation would end.

ankur_113

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
I'd suggest updating her address when yhou are cohabitating, as soon as you can show any docs that she is living with you.
Do you think I need to provide any proof for co- havitation? As they have only asked for “dates of post marriage cohabitation” so I was thinking to inlcude her bording passes and our hotel stay receipt of her 3 visits after marriage, and as she is permanently moving here now i will provide one way boarding pass, But i didnt sign lease for the place i am renting for us so i dont have any docs for that

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes she is qualified for PGWP, as her university is just finished now she will apply for PGWP. No her parents didn't apply as I said it was covid time (july 2021), situation in india was very bad. There was travelling ban for visitors from India plus quarantine rules and all thats why they decided not to come. We wanted to get married because we had no time to go india and do traditional plus we didnt know when that covid situation would end.
As I said it is fairly unusual to not have both parents at your wedding and not have a traditional wedding if you haven’t had a more western style longterm dating relationship. Many have a small ceremony just to start sponsorship and then have their true wedding which will be the date that they will consider their actual wedding day. Many do not make public that they have had a court marriage or small wedding ceremony. I understand that it was Covid but you had only met once and it seems as though you are relatively young so there was no rush to get married. There could have been a longer engagement and a wedding this year. Most would prioritize have your parents attend your wedding even if you had to wait a bit longer to get married. These are the types of things that create concerns for IRCC. Once you have proof of living together for multiple months your application will be stronger. You and your wife both being on your lease would also be a good idea. You should include proof that you visited each other 3 times.

ankur_113

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
As I said it is fairly unusual to not have both parents at your wedding and not have a traditional wedding if you haven’t had a more western style longterm dating relationship. Many have a small ceremony just to start sponsorship and then have their true wedding which will be the date that they will consider their actual wedding day. Many do not make public that they have had a court marriage or small wedding ceremony. I understand that it was Covid but you had only met once and it seems as though you are relatively young so there was no rush to get married. There could have been a longer engagement and a wedding this year. Most would prioritize have your parents attend your wedding even if you had to wait a bit longer to get married. These are the types of things that create concerns for IRCC. Once you have proof of living together for multiple months your application will be stronger. You and your wife both being on your lease would also be a good idea. You should include proof that you visited each other 3 times.
Thank you,
For now they have asked these two questions
1) submit photos if you had traditional wedding
2) provide dates of your post marriage cohabitation
And i have to reply then within a month. I am thinking to include
- LOE explaining our marriage
-3 boarding passes of her post marriage visits, includes 2 photos for each trip and hotel stay receipts
-boarding pass of her April’s flight and LOE to let them know we are living together now from 9th April

do you recommend anything else to include?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you think I need to provide any proof for co- havitation? As they have only asked for “dates of post marriage cohabitation” so I was thinking to inlcude her bording passes and our hotel stay receipt of her 3 visits after marriage, and as she is permanently moving here now i will provide one way boarding pass, But i didnt sign lease for the place i am renting for us so i dont have any docs for that
I don't know the timeframes by which you're expected to respond but short answer is do whatever you can - it will strengthen somewhat if you can add to lease, insurance, have her get docs and accounts switched to that address. But if you don't have time at least advise living together.

Reactions: ankur_113