+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To renew or not renew PR card?

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Hi,
My pr card expires in Feb 2021. Originally, I wasn’t going to renew it since I was supposed to have my citizen test in March and figured I’d have a passport before it would expire. However, like everyone else, my test got canceled and have no idea when they will restart. Then I decided to see how long the renewal process would take to see when I would have to actually renew it so I wouldn’t be without a pr card. Well, I checked the website and it said 248 days. So, I’d have to put in the application right now to have a card by March 2021.
Would having a PR renewal application in the system screw up anything with my citizen application if that starts up back again? I’m concerned that the overlap might confuse things with everything going on right now. Anyone ever do this? Should I wait another month to see if things start back up? Thanks for any help or opinions.

Inpasarable

Star Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hi,
My pr card expires in Feb 2021. Originally, I wasn’t going to renew it since I was supposed to have my citizen test in March and figured I’d have a passport before it would expire. However, like everyone else, my test got canceled and have no idea when they will restart. Then I decided to see how long the renewal process would take to see when I would have to actually renew it so I wouldn’t be without a pr card. Well, I checked the website and it said 248 days. So, I’d have to put in the application right now to have a card by March 2021.
Would having a PR renewal application in the system screw up anything with my citizen application if that starts up back again? I’m concerned that the overlap might confuse things with everything going on right now. Anyone ever do this? Should I wait another month to see if things start back up? Thanks for any help or opinions.
My PR also expires in Feb 21 and I've just applied for the Citizenship in January 2020. To this day I have not received even AOR on my Citizenship application, so obviously there's no way I get the process completed by Feb 2021.. I decided to apply for PR renewal and actually mailed my application a few days ago. The processing time is 174 days right now, hence given it doesn't increase, you should get your PR card in Nov / Dec 2020.
For me, having a valid non-expired document is crucial. I can't imagine the situation I need to leave Canada due to a family emergency or something, and having issues to come back. This is a nightmare scenario.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
My PR also expires in Feb 21 and I've just applied for the Citizenship in January 2020. To this day I have not received even AOR on my Citizenship application, so obviously there's no way I get the process completed by Feb 2021.. I decided to apply for PR renewal and actually mailed my application a few days ago. The processing time is 174 days right now, hence given it doesn't increase, you should get your PR card in Nov / Dec 2020.
For me, having a valid non-expired document is crucial. I can't imagine the situation I need to leave Canada due to a family emergency or something, and having issues to come back. This is a nightmare scenario.
Yeah, the whole situation is so frustrating for everyone. Hopefully, they’ll start up the tests soon. I just got my picture done today and am going to send in the card application this weekend.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Expiry of the PR card doesn't have anything to do with your status as a PR! If you don't plan to leave the country until you
get your citizenship, you don't really need to renew the PR card.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Expiry of the PR card doesn't have anything to do with your status as a PR! If you don't plan to leave the country until you
get your citizenship, you don't really need to renew the PR card.
Yes, I know PR status has nothing to do with the card. Unfortunately, I have no idea what my plans are going to be after February. Since the renewal is going to take at least 5 months and I have no idea when the citizen test are going to be starting back up, I need to look in to it now.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
299 for renewing PR card!!! I hope this tells the impact on Citizenship apps.
Yeah, the number is shifting around quite a bit. First time I looked it was 248, then 166, and last time I checked 174. I was hoping to avoid all of this, but, now that the tests are on indefinite hold, I need to look into it in case I have to travel after Feb.

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I’m in the same boat. I think it’s safe to renew ($50) plus I travel a lot to the US for work. (Not currently due to covid but once things clear out you never know) I have some issues:

- I can’t save the stupid form it says I can save a blank copy but not once I save it. I don’t own a printer and it looks like I’ll have to buy one. Has anyone managed to to fill and save this form? I was able to save every other CIC form except for this PR renewal form.

- I have to send it off and there is no way to do it online right?

- I’m planing to go home next year March since my grandfather is really sick and I probably have 1 more chance to see him however I don’t have a ticket but if I buy one it looks like I qualify for urgent processing. Is this a risk?

- is it stupid to call CIC and ask for an update on my citizenship app? Applied in 2019 June but I do understand there’s a pandemic going on
- most PR apps are processed in NS which hardly had any covid cases but someone they are still behind ? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

fadil80

Oct 6, 2011
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
03-04-2012
In case of emergency or you travel to work outside Canada, you need a PR card. Your COPR certificate/landing certificate copy you submit with your citizenship application, as proof of permanent residency requirement. The PR Card copy is not required.
So the PR card is needed to be renewed if you have to travel outside Canada and does not affect your citizenship application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m in the same boat. I think it’s safe to renew ($50) plus I travel a lot to the US for work. (Not currently due to covid but once things clear out you never know) I have some issues:

- I can’t save the stupid form it says I can save a blank copy but not once I save it. I don’t own a printer and it looks like I’ll have to buy one. Has anyone managed to to fill and save this form? I was able to save every other CIC form except for this PR renewal form.

- I have to send it off and there is no way to do it online right?

- I’m planing to go home next year March since my grandfather is really sick and I probably have 1 more chance to see him however I don’t have a ticket but if I buy one it looks like I qualify for urgent processing. Is this a risk?

- is it stupid to call CIC and ask for an update on my citizenship app? Applied in 2019 June but I do understand there’s a pandemic going on
- most PR apps are processed in NS which hardly had any covid cases but someone they are still behind ? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
You are unlikely to qualify for urgent processing. NS still had a lockdown. Less cases but a lot less health resources and an ageing population.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
In case of emergency or you travel to work outside Canada, you need a PR card. Your COPR certificate/landing certificate copy you submit with your citizenship application, as proof of permanent residency requirement. The PR Card copy is not required.
So the PR card is needed to be renewed if you have to travel outside Canada and does not affect your citizenship application.
I mean one can also cross the US/Canada border on foot without a PR card, or obtain a PRTD. Not ideal, nor easy/cheap in many cases but IRCC basically stopped PR card renewals (it was 289 days a couple of weeks ago) it seems.

Sad truth is Canada may claim PR has all the rights except right to vote and the like but if you have any want/need to leave the country (and get back) PRs are not treated equal.

Reactions: K310