+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto - 1st Landing - Short Landing

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Greetings,

I have received my COPR and it is valid till 23 Mar-18. i am planning to travel by 15 Mar-18 and return within two weeks. My queries are:

1) Is it safe to travel at such last moment?
2) I will be doing the same as many others - Provide a local address of a friend who will then courier me my PR card. Is this legal? How risky is it?
3) What happens if i return and IRCC requests for additional information for ex. photos etc
4) What happens if i couldnt receive my PR card? Is my PR cancelled or is there a way out?
5) Can i tell the immigration officer at the POE that i will be returning after two weeks?

Appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Greetings,

I have received my COPR and it is valid till 23 Mar-18. i am planning to travel by 15 Mar-18 and return within two weeks. My queries are:

2) I will be doing the same as many others - Provide a local address of a friend who will then courier me my PR card. Is this legal? How risky is it?
3) What happens if i return and IRCC requests for additional information for ex. photos etc
4) What happens if i couldnt receive my PR card? Is my PR cancelled or is there a way out?
5) Can i tell the immigration officer at the POE that i will be returning after two weeks?

Appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance.
1. Yes, perfectly safe
2. Yes it's fine. However if you tell the CBSA officer it's not actually your address and is that of a friend, they may tell you to wait until you're back in Canada permanently to apply for 1st PR card.
3. Then your PR card would be delayed until you get them that info.
4. You can apply for PR card again once back in Canada if you need to
5. How will you return in 2 weeks?? PR card may take months to arrive to your friend's address.
If you don't have a valid PR card, then to fly back to Canada you'll need a PR Travel Document from the country you're in, or will need to enter via USA land border if you don't want to apply for PR TD.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Yes
Nothing illegal or risky!
This is a risk you should be vary of...
Not getting a PR card does not affect your PR status. It is just that you might have to apply for a PRTD in that case when you enter Canada next
Yes, you can. They might dissuade you from applying for PR card...

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Thank you guys. highly appreciate your inputs.

Where can one apply for PRTD? Canadian Embassy?
And what does the residency obligation means when applying for PRTD? Does it means that i have minimum of 2 years left before my PR is expired?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you guys. highly appreciate your inputs.

Where can one apply for PRTD? Canadian Embassy?
And what does the residency obligation means when applying for PRTD? Does it means that i have minimum of 2 years left before my PR is expired?
No you don't apply at embassy, you apply at a VAC (Visa Application Centre). Locations that serve all countries are here, under "Submit your Application": http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/index.asp

For the RO, as long as you haven't been outside Canada 3 years since landing, you would automatically meet the RO.