+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To ship or not to ship, that is the question.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm leaving my home country in a few weeks to study in Toronto. I won't be staying in res or homestay as I am bringing my cats with me as well, and I feel I'm a little old for dorm life. By the looks of it I have my own apartment by sep 1st.

So I have my household content on sale on various facebook groups and "kijiji! style sites where I live and sure, I am getting offers. Today I was offered $45 for my memoryfoam bed topper which cost me almost $300 less than a year ago. For the entire bed (springbox and topper bought new for $1000) I was just now offered $300. I mean seriously? And don't even get me started on everything else I have to get rid of. Not to mention all the electrical small appliances. ARGH!

This has now got me thinking that maybe it's worth shipping my stuff. Storage will easily cost me $4000/year if not more. Selling for peanuts seems to be false economy as shipping might cost me $2500 (and that's on the high end estimate based on the quote I have for what was planned to be shipped). The sofa I'm not bringing. Love the look, hate sitting on it (rock hard). A friend is interested and I am thinking of gifting it to her.

I know that if it doesn't work on 110 it's not going.

What would you do?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's just depend where you are moving from. Say you are moving from a neighboring US state to a Canadian province by car, it's probably a good idea to bring them along.

Malin

Jul 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-2013
IELTS Request
-
Med's Request
19-02-2013
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
I guess you have to find out roughly how much it will cost you to buy new things in Canada vs. shipping over the things you already own. If you paid 1000 for your bed, and want to get a similar one there, maybe it's worth it to just ship it together with some other stuff, instead of selling for 300 and then having to pay 1000 again! I got rid of almost all my things, but that's because everything I owned was second-hand and cheap anyway. If I'd had nice things that I liked, I'd probably have brought them. (also it helps with feeling at home in a new place to have some of your old things there)

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most of it is Ikea stuff apart from a few heirlooms, but as I wasn't planning on this, I was planning on staying here I bought a complete new household, pretty much.

I am starting to get better offers now and I have excellent quote on shipping. I've talked to CBSA as I had a few questions regarding the heirlooms and they didn't flinch when I said I'm coming as a student. I don't think they worry about that too much. I'm bringing cats too.

Thanks for the advice, guys. More input is welcome.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Here's another thing to think about. Coming on a temporary visa with all your worldly goods and cats. How will you prove to the VO that you are not going to overstay? Be prepared.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pippin said:
Here's another thing to think about. Coming on a temporary visa with all your worldly goods and cats. How will you prove to the VO that you are not going to overstay? Be prepared.
I hear you and yes, it is a concern. That's why nothing is being shipped before the visa is activated. The cats do come with me regardless. I talked to CBSA and they have no problem with it. Frankly, storage for three years would be more expensive then shipping back and forth. That's even after having sold the bulky furniture.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the first question you have to answer is to be or not to be only then can you answer the shipping question. Without being no one can ship