+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
torontosm said:
You sort of wonder why McCallum would bring a photographer with him. Can't he follow his boss' lead and just take a few selfies from his phone instead?
I know right? And they spent 30 minutes of valuable discussion time discussing whether to let them in or not.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
zzzzzzzz said:
I know right? And they spent 30 minutes of valuable discussion time discussing whether to let them in or not.
funny..wasn't it them who asked to meet him in the first place ::)

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
emamabd said:
funny..wasn't it them who asked to meet him in the first place ::)
Yes, but he decided to turn it into a photo op. perhaps he should have spent that time preparing for the meeting instead. Then he may have actually had some answers for them.

amitshipra

Apr 28, 2016
It looks like Liberals themselves are delaying Bill c-6. With the progress/pace - it looks like Bill c-6 has better chances of being killed or postponed indefinitely.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Just called my Liberal MP in Calgary.

He was positive that C6 will pass(I am not though).

I emphasized that liberals need to be pushy,just like Harper was in C24, to pass their bills in Senate. I specifically told him C24 took 4 business days to pass Senate. Then why don't Trudeau appoint 21 vacant senators to support Liberal(sent to parliament by Will of people) bills.

He said they recognize the problem. I requested to pass message to PM Trudeau.

Amazingly, by any chance, MP was personally able to talk to me. That was nice and appreciated by me.

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
quasar81 said:
Amazingly, by any chance, MP was personally able to talk to me. That was nice and appreciated by me.
It might be normal here, but the very fact that you're able to directly converse with an MP here makes this country awesome.

nsapp

Star Member
Aug 28, 2013
Looks like they are discussing the topic which can be found at:

https://openparliament.ca/committees/immigration/42-1/30/john-mccallum-48/

Atleast some discussion is good and we know they are mentioning the bill in their discussions.

nsapp

Star Member
Aug 28, 2013
I have a question for this forum (Please forgive me if this is a very stupid question since I know very less about government processes):

I know from the updates that the third reading is done for the c-6 bill. What are they waiting for in the parliament session.
As per my understanding from the process here is the only thing remaining for the bill:

Royal Assent

Bill is presented to the Governor General for assent.
The Governor General may assent to Bill in the Queen's name, withhold assent or reserve assent.
When Bill is given Royal Assent it becomes law.

In Force

Statute is in force:
upon Royal Assent, or
when it is proclaimed by the Governor General, or
on a day specified in the act
Different sections may come into force at different times

Now if this is only taken up for Royal Assent presented to Governor General then why wait for sessions.

zineb83

Oct 14, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
C-6
Navigate Bills
Previous Bill (sequential)Next Bill (sequential)
An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act
Sponsor
Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
Last Stage Completed
First Reading in the Senate (2016-06-17)
Progress:

amitshipra

Apr 28, 2016
nsapp said:
I know from the updates that the third reading is done for the c-6 bill. What are they waiting for in the parliament session.
As per my understanding from the process here is the only thing remaining for the bill:
Now if this is only taken up for Royal Assent presented to Governor General then why wait for sessions.
Where did you find the above information. Its still in Senate Second Reading.

Has it moved beyond Third?

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
It has to complete second reading in Senate, then sent to committee, then changes tabled and third reading, and voted for and thereafter Royal Assent. Long way more to go

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
subha_1962 said:
It has to complete second reading in Senate, then sent to committee, then changes tabled and third reading, and voted for and thereafter Royal Assent. Long way more to go
Actually, if the bill has been amended and passed voting in senate, it doesn't go to royal assent. The commons has to vote on the amended bill again before it becomes royal assent.

Anvatrix

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
I immigrated to Canada in August 2012 as Permanent Resident. I bet some people will relate to my concern and frustration.
Instead of applying for Citizenship after 3 years of living in Canada as PR due to Conservative Government Bill-24 I had to wait another year to be eligible to apply. And now the current government wants to reverse from 4 to 3 years physical presence requirement. Which would mean that people who came one year later will be applying at the same time with me. This may potentially create a huge backlog and increase wait times for application processing. I hate that. It is unfair. Why people who are in similar situation should be victims of these changes?

cec4111

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visa Office......
Calgary
Anvatrix said:
I immigrated to Canada in August 2012 as Permanent Resident. I bet some people will relate to my concern and frustration.
Instead of applying for Citizenship after 3 years of living in Canada as PR due to Conservative Government Bill-24 I had to wait another year to be eligible to apply. And now the current government wants to reverse from 4 to 3 years physical presence requirement. Which would mean that people who came one year later will be applying at the same time with me. This may potentially create a huge backlog and increase wait times for application processing. I hate that. It is unfair. Why people who are in similar situation should be victims of these changes?
You feel that because 1 year doesnt matter to you. Imagine if you spent few years in country as a student or on a work visa, and then a PR. It would add up 2 yrs to get a Citizenship now.

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
Anvatrix said:
I've been in Canada for 15 years and still not a citizen. Have to wait another year before I can apply. Went to high school here, university here, worked here, started a company here etc etc and yet I still have to prove that I "intend to reside in Canada".

Moreover, I am in the same pile of citizenship applications as someone who came here just 3-4 years ago and barely has any cultural or economic affiliations with Canada. The citizenship law flat out sucks because it doesnt honor long term affiliations. Talk about unfair.

So your situation isnt as bad my friend. People have it much worse.

However, if you ask me Canada has the most lax citizenship laws in the world. Its just a blessing to be here.

C-6 WILL screw people like me and you over again with wait times - but ultimately I feel getting the citizenship is still worth the extra one year.