01-05-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-06-2013
LANDED..........
18-07-2013
Hi,

Am working in Canada for last 2 yrs as an intra company transfer employee. My company has filed for WP extension for another 2 yrs. Would like to know for total how many yrs the WP can be extended. I landed in Canada in Jul'2010.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
"The validity of your permit cannot extend the expiry of your passport," as succinctly stated in the official CIC guide here.

(As a side note: When one says "landed in Canada," the context per this forum would induce one to conclude that you're already a PR, which you're not as far as I can tell.)

virajrao

Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-04-2013
Med's Done....
01-05-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-06-2013
LANDED..........
18-07-2013
Empirical-Scientist said:
"The validity of your permit cannot extend the expiry of your passport," as succinctly stated in the official CIC guide here.

(As a side note: When one says "landed in Canada," the context per this forum would induce one to conclude that you're already a PR, which you're not as far as I can tell.)
I believe the post is in Foreign Workers section, so the term "landed" applies to temporary workers ;)

The CIC guide provided by you, does not mention the no. of yrs the WP can be extended. If my passport validity is till 2019, can I extend the WP till that period. Don't think so.

virajrao

Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-04-2013
Med's Done....
01-05-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-06-2013
LANDED..........
18-07-2013
If you know the answer, why ask :).
Read my question carefully. I need to know, "how many yrs in total WP can be extended"?. Hope am clear now. :)

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
virajrao said:
Read my question carefully. I need to know, "how many yrs in total WP can be extended"?. Hope am clear now. :)
Read the guide, here's a quote from it: "Starting on April 1, 2011, you will be able to work in Canada for a maximum period of four years. "

virajrao

Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-04-2013
Med's Done....
01-05-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-06-2013
LANDED..........
18-07-2013
Read the guide, here's a quote from it: "Starting on April 1, 2011, you will be able to work in Canada for a maximum period of four years. "
I think for Intra company transferred employees it works differently. Have a look at link below

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf

Refer Page 70

Duration of stay:
Executives and Managers: initial maximum three years, unless office start-up (one year); two-year renewals allowable; total period of stay may not exceed seven years.

Specialized knowledge workers: initial maximum three years, unless office start-up (one year); two-year renewals allowable; total period of stay may not exceed five years.

Breaks in Canadian service
Most foreign nationals who have worked in Canada under the intra-company transferee category may again receive consideration under this category if they have been on an assignment with a branch of the same company in a foreign jurisdiction for at least 12 months. This includes all NAFTA applicants pursuant to T24 and specialized knowledge applicants under C12. Please refer to Section 11.2.

For example, a foreign national who worked in Canada as a specialized knowledge worker for two years for the Canadian entity, then transferred to an Australian branch of the same company for two years, would be eligible for consideration under the intra-company transferee provisions as a specialized worker for another five-year period, with the initial work permit not exceeding the three-year maximum duration under C12.

Recaptured Time

Normally, the duration of the work permit will be used to calculate the maximum five or seven-year time limit. However, documented time spent outside Canada during the duration of the work permit can be ―recaptured‖ to allow the ICT five or seven full years of physical presence in Canada.

For example, if an ICT senior manager has a work permit for one year and spends two 2-month stints over the course of the 12 months working in the US, then only eight months would count against their seven-year limit as an ICT.

Intra-company transferee duration of work permit limit

After intra-company transferees have reached their maximum work permit duration (seven years for executives and senior managers and five years for specialized knowledge workers), they must complete one year of full-time employment in the company outside Canada if they wish to re-apply as an intra-company transferee. This requirement, which exists in NAFTA, applies to all intra-company transferees, whether they enter under the IRPA general provisions of R205(a) or under international trade agreement provisions of R204(a). It also applies to foreign nationals who wish to switch from a work permit issued under R205(a) to a work permit issued under R204(a).

Harmonization of NAFTA and the general provisions will help employers in human resource planning and simplify the administration of intra-company transferees provisions for foreign nationals and immigration and visa officers.

For complete details refer section 5.31 - Canadian Interests: Significant benefit—intra-company transferees R205(a), C12

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I believe you've answered your question:

Executives and Managers: initial maximum three years, unless office start-up (one year); two-year renewals allowable; total period of stay may not exceed seven years.

Specialized knowledge workers: initial maximum three years, unless office start-up (one year); two-year renewals allowable; total period of stay may not exceed five years.

If the total period of stay may not exceed 7 yrs or 5 yrs(depending which category you belong to) then your work permit renewals may not exceed the same period. You can do the math on how many renewals you are allowed.

virajrao

Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-04-2013
Med's Done....
01-05-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-06-2013
LANDED..........
18-07-2013
SenoritaBella said:
I believe you've answered your question:

If the total period of stay may not exceed 7 yrs or 5 yrs(depending which category you belong to) then your work permit renewals may not exceed the same period. You can do the math on how many renewals you are allowed.
Thx