+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto or Vancouver?

Russian

May 14, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear friends, I applied for PR and hope to move this year to Canada. I have a choice which worried thousands of immigrants.

What city is better? Toronto or Vancouver? The climate and nature are great in BC but I heard that job opportinities are very poor.

What about rent prices? Taxes? Maybe someone lived in both cities? Please advise

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Russian said:
Dear friends, I applied for PR and hope to move this year to Canada. I have a choice which worried thousands of immigrants.

What city is better? Toronto or Vancouver? The climate and nature are great in BC but I heard that job oppurtinities are very poor.

What about rent prices? Taxes? Maybe someone lived in both cities? Please advise
Like you already mentioned the ups and downs, it all comes to what you are looking for. What kind of work you want to do? If you want to be more into Tech, Finance, fashion then Toronto is more suited. If you are into hospitality, finance, tourism etc then probably vancouver is better. The above mentioned jobs are more for example purpose only. Please research the availability of jobs in both locations that you are planning to do. Vancouver is definitely beautiful but remember it rains a lot there ;). Also, the roads are narrow and houses are expensive. On the other hand Toronto gets all 4 seasons. Wide plains and roads. Houses a little less expensive.

It all depends what are you looking for. Both places are great.

a0

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They're both expensive cities, but Toronto is cheaper.

Vancouver may look good on postards, but personally I think it's overrated (lots of ugly buildings, a lot of homeless people on the streets, etc.). House prices are ridiculously high. And it's very difficult to find a good job here, especially if you don't have Canadian work experience and references, or Canadian education.

I spent a couple of weeks in Toronto (I have some family and friends in that area) and they all have jobs and in general are quite happy with their lives. And if you like European food, it's much cheaper in Toronto.

Russian

May 14, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also heard that it is much easier to get everywhere from Toronto and prices for airtickets are cheaper. Is that true?

And I read that in Toronto there are always lots of different activities like concerts, shows, stars visiting etc and nothing like that in Van.

a0

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Russian said:
And I read that in Toronto there are always lots of different activities like concerts, shows, stars visiting etc and nothing like that in Van.
True.
Vancouver, on the other hand, is better when it comes to outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, kayaking, etc.).

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a0 said:
True.
Vancouver, on the other hand, is better when it comes to outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, kayaking, etc.).
No, there are also concerts in Vancouver. Adele will be in concert in Vancouver this coming July.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Russian said:
I also heard that it is much easier to get everywhere from Toronto and prices for airtickets are cheaper. Is that true?
Depends on your destination...

a0

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
No, there are also concerts in Vancouver. Adele will be in concert in Vancouver this coming July.
But there's no comparison with Toronto. The same with other events. For me personally, there's nothing I want to go and see here, while in Toronto there are lots of concerts and other events I'd love to attend. Obviously it all depends on the kind of entertainment and music everyone likes. I don't like Adele :( But since you mentioned her, she's playing 2 nights in Vancouver, but 4 in Toronto.

Le Tachaque

Jan 15, 2016
If you want to avoid winter weather conditions that remind you of the Russian winter, Vancouver is better for you. If you don`t mind the cold at all, Toronto it is. Finding a proper job is hard to impossible everywhere in Canada right now, but I`m not sure whether Toronto or Vancouver is worse. To live well until you find a job though, Toronto is substantially cheaper. It`s also a little more vivacious because of its size, and yes, you are right about the flights too. There are also more Russians in Toronto than in Vancouver, if you care about that. In fact a Russian friend of mine chose Vancouver over Toronto upon moving to Canada mainly because of that ;D

Russian

May 14, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Le Tachaque said:
If you want to avoid winter weather conditions that remind you of the Russian winter, Vancouver is better for you. If you don`t mind the cold at all, Toronto it is. Finding a proper job is hard to impossible everywhere in Canada right now, but I`m not sure whether Toronto or Vancouver is worse. To live well until you find a job though, Toronto is substantially cheaper. It`s also a little more vivacious because of its size, and yes, you are right about the flights too. There are also more Russians in Toronto than in Vancouver, if you care about that. In fact a Russian friend of mine chose Vancouver over Toronto upon moving to Canada mainly because of that ;D
Thank you for response. I support your friend in his motivation :)

I prefer BC for sure but I have some doubts about finding a job. Perhaps it would be easier in GTA. On the other hand I have experience as a Corporate Sales Manager in Starwood hotel. Maybe the hospitality industry is more developed in Vancouver.

Le Tachaque

Jan 15, 2016
Pozhaluista... But I have to give you yet another warning here. The friend in question is a pretty young girl who worked as a hotel manager in Novosibirsk. Maybe not a particularly exciting woman for Russian standards, but compared to Canadian girls she's very attractive. And in spite of all that, nobody took her Russian experience seriously, and she delivers pizza for a living. Mind you, her English sucked when she first got here. But it's ok now, she only makes the typical Russian mistakes such as saying "I go in for sports", but otherwise she speaks the lingo well enough to do any job other than extreme ones that require impeccable English, such as being a lawyer and that. She still can't find any meaningful employment. If you're a man, it'll only be harder for you, even if you're willing to do physical work for a while.

Russian

May 14, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Le Tachaque said:
Pozhaluista... But I have to give you yet another warning here. The friend in question is a pretty young girl who worked as a hotel manager in Novosibirsk. Maybe not a particularly exciting woman for Russian standards, but compared to Canadian girls she's very attractive. And in spite of all that, nobody took her Russian experience seriously, and she delivers pizza for a living. Mind you, her English sucked when she first got here. But it's ok now, she only makes the typical Russian mistakes such as saying "I go in for sports", but otherwise she speaks the lingo well enough to do any job other than extreme ones that require impeccable English, such as being a lawyer and that. She still can't find any meaningful employment. If you're a man, it'll only be harder for you, even if you're willing to do physical work for a while.
My friend has found a job in Toronro in less than a month with salary 25CAD/hour. So each case is individual and luck should also be on your side. I'm in charge of staff of 40 employees in my home country and I'm not coming to Canada to do physical work. I have enough money to support myself enough time to find a job which meets my expectations.

OhToronto

Feb 24, 2016
Climate vise Vancouver is better (well it rains a lot, people from UK may like it), Job wise I believe Toronto is better.