+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To flagpole or not to: PGWP

yuyu

Aug 25, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am in a big dilemma in regards to whether I should apply online for PGWP or flagpole for it at Niagara Falls.
I have a job offer where both parties have signed and we have agreed to start in mid june.

I graduated with a masters degree (1 to 2 years in length) in Ontario and a bachelors degree(~ 3 years) in another province. As such, technically speaking, I am entitled to 3 year PGWP.

My concerns are that : if I do flagpole at the border, CBSA officers may not be aware I am entitled to 3 year pgwp and give me a PGWP equal to the length of my masters degree. In addition, I am not sure if administrative refusal at the US border would cause repercussions in future. These were issues i thought of and which the immigration consultant i spoke to also brought it up.

However, many of my friends have advised me to flagpole since it is way faster. and the CIC processing times can take quite long. While legally, I am entitled to work in Canada once I have applied for PGWP, employers may not like taking that risk until u have it (although technically we have both signed the job and up till now they have not raised questions about my status in Canada).

I am very afraid of applying online as it may take too long... it may take 2 to 3 months... but i have had a friend who got it in two weeks. I am not sure if what school and education level affects the speed of processing...

Please help! if u have any related experiences

Thanks

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am in a big dilemma in regards to whether I should apply online for PGWP or flagpole for it at Niagara Falls.
I have a job offer where both parties have signed and we have agreed to start in mid june.

I graduated with a masters degree (1 to 2 years in length) in Ontario and a bachelors degree(~ 3 years) in another province. As such, technically speaking, I am entitled to 3 year PGWP.

My concerns are that : if I do flagpole at the border, CBSA officers may not be aware I am entitled to 3 year pgwp and give me a PGWP equal to the length of my masters degree. In addition, I am not sure if administrative refusal at the US border would cause repercussions in future. These were issues i thought of and which the immigration consultant i spoke to also brought it up.

However, many of my friends have advised me to flagpole since it is way faster. and the CIC processing times can take quite long. While legally, I am entitled to work in Canada once I have applied for PGWP, employers may not like taking that risk until u have it (although technically we have both signed the job and up till now they have not raised questions about my status in Canada).

I am very afraid of applying online as it may take too long... it may take 2 to 3 months... but i have had a friend who got it in two weeks. I am not sure if what school and education level affects the speed of processing...

Please help! if u have any related experiences

Thanks
Hello,

I would suggest you to apply for the PGWP online for the following reasons:

- Although the online process takes approximately 2 months, you can start working full-time as soon as you apply for the PGWP. Your prospective employer may be aware of this rule.

- The processing time for PGWP usually depends on the number of students graduating in that period. FYI, this is just an observation. I graduated in August 2017 and it took just under two months for me to receive my PGWP. The approximate wait time shows up on the CIC website when you apply for the PGWP.

- Canada has recently made some changes in regards to flag poling which may make it even riskier. Please review this link : https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/05/06/canada-clamps-down-on-flagpoling-with-immigration-restrictions-at-some-border-crossings.html

Trust this helps! Cheers!

yuyu

Aug 25, 2012
Hello,

I would suggest you to apply for the PGWP online for the following reasons:

- Although the online process takes approximately 2 months, you can start working full-time as soon as you apply for the PGWP. Your prospective employer may be aware of this rule.

- The processing time for PGWP usually depends on the number of students graduating in that period. FYI, this is just an observation. I graduated in August 2017 and it took just under two months for me to receive my PGWP. The approximate wait time shows up on the CIC website when you apply for the PGWP.

- Canada has recently made some changes in regards to flag poling which may make it even riskier. Please review this link : https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/05/06/canada-clamps-down-on-flagpoling-with-immigration-restrictions-at-some-border-crossings.html

Trust this helps! Cheers!
Thank you very much. I am very aware now they are clamping down on it. But I am also afraid my employers will rescind my job offer if they found out about it. its a job offer i dont want to lose...

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thank you very much. I am very aware now they are clamping down on it. But I am also afraid my employers will rescind my job offer if they found out about it. its a job offer i dont want to lose...
I had a friend who was in a similar situation as yours. The friend has received an offer from on the the top banks who requested for a copy of the work permit before they could get her on-board. My friend explained them the situation and they kept her 'on-hold' for almost two months before the work permit was issued. The employers are usually quite understanding and would not take harsh actions. Try talking to them, I am sure you will find a middle-ground. :)

jashan2211

Jul 19, 2016
I flag-polled and 3 of my friends also did. We all got our PGWP.
First time I went they rejected and asked to apply online. I went back next morning and got it.
I would recommend going alone.

Apr 21, 2015
KPK, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2015
File Transfer...
14-04-2015
Med's Request
17-June-2015
Med's Done....
1-July-2015
VISA ISSUED...
7-August-2015
LANDED..........
28-August-2015
First time I went they rejected and asked to apply online. I went back next morning and got it.
Hi. I just graduated from Kwantlen university in Vancouver. The problem with me is that I took two semesters off in the middle of my degree. However, my last three semester were more than full time (15 credits and 12,12 credits). I got my transcripts and letter of confirmation from my school.
Would you recommend flag-poling or applying online?
Really appreciate your reply.
Muhammad.

Reactions: parth200292

jashan2211

Jul 19, 2016
Hi. I just graduated from Kwantlen university in Vancouver. The problem with me is that I took two semesters off in the middle of my degree. However, my last three semester were more than full time (15 credits and 12,12 credits). I got my transcripts and letter of confirmation from my school.
Muhammad.

You can do either. Won't be a problem. If you can wait apply online. Flag-polling is quicker.

relyn412

Sep 25, 2019
Hi, I have a question regarding to flagpole. If the flagpole got rejected, can I still do the online application? Is there any rejection record could affect the online application?

relyn412

Sep 25, 2019
Muhammad.
Hi I'm experiencing exactly the same thing as you. My concern is if flagpole get rejected, can we still do online application?

parth200292

Nov 3, 2020
Muhammad.
The same thing happen to mee . took 2 term off in between and then started full time studies continue 3 terms and going to complete the studies. Will I get PGWP ?
Did you get PGWP @MUHAMMAD IRFAN ALI KHAN, please let me know ..its urgent ..Thanks in advance

olive gamer

May 23, 2022
Hi Everyone,

So I am thinking of flag polling. However, I have also applied online for the PGWP. So my question is that will the officers at the border have my information about my online application? Or do I need to pay the application fees of $255 again? Let me know.

wing11

Apr 6, 2020
Hi Everyone,

So I am thinking of flag polling. However, I have also applied online for the PGWP. So my question is that will the officers at the border have my information about my online application? Or do I need to pay the application fees of $255 again? Let me know.
hi, how is going? did you flagpole finally?