+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto Postdoc Opinion

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Dear Fellows,

I have a potential offer of PostDoc Fellowship in Toronto (ON) with an annual package of CAD 55,000 + Benefits. I don't know yet about the exact benefits, but one thing is certain that FAMILY INSURANCE & DENTAL would be covered, as per their policy. Postdoc fellowship is a Taxable Income, I don't know yet what exact would be my NET Salary.

I have a family with 1 Child (3 Yrs), do you think this package is sufficient enough to maintain a good life standard in Toronto? I am a bit skeptical about it.

Your valuable opinions would be appreciated, kindly share your experience.

Would such offer help me to get any points in EE?

Thanks!

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Fellows,

I have a potential offer of PostDoc Fellowship in Toronto (ON) with an annual package of CAD 55,000 + Benefits. I don't know yet about the exact benefits, but one thing is certain that FAMILY INSURANCE & DENTAL would be covered, as per their policy. Postdoc fellowship is a Taxable Income, I don't know yet what exact would be my NET Salary.

I have a family with 1 Child (3 Yrs), do you think this package is sufficient enough to maintain a good life standard in Toronto? I am a bit skeptical about it.

Your valuable opinions would be appreciated, kindly share your experience.

Would such offer help me to get any points in EE?

Thanks!
Congrats, you are lucky! Having a job offer from Canada gives you extra points. I tried very hard to get a Canada postdoc but it is insanely difficult. I don't know what your situation is (so I can't give you more customized advice) but a job offer definitely boosts your points, I believe you get 200 points for "Arranged Employment". See below the link for the CIC points calculator:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

Reactions: jojee2k6

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Congrats, you are lucky! Having a job offer from Canada gives you extra points. I tried very hard to get a Canada postdoc but it is insanely difficult. I don't know what your situation is (so I can't give you more customized advice) but a job offer definitely boosts your points, I believe you get 200 points for "Arranged Employment". See below the link for the CIC points calculator:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp
Wow That's really some news, are you sure, such PostDoc Fellowshop offer would give me 200 points? I was thinking that PostDoc Fellowship offers are not being considered by CIC. Are you really sure? So, If I am expecting offer letter next week, means I can update my profile to get 200 Points which means direct ITA. o_O:p

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow That's really some news, are you sure, such PostDoc Fellowshop offer would give me 200 points? I was thinking that PostDoc Fellowship offers are not being considered by CIC. Are you really sure? So, If I am expecting offer letter next week, means I can update my profile to get 200 Points which means direct ITA. o_O:p
Postdoc is not like PhD work (as, say, a research assistant). As far as I know it is a legitimate job. It's full-time work that isn't done as part of a degree program. So you got it made, it should give a nice boost. Mazel tov!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It all comes down to what kind of lifestyle you want / expect. Do you plan to have a car? Do you want to live in a house or is a small older apartment OK? Do you eat out a lot? Do you want nice vacations? My answer is that it will give you an OK standard of living - I wouldn't say good or great.

After tax, you'll be sitting at around $42K with a salary of $55K.

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
It all comes down to what kind of lifestyle you want / expect. Do you plan to have a car? Do you want to live in a house or is a small older apartment OK? Do you eat out a lot? Do you want nice vacations? My answer is that it will give you an OK standard of living - I wouldn't say good or great.

After tax, you'll be sitting at around $42K with a salary of $55K.
Wow, I am surprised by this. This tax rate is almost comparable to US (federal + state + FICA). I thought it would be much higher and much less take-home pay.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow, I am surprised by this. This tax rate is almost comparable to US (federal + state + FICA). I thought it would be much higher and much less take-home pay.
Canada is more expensive to live in (generally) than the US - however these costs are typically buried elsewhere. Car insurance is quite a bit more here for example. So are many purchases (everything from food to electronics to shoes to cars). Also, in Toronto you'll pay 13% on top of many purchases.

I'll be honest - I think that's a low salary and there are a number of sacrifices you'll have to make (e.g. what kind of place you rent, how much you eat out). But again, all depends on your lifestyle and expectations.

Reactions: dr feras

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
That would be living on bare minimum if you do your calculations. Toronto isnt cheap. Like scylla said it depends on you at the end. Rent is expensive. From looking on the net when I was searching accomodations, going out of downtown for sure, decent 2 bedroom flats are at least 1200-1400. Rest depends on how much you spend. I donot think st this rate you would be eating out alot or being able to save alot.
But if you are doing it to at least step a foot in canada, then might be worth it. Gotta remember that us new comers are treated as freshers, with no canadian experience. So we cant expect alot to begin with.
Good luck

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Postdoc is not like PhD work (as, say, a research assistant). As far as I know it is a legitimate job. It's full-time work that isn't done as part of a degree program. So you got it made, it should give a nice boost. Mazel tov!
Thanks for the wonderful information. Though I am still a bit skeptical about it.. as receiving different arguments about that. Some people here on forum are saying that I can't claim, and some saying yes I can claim.
This job offer is full-time (30 hours per week) for 2-years fixed term project, contract would be issued from University with 55K + Benefits (includes family insurance + dental, further benefits, I am uncertain at this moment).
Regarding the 42K gross, I appreciate everyone's remarks, though I too not expecting such high standard life, but a normal reasonable. I do understand that point, yet I just wanted to know net. and hence trying to negotiate with university about package. Fingers crossed. But the main concern of me here is now about getting points through this offer. for that I want more opinions, please share with me.
I am already in a pool so if it gives me points, that would guarantee direct ITA.

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the wonderful information. Though I am still a bit skeptical about it.. as receiving different arguments about that. Some people here on forum are saying that I can't claim, and some saying yes I can claim.
This job offer is full-time (30 hours per week) for 2-years fixed term project, contract would be issued from University with 55K + Benefits (includes family insurance + dental, further benefits, I am uncertain at this moment).
Regarding the 42K gross, I appreciate everyone's remarks, though I too not expecting such high standard life, but a normal reasonable. I do understand that point, yet I just wanted to know net. and hence trying to negotiate with university about package. Fingers crossed. But the main concern of me here is now about getting points through this offer. for that I want more opinions, please share with me.
I am already in a pool so if it gives me points, that would guarantee direct ITA.
People might be mixing up 2 things, one is your question, and the other is a totally different thing which is for people trying to gain canadian work experience while on a post doctoral program using a study permit, as according to cic that doesnt count.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge in this subject can clear your doubts.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
People might be mixing up 2 things, one is your question, and the other is a totally different thing which is for people trying to gain canadian work experience while on a post doctoral program using a study permit, as according to cic that doesnt count.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge in this subject can clear your doubts.
Thanks for the reply, perhaps people are really mixing it.
Well I agree it all depends upon life style and expectations, though I am FSW and considering this opportunity to land in Canada, by having ambitions and normal expectations.

Besides all above, I would like to discuss something, @dr feras and @scylla help me with that, and other seniors:
  1. My University will give me 55K + Family Insurance + Dental + Other Benefits (which will be certain in next week, when they will send me contract). In addition to that, they realized my family situation hence, PI would be arranging some internship offer in an company for me, just as an add-on to give me financial boost perhaps. I hope this would help too. Additionally, University would give some initial settlement funds, they are exploring (as they told me) about what kind of one-time settlement can be provided to me. Concretely would be known by next week. Considering all updates, do you think It would be sufficient enough to live a OK life not in surviving mode or misery?
  2. As far as I understood, this postdoc is exempted from LMIA under some C44 law, don't know exact. NOC code would 4011 I think (Skill Type A perhaps), do you think I would be eligible to get 50 points or higher or nothing? As so far, I have not got concrete answer rather mixed situations. For me, this one is more important as compare to being skeptical about financial stability, I am FSW currently in Pool with <400 CRS, so if such offer would give me points, my score would become +400 to get direct ITA.
Further I will update details, when will get contract. I kindly request seniors to provide me rightful assistance.
Thanks!

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply, perhaps people are really mixing it.
Well I agree it all depends upon life style and expectations, though I am FSW and considering this opportunity to land in Canada, by having ambitions and normal expectations.

Besides all above, I would like to discuss something, @dr feras and @scylla help me with that, and other seniors:
  1. My University will give me 55K + Family Insurance + Dental + Other Benefits (which will be certain in next week, when they will send me contract). In addition to that, they realized my family situation hence, PI would be arranging some internship offer in an company for me, just as an add-on to give me financial boost perhaps. I hope this would help too. Additionally, University would give some initial settlement funds, they are exploring (as they told me) about what kind of one-time settlement can be provided to me. Concretely would be known by next week. Considering all updates, do you think It would be sufficient enough to live a OK life not in surviving mode or misery?
  2. As far as I understood, this postdoc is exempted from LMIA under some C44 law, don't know exact. NOC code would 4011 I think (Skill Type A perhaps), do you think I would be eligible to get 50 points or higher or nothing? As so far, I have not got concrete answer rather mixed situations. For me, this one is more important as compare to being skeptical about financial stability, I am FSW currently in Pool with <400 CRS, so if such offer would give me points, my score would become +400 to get direct ITA.
Further I will update details, when will get contract. I kindly request seniors to provide me rightful assistance.
Thanks!
In regards to your work offer, I'll tell you my honest opinion as if it was me in your situation. I would take it in a heartbeat. Think about it, it means you land in canada with a job related to your field. Thats much better than having to search after landing, with a family as well, you will be under so much pressure. Other thing is the canadian experience you would get. I tell you if they told me to work as a doctor for free I would do it, having such local exposure will give you a huge bonus in your career. Plus we dont know the extra allowance and settlement package they are offering, thats a good bonus whatever it is.
Now when it comes to how much points you would get, I would lie if i said i knew. But whether its 200 or just 50, they would both increase your chances and thats even a bigger reason to accept. Its very rare to get jobs offered to peopke abroad before even landing.
Hope some1 can help you with the 2nd part.
@legalfalcon might be your man. Good luck

Reactions: crescent_jam

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
In regards to your work offer, I'll tell you my honest opinion as if it was me in your situation. I would take it in a heartbeat. Think about it, it means you land in canada with a job related to your field. Thats much better than having to search after landing, with a family as well, you will be under so much pressure. Other thing is the canadian experience you would get. I tell you if they told me to work as a doctor for free I would do it, having such local exposure will give you a huge bonus in your career. Plus we dont know the extra allowance and settlement package they are offering, thats a good bonus whatever it is.
Now when it comes to how much points you would get, I would lie if i said i knew. But whether its 200 or just 50, they would both increase your chances and thats even a bigger reason to accept. Its very rare to get jobs offered to peopke abroad before even landing.
Hope some1 can help you with the 2nd part.
@legalfalcon might be your man. Good luck
Yeahp 100% agreed, as a matter of fact, in a heartbeat accepted that offer, but later you know how peers mess up with our minds, when I discussed among my peers, they started to say oh 55K is too low, how would you survive there blah blah, then it made me skeptical, but thanks to all members here, who gave me broader perspective, of course, you are absolutely right and I am quite happy. But, as I am in a pool hence was planning to update profile info. once got confirmed. further when contract will come, would be clarified.
Additionally, I checked with @legalfalcon, as always the right man! :) he also awaits for the contract to any further advice and authentic info. about points or no points. Let's see! thanks again!

Reactions: dr feras