+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

torn apart about the program choice for masters

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Hello,
I'm a last-year psy. student and I'm contemplating so much on doing my master's in psychology, marketing, or UX. I can not decide because of the visa situation, i have heard multiple times that it would be better to pick something that fits your previous education so i thought applying to master's in organizational psychology would be a good choice but i would rather study marketing because i don't want to work in HR or stay in academia for now. UX is another field that interests me greatly but im not sure if the visa office would understand how its related to psychology (although a lot of psy grads work in the field). Any help would be appreciated :((

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
I'm a last-year psy. student and I'm contemplating so much on doing my master's in psychology, marketing, or UX. I can not decide because of the visa situation, i have heard multiple times that it would be better to pick something that fits your previous education so i thought applying to master's in organizational psychology would be a good choice but i would rather study marketing because i don't want to work in HR or stay in academia for now. UX is another field that interests me greatly but im not sure if the visa office would understand how its related to psychology (although a lot of psy grads work in the field). Any help would be appreciated :((
Haven’t you been asking the same question for a few years. Talk to a career counsellor. You have to decide what is best for your career advancement. Nothing to do with Canadian immigration.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/student-visa-from-psychology-to-hr.742455/

Last edited:

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Well i did decide on my career route.. but to me both would be okay, i can get into marketing with I/O Psy as well as with marketing

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Well i did decide on my career route.. but to me both would be okay, i can get into marketing with I/O Psy as well as with marketing
So it is your career. This is not an immigration issue. Your show how further education will lead to career advancement and better pay in your home country.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
tbh I/O psychology field in my home country is very poor.. so idk how i can justify that but it is in the same field (psychology).. marketing or UX design is better but still weak as well, i know some people who switch from marketing to UX so it can lead to similar jobs

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
tbh I/O psychology field in my home country is very poor.. so idk how i can justify that but it is in the same field (psychology).. marketing or UX design is better but still weak as well, i know some people who switch from marketing to UX so it can lead to similar jobs
Ok. So you need to show how you are justifying Canadian education costs with jobs in home home country.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Ok. So you need to show how you are justifying Canadian education costs with jobs in home home country.
Can i just say that since UX design programs do not exist in my country, i wanted to apply to canadian schools because the program fee is almost the same for schools in europe anyways (UK, netherlands etc.) and the teaching language is in English

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
would it be a nice statement?
No one here is a career counsellor. I don’t know how you are tying your degree and work experience into this program, and justifying costs to come to Canada. You have to show career opportunities in home country with higher pay then what you would get now.

Last edited:

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
No one here is a career counsellor. I don’t know how you are tying your degree and work experience into this program, and justifying costs to come to Canada.
I don't have any work experience yet except for 2 internships one as a marketing intern and the other one at a research lab during my studies, i did my internship in marketing to see if i would like the field or not, and took 2 marketing classes outside my degree program to learn the theory. The reason why i prefer to study in Canada is because the education is better there and the Marketing programs in my country only accept business/marketing students

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don't have any work experience yet except for 2 internships one as a marketing intern and the other one at a research lab during my studies, i did my internship in marketing to see if i would like the field or not, and took 2 marketing classes outside my degree program to learn the theory. The reason why i prefer to study in Canada is because the education is better there and the Marketing programs in my country only accept business/marketing students
So having no work experience is an issue, and no relation to the program you want to take. Is the program a Masters because without work experience taking a post grad diploma makes no sense. Why does Canada have better education than where you are studying now. You have to prove why you must come to Canada without work experience, ties to home country and taking a program that doesn’t match your current degree. You seem like a profile just trying to immigrate.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
So having no work experience is an issue, and no relation to the program you want to take. Is the program a Masters because without work experience taking a post grad diploma makes no sense. Why does Canada have better education than where you are studying now. You have to prove why you must come to Canada without work experience, ties to home country and taking a program that doesn’t match your current degree. You seem like a profile just trying to immigrate.
yes its masters most people continue their master's and Ph.D. without having work experience they apply during their last year of bachelor in my field bc a master's is necessary to even start an entry-level position, working for a year would be a waste of time for me because I'm not indecisive about doing my masters, the only reason would be to make my profile more competitive because my thesis will end in August-september and my internship at the lab still continues so it does not match with the application deadlines

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Most people continue their master's and Ph.D. without having work experience they apply during their last year of bachelor especially in my field bc a master's is necessary to even start an entry-level position, working for a year would be a waste of time for me because I'm not indecisive about doing my masters, the only reason would be to make my profile more competitive because my thesis will end in August-september and my internship at the lab still continues so it does not match with the application deadlines
Most people, yes. But IRCC will see no work experience so no career progression. But what Masters program are you taking in UX?

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
actually marketing and consumer science field is related to psychology but not many people know it, this master's program i want to apply to is very niche because you do research on consumer behaviour and not just the practical aspect of marketing