+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To move to the US or not (in my mid-20's)

rivenade

Aug 4, 2014
Hello there!

I moved to Canada in 2010 with my family as a PR. I just finished my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration and now making $40,000+ in an entry-level business/logistics job in Vancouver.

However, I just received my US Green Card (my parents applied for both Cda and US - the US took much longer). As someone in my mid-20's, I feel like this is such a huge decision to make. My parents are biased towards the US (they want me to move to the US) but I love both Canada and USA, and this seems like one of those classic "which one is better?" discussions. But I want to choose based on my situation. I am single, Business grad (thinking of doing my MBA eventually - no idea where yet), liberal, love to have fun, independent and spontaneous kind of person.

I just started my new export/logistics job and I'm liking it so far - beat out 60 other applicants from different universities in BC. I'm wondering how would someone with my credentials fare in the US, no specific city/state yet but my top choices are: LA, San Fran, San Diego, Vegas, Seattle, NYC. (Always wanted to experience the California/US west coast and New York life).

Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
rivenade said:
Hello there!

I moved to Canada in 2010 with my family as a PR. I just finished my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration and now making $40,000+ in an entry-level business/logistics job in Vancouver.

However, I just received my US Green Card (my parents applied for both Cda and US - the US took much longer). As someone in my mid-20's, I feel like this is such a huge decision to make. My parents are biased towards the US (they want me to move to the US) but I love both Canada and USA, and this seems like one of those classic "which one is better?" discussions. But I want to choose based on my situation. I am single, Business grad (thinking of doing my MBA eventually - no idea where yet), liberal, love to have fun, independent and spontaneous kind of person.

I just started my new export/logistics job and I'm liking it so far - beat out 60 other applicants from different universities in BC. I'm wondering how would someone with my credentials fare in the US, no specific city/state yet but my top choices are: LA, San Fran, San Diego, Vegas, Seattle, NYC. (Always wanted to experience the California/US west coast and New York life).

Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated.
Well, you almost answered your own question.. if you do not do it, you will never know. You are young, just do it! When I was your age, I did the same and never looked back. It is better to regret what you have done, than regretting what you have not!

JessNess

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2014
AOR Received.
May 24, 2014
File Transfer...
May 29, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
January 28, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 31, 2014 COPR Received
LANDED..........
August 3, 2014
Don't move to the USA. I just moved to Alberta from beautiful sunny California and I can tell you with no doubts that the economic level of success you can achieve in Canada is limitless. I have a bachelors of science from one of the best schools in the United States and most of my friends are still unemployed or under-employed and looking for work. The job market is ruthless and extremely cut-throat in the USA because we send ALL of our youth to college instead of into trades, etc. The massive saturation of college degrees makes finding a decent job next to impossible (except for states like Texas). I would tell anyone to think twice before pursuing the "American Dream" which does not exist anymore.

I can also tell you that California has the SECOND HIGHEST state income tax in the entire USA. You'll be giving most of your money to Uncle Sam, with a new mandated health care law which is MANDATORY that you buy health insurance, which at your age and health level can range from $180-$300/month (based on location, salary, gender). Making 45k a year living in Los Angeles (which I did) was almost not enough to survive the high tax rate and new health care mandate. The cost of living is just insanity. Yes it's beautiful, yes it's fun, yes everyone is nice, but do you really want to struggle with money and trying to climb up the corporate ladder your whole life? Wasn't worth it to me. Some states like Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, have some of the lowest tax rates and better paying jobs but theyre not as "sexy" as NYC or LA.

About the college degree you have, I'm sure you're very competent but you have to remember, Canada has 1/3 of the population as the USA and even less college grads than the USA competing for jobs. When you tell people you have a bachelors degree in California they say "big deal, where's your masters degree?" It's nothing special, you'll join a flood of everyone who's just as qualified as you.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm just giving you a realistic view from someone who's lived in California (LA and Orange County) their entire life. It's not as glamorous when you struggle to pay your bills….but the palm trees are nice ;)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Ha! Even having an MBA is no big deal. Everyone now graduates w a masters degree and it certainly does not guarantee you will find work in your chosen field. As for the tax rate, Ontario certainly is more than any state (13% tax on everything!) Alberta has the lowest tax rate so unless u r living there, you are certainly going to pay higher taxes in Canada. In the end, you probably end up paying just as much or more in taxes in Canada than it costs for health coverage in the us. Currently I pay $170/mo. I will assume I will have far more than that taken out of my paycheck living in Ottawa.

JessNess

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2014
AOR Received.
May 24, 2014
File Transfer...
May 29, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
January 28, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 3, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
Ha! Even having an MBA is no big deal. Everyone now graduates w a masters degree and it certainly does not guarantee you will find work in your chosen field. As for the tax rate, Ontario certainly is more than any state (13% tax on everything!) Alberta has the lowest tax rate so unless u r living there, you are certainly going to pay higher taxes in Canada. In the end, you probably end up paying just as much or more in taxes in Canada than it costs for health coverage in the us. Currently I pay $170/mo. I will assume I will have far more than that taken out of my paycheck living in Ottawa.
Totally agree, it all depends on the province :)
I was telling the OP though that beating 60 people for an entry level job with a Bachelors in Business Administration is actually pretty good. In California (his/her prospective state), it would be more like having to beat thousands of resumes. California has a GIANT university system. I cannot find the stats on it at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if California had more bachelors degrees than in all of Canada combined. I support taking a few years off to travel and work in other countries, but for making real money and achieving full career potential, Canada or any state EXCEPT CA/NY, is the way to go :)

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-22/college-grads-jobless/54473426/1

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
JessNess said:
Don't move to the USA. I just moved to Alberta from beautiful sunny California and I can tell you with no doubts that the economic level of success you can achieve in Canada is limitless.
No. We had this discussion before. Try applying to any other province outside Alberta.

JessNess

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2014
AOR Received.
May 24, 2014
File Transfer...
May 29, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
January 28, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 3, 2014
mrbeachman said:
No. We had this discussion before. Try applying to any other province outside Alberta.
I was giving the OP advice on living and working in California given the fact that 3/6 cities he/she listed are under consideration. I do everything to fight this "glamorous" California stigma because I've seen so many people show up to my former home and get slammed with cold reality.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
JessNess said:
Don't move to the USA. I just moved to Alberta from beautiful sunny California and I can tell you with no doubts that the economic level of success you can achieve in Canada is limitless. I have a bachelors of science from one of the best schools in the United States and most of my friends are still unemployed or under-employed and looking for work. The job market is ruthless and extremely cut-throat in the USA because we send ALL of our youth to college instead of into trades, etc. The massive saturation of college degrees makes finding a decent job next to impossible (except for states like Texas). I would tell anyone to think twice before pursuing the "American Dream" which does not exist anymore.

I can also tell you that California has the SECOND HIGHEST state income tax in the entire USA. You'll be giving most of your money to Uncle Sam, with a new mandated health care law which is MANDATORY that you buy health insurance, which at your age and health level can range from $180-$300/month (based on location, salary, gender). Making 45k a year living in Los Angeles (which I did) was almost not enough to survive the high tax rate and new health care mandate. The cost of living is just insanity. Yes it's beautiful, yes it's fun, yes everyone is nice, but do you really want to struggle with money and trying to climb up the corporate ladder your whole life? Wasn't worth it to me. Some states like Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, have some of the lowest tax rates and better paying jobs but theyre not as "sexy" as NYC or LA.

About the college degree you have, I'm sure you're very competent but you have to remember, Canada has 1/3 of the population as the USA and even less college grads than the USA competing for jobs. When you tell people you have a bachelors degree in California they say "big deal, where's your masters degree?" It's nothing special, you'll join a flood of everyone who's just as qualified as you.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm just giving you a realistic view from someone who's lived in California (LA and Orange County) their entire life. It's not as glamorous when you struggle to pay your bills....but the palm trees are nice ;)
Awesome post.

Like you I came from California (my wife left it up to me who was moving where, and I decided to get the hell out of dodge), and found a much better home in Alberta -- thankfully was able to convince my wife to move from Ontario.

And if you're new to this subforum, get used to the "Canada sux, USA = awsum" posts by a select few trolls.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Bargeld said:
And if you're new to this subforum, get used to the "Canada sux, USA = awsum" posts by a select few trolls.
seriously, i will never understand why people fight so hard to stay or get their spouse to a country they hate so much! if you don't like it, then leave. stop b**ching and blaming everyone else for your issues and lack of movitivation to have a good life.

if only they knew what it was really like to have a government that acts like 5 year olds having a temper tantrum AND gets paid loads of money to do absolutely NOTHiNG while big businesses take over every aspect of living a decent life... if only they knew...

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
rhcohen2014 said:
seriously, i will never understand why people fight so hard to stay or get their spouse to a country they hate so much! if you don't like it, then leave. stop b**ching and blaming everyone else for your issues and lack of movitivation to have a good life.

if only they knew what it was really like to have a government that acts like 5 year olds having a temper tantrum AND gets paid loads of money to do absolutely NOTHiNG while big businesses take over every aspect of living a decent life... if only they knew...
Canada does have it's problems, legitimate ones, such as with jobs, with property crimes, and regional issues that merit talking about when "settling" in Canada.

The idiots who do nothing but troll about the climate (Canada is cold? no way!), troll about "Canada being an immigration gateway to the US" (most people immigrated to Canada to be in Canada, and if they didn't intend on being here, it likely shouldn't openly be discussed on this forum anymore than recommending people commit immigrant fraud), things that even they know cannot be construed as useful information or criticisms.. ultimately detracts from a logical discussion that could be going on.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Bargeld said:
Canada does have it's problems, legitimate ones, such as with jobs, with property crimes, and regional issues that merit talking about when "settling" in Canada.
of course! no country is perfect. if there was a perfect place to live out there, we'd all be flocking to that location, or every government would be modeling society to attempt to get the same results. life is imperfect. people are imperfect. and YES, even GOVERNMENT is imperfect!

Bargeld said:
The idiots who do nothing but troll about the climate (Canada is cold? no way!),
wait, canada is cold? i thought the more north you are, the warmer it gets. thanks for the warning, now i gotta go get me some winter gear before i move up there! :p

biagio_r

Aug 16, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
wait, canada is cold? i thought the more north you are, the warmer it gets. thanks for the warning, now i gotta go get me some winter gear before i move up there! :p
I LOL'd at that. :p :p

JessNess

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2014
AOR Received.
May 24, 2014
File Transfer...
May 29, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
January 28, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 3, 2014
Canadian government services seem to be more efficient than the USA. For instance, in Calgary, the Passport Office, Social Insurance Office (to get a SIN number), and healthcare office are in the SAME BUILDING. I was done with getting a new SIN and Alberta health insurance in less than half an hour.
I then went next door to the licensing agency and got a new driver's license in 15 minutes. Of course in the USA, all of these offices are separated.

I had to renew my license at the CA DMV last October, and it took them THREE HOURS to retake my photo just for renewal. I even went out of town to one of the "slow" ones. I notice MUCH LESS government bureaucracy so far in Canada and much higher efficiency. If I went to get a new license in the USA, SIN number, and healthcare coverage sign-up, it would take weeks, literally.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
You're thinking about it wrong -- the idea that it is better to make it in one country than the other is just a trick. What you want to do is make it in a certain field. You've already started that in Canada; don't you think it would be weird to quit and start over again? It's no different from saying "I've always wondered if I could make it in Newfoundland, so even though I have a job I like in BC, I'd like to quit and move to St. Johns". If you move, it should be because you want to be American -- the nature of the green card gives you no choice but to accept or reject that.

Also, the idea that Canadian taxes are higher is a bit of a myth -- it's more complicated than that. Look for a good analysis instead of just assuming there is a significant difference. I'm no expert, but here is a link that discusses some of the subject:

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0411/do-canadians-really-pay-more-taxes-than-americans.aspx

What JessNess says about the efficiency of government services up in Canada is totally true. Public policy here is valued for its rationality, not its ideology.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
JessNess said:
Canadian government services seem to be more efficient than the USA. For instance, in Calgary, the Passport Office, Social Insurance Office (to get a SIN number), and healthcare office are in the SAME BUILDING. I was done with getting a new SIN and Alberta health insurance in less than half an hour.
I then went next door to the licensing agency and got a new driver's license in 15 minutes. Of course in the USA, all of these offices are separated.

I had to renew my license at the CA DMV last October, and it took them THREE HOURS to retake my photo just for renewal. I even went out of town to one of the "slow" ones. I notice MUCH LESS government bureaucracy so far in Canada and much higher efficiency. If I went to get a new license in the USA, SIN number, and healthcare coverage sign-up, it would take weeks, literally.
My experience was a bit different in Ontario.

DriveTest was ridiculously packed, they had crummy attitudes, and couldn't get their computer to work for sh**.

They could see I had been driving for a good 16 years, but were jerks and demanded I get a driving record (of origin) from California.

I started the process, but thankfully I followed up with the CA DMV and talked to a lady who knew what I was requesting.. and the type of record I was going to get was going to be different than what DriveTest required.

It mirrored all my other DriveTest experience, and flies in the face of the much more pleasant experience (i.e. no crappy attitude, and far more helpful in explaining things) I've had at the ministry offices here in Alberta, not to mention significantly shorter wait lines.

Also flies in the face of the DMV.. I'm sure the most common DMV complaint is the lines. That's why they're so eager for you either not to come in, or eager to send you home with homework to do before having to face the lines again.

on-hold said:
You're thinking about it wrong -- the idea that it is better to make it in one country than the other is just a trick. What you want to do is make it in a certain field. You've already started that in Canada; don't you think it would be weird to quit and start over again? It's no different from saying "I've always wondered if I could make it in Newfoundland, so even though I have a job I like in BC, I'd like to quit and move to St. Johns". If you move, it should be because you want to be American -- the nature of the green card gives you no choice but to accept or reject that.

Also, the idea that Canadian taxes are higher is a bit of a myth -- it's more complicated than that. Look for a good analysis instead of just assuming there is a significant difference. I'm no expert, but here is a link that discusses some of the subject:

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0411/do-canadians-really-pay-more-taxes-than-americans.aspx

What JessNess says about the efficiency of government services up in Canada is totally true. Public policy here is valued for its rationality, not its ideology.
Are you a citizen yet?