+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To renew or not renew PR card?

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
I don't understand why PR card renewal takes so long.

Australian PR can be renewed online almost instantly if you have lived in the country for 2 years+ within 5 years, the system just checks the border records and renew your PR instantly.

Is this too high-tech for Canada to do? oh, we know IRCC lives in previous century. ha, never mind

hotshot45890

Star Member
Jun 29, 2020
I get that we are in a pandemic. But why can't they be creative with their solutions like other governments? They can easily extend the expiry of PR cards for a year for everyone or till the end of 2021 so they have time to get everything under control. They can issue an online letter based on your PR details which can be used in combination with your PR card. More like a PRTD. Issue it to every PR with card expiring in 2020/2021. Exceptional times call for exceptional measures but it is obvious they have no plan in place to deal with all of this. Second class "citizens" indeed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Australian PR can be renewed online almost instantly if you have lived in the country for 2 years+ within 5 years, the system just checks the border records and renew your PR instantly.

Is this too high-tech for Canada to do? oh, we know IRCC lives in previous century. ha, never mind
It usually doesn’t take that long. They stopped processing PR cards during lockdown. Now that processing has restarted it should slowly get faster. Before covid people apply for their first PR card we’re waiting 2-3 weeks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I get that we are in a pandemic. But why can't they be creative with their solutions like other governments? They can easily extend the expiry of PR cards for a year for everyone or till the end of 2021 so they have time to get everything under control. They can issue an online letter based on your PR details which can be used in combination with your PR card. More like a PRTD. Issue it to every PR with card expiring in 2020/2021. Exceptional times call for exceptional measures but it is obvious they have no plan in place to deal with all of this. Second class "citizens" indeed.
Very few people are actually travelling abroad. Those who have an expired PR card and want to travel abroad are an even smaller percentage. Permanent residents aren’t citizens and they need to meet a residency obligation. The extension would online would only be electronic and would not meet the expiry date on the card which is likely to cause confusion. You would also have to retrain so many people so that they know that there was now a combination of PR card and letter. It would take time to come up with a list of those who qualified for an extension and send out the letter. If someone wasn’t meeting their RO would they be given an extension? CIC has actually created a process where people can now obtain their PRTD much easier. I see some getting PRTD in India in a few weeks.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/processing-time-of-prtd-application-submitted-electronically-by-email-vac-closed-india.690791/page-4

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
It usually doesn’t take that long. They stopped processing PR cards during lockdown. Now that processing has restarted it should slowly get faster. Before covid people apply for their first PR card we’re waiting 2-3 weeks.
The first PR is always way faster than a renewal. For some reason the renewals or replacements easily take 2 to 3 times longer. Even before this whole thing it was taking over 150 days for a renewal.

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
May 19, 2011 from buffalo
IELTS Request
submitted writtin sample (accepted)
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
June 10, 2011, again in May 02, 2012 -medical furtherance June29-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
Hello,
I am filing PR card renwal. I suprized that they donot need to send the expired card. Is this correct? Please let me know. Thank you

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
Hello, I am about to submit my PR renewal application. I see that the expired PR card is not required to send it in the package. Is this correct? Please let me know. Thank you

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Hello, I am about to submit my PR renewal application. I see that the expired PR card is not required to send it in the package. Is this correct? Please let me know. Thank you
Not the actual card, but a photocopy of it.

Also, a bit of an update on my PR renewal. I had sent the application in the first week of July and confirmed it was delivered. I just got the email from IRCC today saying they received. So, that’s the time frame I have.

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
What is everyone doing if the new PR card arrives? Will you update your application with the new PR card info? I'd imagine that was required.

bwrani

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
Not the actual card, but a photocopy of it.

Also, a bit of an update on my PR renewal. I had sent the application in the first week of July and confirmed it was delivered. I just got the email from IRCC today saying they received. So, that’s the time frame I have.
Hi,
I submitted for my PR renewal on Jun 25th 2020.I got my card on October 5th 2020.It is taking only 100 days to get PR Renewal.

thenumbiceman

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2015
Doc's Request.
~
AOR Received.
05-09-2015
IELTS Request
~
Med's Request
~
Passport Req..
26-01-2016

I mean one can also cross the US/Canada border on foot without a PR card, or obtain a PRTD. Not ideal, nor easy/cheap in many cases but IRCC basically stopped PR card renewals (it was 289 days a couple of weeks ago) it seems.

Sad truth is Canada may claim PR has all the rights except right to vote and the like but if you have any want/need to leave the country (and get back) PRs are not treated equal.
It is true that PR has all rights except right to vote. It is wrong that when we return on an expired PR we are not treated same. Not treated same by who? Not by Canada. Canadian PR cannot be refused entry. You will have a chance to come in/ appeal / face justice.

The problem lies with airlines / your origin country who cannot determine if you have rights to enter Canada or not. They go by the face value of the card which would be expired.

Mind you, you can always enter from the land border even on an expired PR card. This is possible because the CBSA agent can verify your details. Whereas the airlines / your origin country do not have access to validate your PR card which is expired(because of validity of dates).

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016

The thing with Canada is that CBSA only started to implement exist control by air since this June! So their system does not have the complete information about people's movements into and out of the country.

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hi, my pr card is expiring in May-2021, however I am eligible to apply for citizenship in March-2021. I am planning to apply for citizenship. Should I extend my PR card? Please advise.

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
Hello,
Yesterday , I did mistake in my PR Card renew. I submit the package but forgot the photos. Is the best way just send another package with photos. I have the form in my laptop and all others copies?
What you think please