+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Track your PR card timeline and processing times here

guydecent

Jun 29, 2019
Waiting time for new PR Card updated to 98 days. 287 day for renewal.
Yup, just saw that. Very strange way in which IRCC keeps revising the processing time for 1st PR cards. Over here, at least 90% of out-land first time PR card applicants are waiting for 110+ days. People have run out of their savings/settlement funds. Plan Bs and Cs have all been destroyed due to all this uncertainty.

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
Yup, just saw that. Very strange way in which IRCC keeps revising the processing time for 1st PR cards. Over here, at least 90% of out-land first time PR card applicants are waiting for 110+ days. People have run out of their savings/settlement funds. Plan Bs and Cs have all been destroyed due to all this uncertainty.
I don’t see a connection between settlment funds and a PR card. Could you please elaborate?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I think he means that many of us outlanders have used up our savings to remain in Canada at a time when there are few prospects to kick start our careers here, for the moment. Many of us also still have commitments in our home country to wrap up, and we're still here, twiddling our thumbs, waiting for the PR card so we can travel back.

Yes, there is the PRTD but who knows what processing times will be for it by the time we need to return to Canada.

Most people don't want to take that risk and would prefer to have their PR cards.

I just looked at my bank balance and half of my savings have already been wiped out. It would be nice if IRCC had some kind of gameplan for resuming PR card production, if not that at least give us a timeline. I thought the whole purpose of the processing time was to do that, but now they're telling everyone they haven't even started PR card production.

But it sucks not having freedom of movement when many of us have global commitments. They want highly skilled immigrants, okay we're here, but you know what highly skilled immigrants need? They need to be able to move freely.

I know there's a pandemic, but most us have already waited more than 3 months for this thing. Surely someone should think of restarting production, even if it is not at full capacity.

I've been in Ontario all this time, i've been able to do all of my provincial business without any issues. Why can't that be the same at the federal level? They have even more resources!

Last edited:

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
I think he means that many of us outlanders have used up our savings to remain in Canada at a time when there are few prospects to kick start our careers here, for the moment. Many of us also still have commitments in our home country to wrap up, and we're still here, twiddling our thumbs, waiting for the PR card so we can travel back.

Yes, there is the PRTD but who knows what processing times will be for it by the time we need to return to Canada.

Most people don't want to take that risk and would prefer to have their PR cards.

I just looked at my bank balance and half of my savings have already been wiped out. It would be nice if IRCC had some kind of gameplan for resuming PR card production, if not that at least give us a timeline. I thought the whole purpose of the processing time was to do that, but now they're telling everyone they haven't even started PR card production.

But it sucks not having freedom of movement when many of us have global commitments. They want highly skilled immigrants, okay we're here, but you know what highly skilled immigrants need? They need to be able to move freely.

I have a commitment in my home country to get paperwork done so i can apply for the CPA designation, and i'll just need to do ab online course, and i'll have my qualification converted. If i miss the deadline next year, i'll have to do all the exams from scratch here. How does that make sense for me? People have commitments like this.

I know there's a pandemic, but most us have already waited more than 3 months for this thing. Surely someone should think of restarting production, even if it is not at full capacity.

I've been in Ontario all this time, i've been able to do all of my provincial business without any issues. Why can't that be the same at the federal level? They have more even more resources!
You can apply for PRTD from your home country. There is someone outside this forum who got hers in May in less than 3 weeks. She emailed the embassy while VFS offices were closed.

Furthermore, there is a chance you may get a multiple entry document if you write a LoE.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It depends where you are, many VOs are not still not open yet.

The broader point is, we need to be able to move freely and that's ensured by the PR card.

Reactions: dimash

Ctv92

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
PRTDs can be applied for via email in the interim.
Link at bottom

"If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR Card
You must apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return to Canada. Normally, you apply for a PRTD at a visa application centre (VAC).

Due to COVID-19, most VACs are closed. Check if your VAC is open and accepts PRTD applications before you apply.

If your VAC is open
If your VAC accepts applications, find out how to apply for a PRTD.

If your VAC is closed or unable to accept PRTD applications

If your VAC is closed, you can submit your application for a PRTD by email.

Follow these steps:

Read the instruction guide to make sure you prepare a complete application.
Make electronic copies (scans) of the required documents listed in the Document Checklist (PDF, 1.5 MB)
Complete and scan the Application for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5524) form
Pay your fees and provide a copy of the receipt.
If you have it, provide your confirmed flight ticket or itinerary for your travel to Canada that clearly shows:
your flight number,
date of travel
arrival airport in Canada.
Send the scanned copy of your application package by email:
In the subject line, put: “PRTD application: (your name)”
Send to: IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca
Find out what to do if your documents are too large
Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we can’t

process applications normally
provide accurate processing times"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html#outsidecanada

Alt_

Aug 21, 2019
PRTDs can be applied for via email in the interim.
PRTD looks like a visa. If you apply online which way a visa sticker will be put in your passport? You won't be allowed to board a plane without this sticker. You'll have to wait a VAC opening.

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
PRTD looks like a visa. If you apply online which way a visa sticker will be put in your passport? You won't be allowed to board a plane without this sticker. You'll have to wait a VAC opening.
Obviously, you will have to send your passport for stamping.

There was a woman who had to courier her passport abroad and back, to a country where an embassy was open, but she got her PRTD in 17 days without issues. It was in May, so most embassies and VAC were closed. Way quicker than to wait months for a PR card.

Last edited:

asdfgty

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
I just (on 7/1/2020) applied for PRTD via email. Fairly easy process. Cost $50 CAD. I'm living in the US. Hopefully will get approved soon. Will post when it's approved.

Reactions: Jane2019

cartman

Jul 1, 2020
I just (on 7/1/2020) applied for PRTD via email. Fairly easy process. Cost $50 CAD. I'm living in the US. Hopefully will get approved soon. Will post when it's approved.
Do you need PRTD from US? Can't you enter via road using just CoPR (maybe once the closures are opened up)?

homosapien2canada

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-05-2019
Passport Req..
17-12-2019
Do you need PRTD from US? Can't you enter via road using just CoPR (maybe once the closures are opened up)?
You can travel with just COPR but only via land border. Perhaps OP isn't in a situation to travel by land. Also, the border isn't closed to citizens and permanently residents.