ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
victor.shareen said:
hey,

can anybody tell m how long is the validity of the PR visa....i mean how much time do u get before u make ur first entry ?
Thanks,
Shareen
One year from date of medicals so 8-11 months after Visa is issued. It is written on the Visa

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
victor.shareen said:
oh ok...i have just sent my passport to ND VO....so just wanted to have an idea...Thanks John :)

Shareen
Have you done your medicals?

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CAPR said:
Any specific reason in avoiding TC / Drafts ??
There is an option to open a bank account in Canada from India in Nova scotia bank. It also gives u option to apply for Credit Card (which will be hard to get once u land because of no Credit history). I think this is a good option

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CAPR said:
Friends,

Could you please let me know the best way to carry 10K CAD from here ....

good to open a bank account or TCs or cash ???

If cash / TCs any good exchange offices that you are aware of .....

Please share your thoughts on this....
You can open a C$ Bank account with Scotia Bank. They have branches in most Metros:

http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID19_LIDen,00.html

They will open the account & you can transfer your Rupees into C$ at the current exchange rate. The account becomes operational once you reach Canada & visit their branch. They also give a 1000$ credit card with the account (which can be quite handy).

It's one of the good Banks in Canada, so no worries....

destinationBC

Champion Member
Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
thats history
Doc's Request.
thats history
AOR Received.
thats history
File Transfer...
thats history
Med's Request
thats history
Med's Done....
thats history
Passport Req..
thats history
VISA ISSUED...
got it
LANDED..........
Long Long ago
I have had an account with TD Bank Its cheaper than other banks

If your roots keep calling then there is always STATE BANK OF INDIA (CANADA) Major cities

yukon said:
You can open a C$ Bank account with Scotia Bank. They have branches in most Metros:

http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID19_LIDen,00.html

They will open the account & you can transfer your Rupees into C$ at the current exchange rate. The account becomes operational once you reach Canada & visit their branch. They also give a 1000$ credit card with the account (which can be quite handy).

It's one of the good Banks in Canada, so no worries....

ankipanki

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
@johncool : Welcome :)

@Yukon : I have heard that the banks charge a higher rate than prevalent in the market so if we deposit directly in scotia bank then we might get less money in account due to higher exchange rate... do u know of any way out of this situation that we are able to open the account as well as not suffer losses...

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ankipanki said:
@ johncool : Welcome :)

@ Yukon : I have heard that the banks charge a higher rate than prevalent in the market so if we deposit directly in scotia bank then we might get less money in account due to higher exchange rate... do u know of any way out of this situation that we are able to open the account as well as not suffer losses...
Their is no other option to take the money legally out of India. Their are lots of agents who give a good bargain without Invoices, but then that is illegal. It is ok if you want to convert 1000-1500 Dollars worth without bill, but to take 15000 to 20000 Dollars in cash will be very risky. For all other instruments like DD, TC etc. you have to go through bank only.
Banks do not give good exchange rates, but then it a one time conversion loss to bear !!

CAPR

Sep 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They have a branch in Hyderabad. I will go personally and visit them tomorrow...

Will update you guys if anything good on this..

ankit_20 said:
There is an option to open a bank account in Canada from India in Nova scotia bank. It also gives u option to apply for Credit Card (which will be hard to get once u land because of no Credit history). I think this is a good option

johncool

Star Member
Feb 1, 2011
india
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi just checked on scotia bank site.
they offer 2 or 3 types of accounts for indian.
but they charge a 4$ fee per month for account maintaining per month with limited transactions.
check out on
http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID12958_LIDen,00.html

vermajagdish

Feb 2, 2011
Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Nov-2009
File Transfer...
17-Feb-2010
Med's Request
14-Dec-2010
Med's Done....
29-Dec-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-Jan-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-Feb-2011
LANDED..........
03-05-2011
hi all,

what are you ppl doing for 90 day insurance?

vermajagdish

Feb 2, 2011
Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Nov-2009
File Transfer...
17-Feb-2010
Med's Request
14-Dec-2010
Med's Done....
29-Dec-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-Jan-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-Feb-2011
LANDED..........
03-05-2011
have you ppl got any place to stay. I have found following accommodation, please let me know what is your view on the cost of this place. This is a guest house offered by WWICS. Can we find a cheaper accommodation than this.

WWICS guest house in Mississauga:
We can provide one Single Accommodation for you for 30 days from 03 May, 2011 to 01 June, 2011 in one of our shared guest house apartments. Please immediately forward booking agreement papers, soft copy attached herewith. Take three prints of the papers, sign at all the places marked for client and send to us through Delhi-RG branch along with the booking amount bank draft for CAD $ 825.00 (Rent for 30 days $ 550 + Refundable Security $ 275)

If you like to have hotel accommodation following document may help

http://rapidshare.com/files/451418610/HOTEL_ACCOMMODATION_AT_TORONTO_1_.doc

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, What about health insurance, has any body figured out a good insurer

Also if you guys can share accommodation plan

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Just a heads up - the CDN $ is higher right now than it has been for quite some time, trading at almost $1.03 to each US $1.00. It would be hard to imagine it will stay that high or go higher, but I am not an economist. It may be worth waiting to convert your Rs until it drops, if you have that option. Some banks offer FREE chequing, etc. as long as you keep a minimum balance of $1500.00 in the account (Bank of Montreal is one).