+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Topic: PR card renewal urgent process

calinux

Nov 17, 2012
Hi all,

I submitted my PR card renewal on Oct. 30 with urgent process documents (flight itenerary & payment proof) and express mail tracking shows CIC received the package on Nov. 02. However, the online status shows couldn't identify my status. I called the call center on Nov. 16, the agent told me my urgent process was not qualified, and my application is being processed as normal. He also asked for my email address to send me the info for TD in case I didn't receive my card before travelling.

My card expires on Jan. 13, 2013, and my travel time is Jan. 01 to Jan. 28. So CIC thinks my card should be ready even by normal processing? Or else? I only travelled outside the country for a total of 57 days, and I attached all passport pages (including certified translator's affidavit) and my last 5 years tax return.

Did anyone have similar experience lately? Pls share. Many thanks!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The CIC quotes processing times of 93 calendar days for PR Card renewals under the regular route. Add say 5 days of mailing time and its a shade over 3 months so under regular processing time no way you will get the card prior to your departure. This assumes no impact on processing due to Christmas and New Year holiday closure for CIC.

Did the agent say why it was not qualified for urgent processing? The only reason I can think of is if the travel and payment proof provided was not to their criteria but by your description it is.

If you are of a visa exempt nationality you should be ok to travel back on the strength of your passport. You will get sent to secondary and can explain your situation to the CBSA officer. They will see your PR renewal application on file on their systems and of course your then expired PR Card.

If you are not visa exempt then if you have a US Visa you can enter Canada via a US/ Canada land border with your COPR or IMM1000 but this will involve changing your travel plans to land travel. If you end up applying for a TD check processing times at the relevant Canadian Diplomatic Post overseas - some of them are lengthy.

calinux

Nov 17, 2012
I guess you are right. My tickets are from Detroint to HK. Guess that's why CIC didn't think it's qualified travel proof? Driving acrossing US-Canadian boarder had been ok before when I renewed my maple card last time. I just showed them a photocopy of my old maple card, the boarder officer checked on her system and let me in. There were even one time I forgot my wallet when I drove a friend to US, and the officer let me in with a scan copy on my iphone.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This one is turning out odd. It seems CIC taking the approach that you haven't shown exits into and out of Canada in your travel details. Are you land crossing to Detroit and the same back into Canada? CIC may also be thinking you can use your Form IMM1000/COPR. Alternatively they may miracle of miracles intend to get your PR card out before you depart. If the previous via US entry method worked for you makes sense to use it again. Good luck and please keep the forum updated.

calinux

Nov 17, 2012
Well, as far as I know, same day trips to US don't count as absense from Canada. I do drive to US a few times a year, does that trigger their suspicion? Normally there is no stamp on your passport when you drive across the boarder, and I don't think CIC will obtain such info within only 10 days.

The fact is that the CBSA is not keep a good track of entry records. My CBSA report missed a few trips and one of them actually has a stamp on my passport. There were even twice that I drove back to Canada right before mid-night and there were no border guard at all.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I meant an exit from Canada and corresponding entrance into Canada for the Jan 2013 trip...as in CIC don't know how you intend to get to Detroit and back into Canada as you have only shown an already outside of Canada itinerary. By default an absence as you describe means you are outside Canada but the CIC may have a rigid process where the first check box for urgent travel processing is 'date of departure from Canada'...in your case its no date provided so it could default to regular processing...get my drift?