+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To move to the US or not (in my mid-20's)

novsaggi

Star Member
Jan 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
20-12-2011 to Los Angels Office
Ontario has a drive record requirement,for exchange of G license, it would have saved your time if you would have checked the website before joining the line. Im sure you would have done the same thing if you would have moved to CA from Ontario and they would have requested it.

As for the OP, there is no one answer. You have your full life in front of you. Just mind the healthcare costs when you will be in US as you will be paying a premium of healthcare out of ur pocket too. Other than that, good luck on move :)

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
novsaggi said:
Ontario has a drive record requirement,for exchange of G license, it would have saved your time if you would have checked the website before joining the line. Im sure you would have done the same thing if you would have moved to CA from Ontario and they would have requested it.

As for the OP, there is no one answer. You have your full life in front of you. Just mind the healthcare costs when you will be in US as you will be paying a premium of healthcare out of ur pocket too. Other than that, good luck on move :)
Unfortunately you're clueless in your retort, I sought clarification from DriveTest myself before going down there, and they said because I had a CA/DL, the license information would already be in their system and to just come down. They had issues with their system at the time I physically went down which was the only reason they didn't do the exchange, and because they couldn't put a time limit on the problem to be solved, they simply suggested I get the record of origin.

Also, it doesn't help when most people don't understand what a record of origin is, since it's under the guise of an abstract, and abstract tends to mean a simple driving record, which the record of origin is not. Not even the CA DMV people I talked to until I called back after sending it in knew the difference. I happened to get lucky and find one lady who knew what it was I wanted -- I had plainly stated on a piece of paper I had sent in it was to fulfill a request from DriveTest in Ontario for an "abstract of origin for their license exchange program".

Thankfully some of us already had a clue, unlike some who came up with crummy presumptions. :)

JessNess

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2014
AOR Received.
May 24, 2014
File Transfer...
May 29, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
January 28, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 31, 2014 COPR Received
LANDED..........
August 3, 2014
Bargeld said:
Unfortunately you're clueless in your retort, I sought clarification from DriveTest myself before going down there, and they said because I had a CA/DL, the license information would already be in their system and to just come down. They had issues with their system at the time I physically went down which was the only reason they didn't do the exchange, and because they couldn't put a time limit on the problem to be solved, they simply suggested I get the record of origin.

Also, it doesn't help when most people don't understand what a record of origin is, since it's under the guise of an abstract, and abstract tends to mean a simple driving record, which the record of origin is not. Not even the CA DMV people I talked to until I called back after sending it in knew the difference. I happened to get lucky and find one lady who knew what it was I wanted -- I had plainly stated on a piece of paper I had sent in it was to fulfill a request from DriveTest in Ontario for an "abstract of origin for their license exchange program".

Thankfully some of us already had a clue, unlike some who came up with crummy presumptions. :)
Oh wow, what an ordeal! I was going to have to get a driver record for Alberta also, but I was resolute on never dealing with the CA DMV again. I turned in my current license and my expired old license (showing that I had been driving since 2008) and they thankfully accepted that.

novsaggi

Star Member
Jan 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
20-12-2011 to Los Angels Office
Bargeld said:

Thank you for pointing that out.I can go on n on about what you wrote before n now, but alas I dont have time for it.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
JessNess said:
Oh wow, what an ordeal! I was going to have to get a driver record for Alberta also, but I was resolute on never dealing with the CA DMV again. I turned in my current license and my expired old license (showing that I had been driving since 2008) and they thankfully accepted that.
What's funny is my license already showed, by itself, that I had far more than 2 years experience driving. Yet after their system took a dump, they still had me go home to order it anyways.

So sufficed to say, for anyone who goes through this, just CYA (cover your ass) in the event of their incompetence. I wouldn't be surprised if Alberta's state DL process was far smoother for people. I only exchanged the G for Class 5, which was smooth.. also wouldn't be surprised if exchanging a Class 5 for a G is a nightmare as well.