+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Track your PR card timeline and processing times here

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
PRTDs can be applied for via email in the interim.
Link at bottom

"If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR Card
You must apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return to Canada. Normally, you apply for a PRTD at a visa application centre (VAC).

Due to COVID-19, most VACs are closed. Check if your VAC is open and accepts PRTD applications before you apply.

If your VAC is open
If your VAC accepts applications, find out how to apply for a PRTD.

If your VAC is closed or unable to accept PRTD applications

If your VAC is closed, you can submit your application for a PRTD by email.

Follow these steps:

Read the instruction guide to make sure you prepare a complete application.
Make electronic copies (scans) of the required documents listed in the Document Checklist (PDF, 1.5 MB)
Complete and scan the Application for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5524) form
Pay your fees and provide a copy of the receipt.
If you have it, provide your confirmed flight ticket or itinerary for your travel to Canada that clearly shows:
your flight number,
date of travel
arrival airport in Canada.
Send the scanned copy of your application package by email:
In the subject line, put: “PRTD application: (your name)”
Send to: IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca
Find out what to do if your documents are too large
Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we can’t

process applications normally
provide accurate processing times"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html#outsidecanada

Alt_

Aug 21, 2019
PRTDs can be applied for via email in the interim.
PRTD looks like a visa. If you apply online which way a visa sticker will be put in your passport? You won't be allowed to board a plane without this sticker. You'll have to wait a VAC opening.

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
PRTD looks like a visa. If you apply online which way a visa sticker will be put in your passport? You won't be allowed to board a plane without this sticker. You'll have to wait a VAC opening.
Obviously, you will have to send your passport for stamping.

There was a woman who had to courier her passport abroad and back, to a country where an embassy was open, but she got her PRTD in 17 days without issues. It was in May, so most embassies and VAC were closed. Way quicker than to wait months for a PR card.

Last edited:

asdfgty

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
I just (on 7/1/2020) applied for PRTD via email. Fairly easy process. Cost $50 CAD. I'm living in the US. Hopefully will get approved soon. Will post when it's approved.

Reactions: Jane2019

cartman

Jul 1, 2020
I just (on 7/1/2020) applied for PRTD via email. Fairly easy process. Cost $50 CAD. I'm living in the US. Hopefully will get approved soon. Will post when it's approved.
Do you need PRTD from US? Can't you enter via road using just CoPR (maybe once the closures are opened up)?

homosapien2canada

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-05-2019
Passport Req..
17-12-2019
Do you need PRTD from US? Can't you enter via road using just CoPR (maybe once the closures are opened up)?
You can travel with just COPR but only via land border. Perhaps OP isn't in a situation to travel by land. Also, the border isn't closed to citizens and permanently residents.

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
You can travel with just COPR but only via land border. Perhaps OP isn't in a situation to travel by land. Also, the border isn't closed to citizens and permanently residents.
Must be in a private vehicle (owned or rented is fine). No public bus or train etc as you'd need to show transportation company your pr card or prtd

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
I think he means that many of us outlanders have used up our savings to remain in Canada at a time when there are few prospects to kick start our careers here, for the moment. Many of us also still have commitments in our home country to wrap up, and we're still here, twiddling our thumbs, waiting for the PR card so we can travel back.

Yes, there is the PRTD but who knows what processing times will be for it by the time we need to return to Canada.

Most people don't want to take that risk and would prefer to have their PR cards.

I just looked at my bank balance and half of my savings have already been wiped out. It would be nice if IRCC had some kind of gameplan for resuming PR card production, if not that at least give us a timeline. I thought the whole purpose of the processing time was to do that, but now they're telling everyone they haven't even started PR card production.

But it sucks not having freedom of movement when many of us have global commitments. They want highly skilled immigrants, okay we're here, but you know what highly skilled immigrants need? They need to be able to move freely.

I know there's a pandemic, but most us have already waited more than 3 months for this thing. Surely someone should think of restarting production, even if it is not at full capacity.

I've been in Ontario all this time, i've been able to do all of my provincial business without any issues. Why can't that be the same at the federal level? They have even more resources!
UNFAIR UNFAIR UNFAIR UNFAIR UNFAIR :( :( :(

February & March & April & May landers need to be treated like ROYALTY in processing of their respective PR cards.
We February & March & April & May landers have risked AND jeopardized our Lives to land on this soil.
Whats more to loose?

UNFAIR UNFAIR UNFAIR :( :( :(

I hope some agent from IRCC or Govt reads this message! Too much to wish for eH!

Reactions: guydecent and Jabya

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank god I did a "soft landing" in early March and returned home before the lockdown started. Given the adverse Covid impact on the global economy, I am in no rush to return. However, it would be nice to get hold of the PR card ASAP.

Jabya

May 29, 2019
Thank god I did a "soft landing" in early March and returned home before the lockdown started. Given the adverse Covid impact on the global economy, I am in no rush to return. However, it would be nice to get hold of the PR card ASAP.
I also landed in Toronto with the intention of softlanding and was supposed to stay for 15 days. But ended up holed up in 2 different Airbnb's for a total of 105 days due to flight restrictions and Covid-19 situation. I'm back in my country of residence now but it would have been nicer to bring PR card in person!

It's been 111 days now since I landed but no updates on PR card makes me explore other available option like PRTD. Will wait until end of this month and if no PR card received then apply for PRTD in first week of August.