+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
MountainLife said:
What are the chances the Bill will reach Royal Assent this year? And if it does... wouldn't that mean all of the "Citizenship Act" changes it covers come into law as well ie the 3/5 rule, pre-residency time etc? Why would the 3/5 rule take longer than the rest of the Bill?

Or are you meaning, the whole Bill won't reach Royal Assent until 2017?
MountainLife the Bill might reach Royal Assent before the end of 2016; but implementing the 3/5 rule might not be immediate; just the same way the 4/6 took time. They are already struggling with a backlog as it is, so implementing 3/5 immediately will worsen the situation unless CIC hire more staff; which is highly unlikely. My assumption is that even if the Bill is finalized, there will be a delay of a few months to over a year before 3/5 rule kicks in; which in the case of most of us here is useless as we will already qualify under 4/6 before then.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
like marcher said , basically most of the people will already qualify when the 3/5 rule kicks in . Even the pre pR time could take some time as well ... bill c-6 would make a huge difference to new PRs and future PRs

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
tyl92 said:
like marcher said , basically most of the people will already qualify when the 3/5 rule kicks in . Even the pre pR time could take some time as well ... bill c-6 would make a huge difference to new PRs and future PRs
It has been 1 year that the 4/6 rule has been in effect. It is rather quite ironic that the people who complained about having to wait 1 or 2 years now will end up qualifying under 4/6 rule by the time 3/5 rule come into effect. Basically these same people gave new PR's the ability to apply for citizenship as early as 2 years after PR. Majority of PR's didnt have a problem with the 4/6 rule only that it should apply to those landing after the 4/6 date. Now it is pretty moot as they already meet 4/6 rule when 3/5 kick in except they now have to deal with the backlog of applications who meet 3/5 and 4/6 same time.

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just letting everyone know that the bill is scheduled for a third reading in the House of Commons for tomorrow, Friday 3rd.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
dkera said:
Just letting everyone know that the bill is scheduled for a third reading in the House of Commons for tomorrow, Friday 3rd.
That s really good news every day i follow up this bill

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
artin2015 said:
That s really good news every day i follow up this bill
Well, the Senate is the real unknown here. That and how long the 3/5 rule will be until it's implemented.
Personally I don't have high hopes. I would have been eligible in October 2015, so the rule got changed to 4/6 literally 3 months before I could have applied. By the time the 3/5 gets implemented it is all but a guaranteed certainty that I'll be eligible even with the 4/6 rule.

AbdulIBX

Mar 6, 2016
dkera said:
Well, the Senate is the real unknown here. That and how long the 3/5 rule will be until it's implemented.
Personally I don't have high hopes. I would have been eligible in October 2015, so the rule got changed to 4/6 literally 3 months before I could have applied. By the time the 3/5 gets implemented it is all but a guaranteed certainty that I'll be eligible even with the 4/6 rule.
The Senate is indeed the big unknown. The Minister also expressed concerns how the Committee of the Senate will handle this Bill.

On the other hand consider yourself lucky, because you will apply before the 3/5 rule. Hence no backlog.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There hasn't been a single incident of Senate refusing a bill in last 30 years I have heard, so senate shouldn't be a problem.

Quick question - Having a Green card is an issue while applying for citizenship ?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnr said:
Don't tell them and it won't be an issue.

You tell them and cic officers will look at you with their envious eyes because deep down, many if not all canadians wanna be a US citizen.
Seriously? You are giving another person the advise to lie on his/her application? If the poster follows your advise he/she will be miss representing on the application as it clearly ask if the applicant has permanent resident status in another country. So you are giving a bad suggestion here.......

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnr said:
Weighing things my friend and not giving him the wrong information nor making him lie on his application.

How will you construe how long his application will take if he blurts out "I will be moving to America after I get my canadian citizenship"?

I'm just using me head as how smart people should.

Nobody got ahead nor rich off this world by being honest friend.
Well friend if you go through life thinking that is the way to get ahead in life and cheating that is your choice. I wouldn't specifically call that being a smart person. But the poster clearly asked if having a green card would be an issue - not if the intent to move to the states is an issue. You told him not to tell them....so that is not "weighing things" but clearly advising to give false answer on application.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
punk said:
There hasn't been a single incident of Senate refusing a bill in last 30 years I have heard, so senate shouldn't be a problem.

Quick question - Having a Green card is an issue while applying for citizenship ?
You need to brush up on senate history. The senate has killed 4 bills in the 90's. C-43 abortion bill; C-93 streaming of federal boards, C-28 Pearson Airport and C-220 profiting from authorship with respect to a crime. In 2010, killed C-311 climate change. That's less than 30 years ago.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
johnr said:
Don't tell them and it won't be an issue.

You tell them and cic officers will look at you with their envious eyes because deep down, many if not all canadians wanna be a US citizen.

Hence the deep sitted animosity to everything American because of the fact the country only accepts (greencard) educated people, individuals who have relatives to make a petition, or those with money. Applying as a canadian refugee to America would've been possible if not the politicians who smarten up and made a law between countries not to honor refugee claim of its citizens.
That is very bad advice you are giving. Misrepresentation or any type of lying on an application could lead to CIC revoking the granted citizenship in the future, and probably deporting the person in question. You definitely have to mention that you have a greencard, because most probably they will find out anyways considering the information sharing between USA and Canada. It is better to have the application delayed for further investigation, than having your citizenship revoked in the future!

His Purpose

May 19, 2015
dkera said:

is this it?
Bill C-6

An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act

Sponsor
John McCallum Liberal

Status
Third reading (House), as of June 3, 2016

Subscribe to a feed of speeches and votes in the House related to Bill C-6.

Summary
This is from the published bill. The Library of Parliament often publishes better independent summaries.

This enactment amends the Citizenship Act to, among other things,

(a) remove the grounds for the revocation of Canadian citizenship that relate to national security;

(b) remove the requirement that an applicant intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in Canada;

(c) reduce the number of days during which a person must have been physically present in Canada before applying for… read more

Elsewhere
All sorts of information on this bill is available at LEGISinfo, provided by the Library of Parliament. You can also read the full text of the bill.

Votes
May 17, 2016 Passed That Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act, {as amended}, be concurred in at report stage [with a further amendment/with further amendments] .March 21, 2016 Passed That the Bill be now read a second time and referred to the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration.
House debate
All House mentions

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
i heard this week voting to third reading of Bill c-6 then will go for senate.
3 jun they did third reading so this week vote one more time

saber786

Nov 7, 2013
as per the projection, C-6 may not be discussed this week:

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 8, 2016
Private Members' Business
C-233 — Mr. Nicholson (Niagara Falls) — National Strategy for Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias Act — Second reading (resuming debate)

THURSDAY, JUNE 9, 2016
Business of Supply
6th allotted day

C-226 — Mr. Blaney (Bellechasse—Les Etchemins—Lévis) — Impaired Driving Act — Second reading (resuming debate)

FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 2016
C-210 — Mr. Bélanger (Ottawa—Vanier) — An Act to amend the National Anthem Act (gender) — Report stage