+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Too soon to try entering Canada after being denied entry?

89_gard

Dec 14, 2014
Hi guys,

Been reading through some forum posts and this forum seems really helpful.

My girlfriend was denied entry to Canada on Friday. She was offered to withdraw her admission to Canada request and told they wouldn't write a report against her. What I'm taking away from this is her record will still show she was denied entry to Canada, but nothing much beyond that. Is this a correct assertion?

So they arranged her flight back to her last connection before arriving at Canada where she collected her luggage and went to stay in a hostel for a few days. She's already booked her flight back which will be in a few days.

Now, the reason she was denied entry was effectively they weren't convinced she wasn't coming here to overstay and to work. We were incredibly naive with how we went about this. We were aiming for her to be here 6months so naturally she was bringing in a lot of things as in a lot of clothes. We also hadn't booked a return flight because we figured we had lots of time to do that and our plan was to go for a vacation to her home country around that time. She was also carrying work related documents like her diploma and resumes (i feel like this was nail in our coffin) she had also left her job back home so really in the eyes of the border officer she had no strong ties back home.

In hindsight I can't really disagree with the guy :( we had no intentions of her staying longer than was allowed, but from their perspective it wasn't worth the risk.

Her documents such as diplomas/resumes are with me (as well as a lot of her clothing). She's arranged to have her job back home again. Her stay will be shorter ie 6 weeks with a return flight booked. Do you think this will be sufficient to convince them she's just coming for a trip?

If you're wondering how I was able to get her things they released her into my custody while we waited for a return flight.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
I am no expert on this, but common sense would tell me that she has been flagged.. whenever she tries to get back to Canada, CBSA will see this and be very suspicious. So she has to make sure she got a really convincing story with the supporting documents handy. But my gut feel is rather negative..

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if she can show valid employment and housing in the us, has a return ticket and only plans on 6 weeks, her chances will be better. of course no one can tell you 100% for sure what will happen. she is allowed to attempt entry as soon as she can show this to the agents. since she was allowed to withdraw her application to enter, there is no timeframe she needs to wait. this is CBSA's way of telling her "get your stuff together, or the next time you are going to have bigger problems!" she IS now flagged in the system, so she must be ready with this information upon her arrival because most likely she WILL be pulled into secondary.

she needs to understand she does not have the right to "move" or "live" in Canada until she is approved for pr, which requires her to be married or considered commonlaw to you, her intended sponsor. right now, she only has the right to "visit" you in Canada, and needs to always use that term when talking to border agents. As you experienced, she needs to be careful about "looking" like she plans to move to canada, ie: too much stuff, household items not typically brought on vacations, information to help secure employment in Canada, etc. Until she is married to you or is commonlaw with you and is applying for PR, she needs to expect her border crossings to include secondary inspection and ALWAYS be prepared to show her ties back to the us. CBSA does not take too kindly to cross-border dating couples in general, especially when they appear to be making up their own rules.