+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

tourist visa - pregnancy

Himavarsha Seshadri

Mar 1, 2019
Hi,
we are from India.
My husband has been approved for canada work permit visa.
I am pregnant (5 months). I would really like to be with my husband.
I would like to know if I can travel on tourist visa.
What happens if I give birth in canada? will baby get canadian citizenship?
Can I extend my tourist visa and is there any procedure to convert it into dependent visa?
How much will medical charges cost?

Thanks in advance

Himavarsha Seshadri

Mar 1, 2019
will child get canadian citizenship?
Will child and I be asked to travel back to india if tourist visa is not extended?
If that is the case, can I apply for dependent immediately once I return?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you engage in medical tourism and have the child in Canada, yes, the child will get Canadian citizenship.

You will be required to leave Canada if your visa status is not extended. If you do not leave, you will be deported.

You can attempt to apply for a dependent visa. You may not be approved.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your husband chose not to list you as an accompanying dependent on his work permit to either get more points or speed up his application. This is now the consequence of that choice.

You should not apply for a work permit with a non-accompanying spouse who you actually intend to have accompany you. It's not lying, but it's the closest thing, and now you have to deal with that.

If you come to Canada, deliver the baby, and do not pay the potentially very expensive bills, you can forget about getting future visas.

Himavarsha Seshadri

Mar 1, 2019
We had applied for dependent visa for me. Due to X-ray in medical examination, we had to withdraw my application. (since I was advised not to undergo X-ray by my gynecologist).
We are looking for alternate options.
It would be great if we are provided with information regarding alternate options :)

Many pregnant women would need this information as x-ray is only obstacle for us to get dependent visa approved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We had applied for dependent visa for me. Due to X-ray in medical examination, we had to withdraw my application. (since I was advised not to undergo X-ray by my gynecologist).
It would be great if we are provided with information regarding alternate options :)

Many pregnant women would need this information as x-ray is only obstacle for us to get dependent visa approved.
There's no alternate option. If you wish to come to Canada, you must complete the x-ray.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada

It was not due to the x-ray that you had to withdraw. Your doctors told you they would not complete the x-ray until you delivered your child, and would not sign off on the medical until then. You decided at that point to not delay your husband's work permit until you had delivered the child.

I understand that what you are likely trying to do is be with your husband and deliver the child in Canada so it has Canadian citizenship and you can then try to stay in Canada longer, perhaps obtaining PR. There's nothing wrong with that. But you made a choice to not delay your husband's work permit by withdrawing your application. Now you have to wait and deal with it.

Your withdrawal on the dependent application will be on your file. If you apply for another tourist visa, IRCC may deny it because they will not believe you are a genuine visitor - because you're not. You want to stay with your husband. That's a fair desire on your part, but you have to be aware of what may happen.

It gets more complicated. CBSA may have questions for you at the border. They will know your husband is in Canada. They may just wave you through with no questions, or they may decide that you are not a genuine visitor and deny you entry. Especially if you're visibly pregnant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you do get a TRV, which is far from guaranteed, you could be asked once you arrive at the Canadian airport to provide proof of insurance coverage or funds to cover the cost of a delivery in Canada. You can be sent back that day if they don’t believe you have the finances to pay the medical costs. Your child will not have coverage upon delivery so the costs could be huge if your child ends up in the NICU even for a day. An Australian couple are paying off a million dollar bill because they were on vacation in Canada and had their twins.

Reactions: Himavarsha Seshadri

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Your husband chose not to list you as an accompanying dependent on his work permit to either get more points or speed up his application. This is now the consequence of that choice.

You should not apply for a work permit with a non-accompanying spouse who you actually intend to have accompany you. It's not lying, but it's the closest thing, and now you have to deal with that.

If you come to Canada, deliver the baby, and do not pay the potentially very expensive bills, you can forget about getting future visas.
No points involved in a work permit app.

It's pretty standard to apply without spouses included. IRCC doesn't look at it negatively.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you do get a TRV, which is far from guaranteed, you could be asked once you arrive at the Canadian airport to provide proof of insurance coverage or funds to cover the cost of a delivery in Canada. You can be sent back that day if they don’t believe you have the finances to pay the medical costs. Your child will not have coverage upon delivery so the costs could be huge if your child ends up in the NICU even for a day. An Australian couple are paying off a million dollar bill because they were on vacation in Canada and had their twins.
Why do you assume the child will not be covered? The father is here on a work permit, so it is quite likely that he has coverage and therefore the child would also be covered.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No points involved in a work permit app.

It's pretty standard to apply without spouses included. IRCC doesn't look at it negatively.
Sure, no points, but OP said they withdrew after they found out an x-ray was required. She didn't want to delay her husband's work permit. Makes perfect sense.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sure, no points, but OP said they withdrew after they found out an x-ray was required. She didn't want to delay her husband's work permit. Makes perfect sense.
And that was fine for her to do. It is not seen as a negative.