Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14 June 2010
Hi there!
I've got a weird situation. I've got married in Toronto and received PR confirmation. My PR card will be issued on July 27 and I'll receive it at the beginning of August. So far I live in condo with my husband who is on the title of the rent contract. He has some financial problems and he is not paying the last two months to landlord. So current contract will be done by the middle of September. Court will be held at the beginning of August. He offers me to open a new account on my name only (maiden name) and rent a new apartment because he cannot show money on his account.
I'll get a job by August. What docs I should show to possible landlord? So far I'm planning to open a new account in bank and put some money.
Imagine that I need to find some condo for 1500$. And my official salary could be about 2500$.
Can I afford it - I mean legally? Or landlord may prefer somebody with credit history in Canada or smth like that?
Thanks a lot in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Landlords prefer someone who has a Canadian credit history and also a Canadian rental history (they will often ask for referrals).

Is the $2500 your gross or net income? There's a general rule that says you really shouldn't be spending more than 30% of your gross income on rent. A landlord may be unwilling to rent to you if he/she feels you're not making sufficient income to afford the rent.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can not count on your husband to pitch in for his half of the rent, then you should get a place you can afford by yourself. It sounds like he has already messed up his credit. For the new apartment, your credit is at stake. If you get a more expensive place thinking he will pitch in and he can't, you will soon be in the same position, i.e. unable to pay rent, getting kicked out and your credit getting messed up as well.