+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto - short landing (2)

lego9247

Aug 10, 2017
Hi,

I will do a short landing early November. I know I should apply PR card at airport immediately. i want to know what should I prepare for it? Such as filling some forms, passport photos, etc? Please advise.

Thanks!!

Regards,
Jeffrey

R

rish888

Hi,

I will do a short landing early November. I know I should apply PR card at airport immediately. i want to know what should I prepare for it? Such as filling some forms, passport photos, etc? Please advise.

Thanks!!

Regards,
Jeffrey
CIC send you your first PR card automatically. The officer at the airport will take some address info from you. You don't need to do anything.

lego9247

Aug 10, 2017
I just land last night. It just takes 15-20mins. Very smooth and simple. I have provided my friend’s address to receive my PR card. I begin to doubt that when I can apply a Canadian passport? Can anyone advise?

Btw, when I left the immigration office, I would pick one book “Welcome to Canada” at the counter but the officer did not allow. i felt upset and puzzled.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I just land last night. It just takes 15-20mins. Very smooth and simple. I have provided my friend’s address to receive my PR card. I begin to doubt that when I can apply a Canadian passport? Can anyone advise?

Btw, when I left the immigration office, I would pick one book “Welcome to Canada” at the counter but the officer did not allow. i felt upset and puzzled.
Not sure what you mean apply for a Canadian passport as you have only just landed as a PR and you need to be a citizen to apply for a passport.

You need to establish a physical presence in Canada for a number of years (3 years out of 5 at time of citizenship application)as a PR before you can apply for citizenship, then you can apply for a passport. Until then you need your home country passport and your PR card to be able to travel.

Read here for citizenship requirements
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

prankysayu

Oct 18, 2017
CIC send you your first PR card automatically. The officer at the airport will take some address info from you. You don't need to do anything.
Hi

I am also planning for a short landing about 3 weeks at Toronto and I am planning to provide my aunt's address for mailing my PR card.

My worry is that since my Aunt lives in Scarborough, Toronto, would I be obligated to pick up the PR card from CIC or would it be just a secondary option with the primary option being delivered by mail?

Also what would you suggest are the formalities or aspects I can eventually complete in these 3 weeks apart from the PR card application?

Appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Thank you.

R

rish888

Hi

I am also planning for a short landing about 3 weeks at Toronto and I am planning to provide my aunt's address for mailing my PR card.

My worry is that since my Aunt lives in Scarborough, Toronto, would I be obligated to pick up the PR card from CIC or would it be just a secondary option with the primary option being delivered by mail?

Also what would you suggest are the formalities or aspects I can eventually complete in these 3 weeks apart from the PR card application?

Thank you.
They should just mail it. They may need you to come over, I'm not 100% sure on how this works.

In 3 weeks you can get a SIN card and that's about it.

Stuff like a health card, driver's license etc you should wait until you are actually in Canada.

I would spend those 3 weeks looking at the job market, apartment/house hunting, and deciding if you want to live in Toronto or someplace else. (As a PR you can live and work wherever you want, including Quebec.)

prankysayu

Oct 18, 2017
They should just mail it. They may need you to come over, I'm not 100% sure on how this works.

In 3 weeks you can get a SIN card and that's about it.

Stuff like a health card, driver's license etc you should wait until you are actually in Canada.

I would spend those 3 weeks looking at the job market, apartment/house hunting, and deciding if you want to live in Toronto or someplace else. (As a PR you can live and work wherever you want, including Quebec.)
Thank you for your reply @rish888 .

Although the PR card delivery part is still not very reassuring. On the other hand you are right, I could use the stay for hunting jobs as well.

I request other members to please suggest some reassuring replies regarding the PR Card delivery query or rather "fright" I have posted here.

Vpalanimuthu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Thank you for your reply @rish888 .

Although the PR card delivery part is still not very reassuring. On the other hand you are right, I could use the stay for hunting jobs as well.

I request other members to please suggest some reassuring replies regarding the PR Card delivery query or rather "fright" I have posted here.
Check the threads in settlement issues forum. Lot of threads would verify that it's not a problem to mail it to your relatives

lego9247

Aug 10, 2017
I just landed and the officer told me that my friend will get the PR card in 8 weeks. I plan to move to Canada in Dec next year. My question is that before moving to Canada, will I be obligated to pay tax for my income earned outside? Will I be obligated to report tax?

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Hi

Thank you.
Once in Canada , you can do the following
- apply for SIN. For some this happens at the POE
- open a bank account
- if possible get a credit card. This can help you in building credit history
- if you have to start from scratch, apply for driving license if possible. There is a waiting period before one can apply for the next level, hence your time out of Canada would help.
- medical insurance avoid. However, would like someone to confirm.
- as you would be returning to you home country, make arrangements for receiving the PR card. PR card can only be delivered to a Canadian address. So you would need a Canadian address and then forward the card to your home country. Look into the different options available. Alternatively, you can apply for PRTD and use it for entering Canada. This can avoid the PR card being sent by courier.