+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To bring or not to bring family on student visa - PR process, funds required?

angel100

Apr 8, 2016
Hi,

I am planning to come to canada for studies next year. I have a family (husband + 2yr old son).
I am aware of the option of bringing in your family when you study, but i am missing some specifics?

1) How much of funds should i show for bringing my husband and son, in addition to my tution fees and living expenses? Is it the same as the funds required to show for a PR application? (ie, as in this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp)

2) How difficult is it to find a daycare where i can drop my son off while i go for university and my husband leaves for work? will bringing in my son have a negative impact on my student visa getting granted? Anybody who has experience in this scenario? Please share your experience.

3 a) If i plan to come alone, finish my studies and then apply for PGWP and then PR, what is the process to apply for my dependants back home?

3 b) What will be the funds that i need to demonstrate in this case? Will it be the same as the PR funds mentioned in this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp?

3 c) Can my husband also show some portion of this funds from his accounts back home? or should i have all the funds with me?

4) Which option is easier in terms of getting a PR?
a) Moving and study with family?
or b) Study alone and the sponsor PR for the family?

5) What are the possiblities that PR process is not provided for people who have studied and working in canada in the next 2-3 years? Any other restrictions that might arise for masters student in PGWP?

Any help on the above is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

formalboygirl

Star Member
Jun 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-04-2011
it is better to apply for PR rather than a student visa which has so many limitations.

FMJeb

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
angel100 said:
Hi,

I am planning to come to canada for studies next year. I have a family (husband + 2yr old son).
I am aware of the option of bringing in your family when you study, but i am missing some specifics?

1) How much of funds should i show for bringing my husband and son, in addition to my tution fees and living expenses? Is it the same as the funds required to show for a PR application? (ie, as in this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp)

2) How difficult is it to find a daycare where i can drop my son off while i go for university and my husband leaves for work? will bringing in my son have a negative impact on my student visa getting granted? Anybody who has experience in this scenario? Please share your experience.

3 a) If i plan to come alone, finish my studies and then apply for PGWP and then PR, what is the process to apply for my dependants back home?

3 b) What will be the funds that i need to demonstrate in this case? Will it be the same as the PR funds mentioned in this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp?

3 c) Can my husband also show some portion of this funds from his accounts back home? or should i have all the funds with me?

4) Which option is easier in terms of getting a PR?
a) Moving and study with family?
or b) Study alone and the sponsor PR for the family?

5) What are the possiblities that PR process is not provided for people who have studied and working in canada in the next 2-3 years? Any other restrictions that might arise for masters student in PGWP?

Any help on the above is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
I'll try my best to answer the questions I know the answer to.

1) For yourself you need to show tuition + $10,000 living expenses. For an additional member you need $4,000 for a period of 1 year, and for your child you'll need an additional $3,000. (Link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp#doc3 )

2) I am not sure about this but it depends on the area you're planning to live in. I know some universities have daycares but this again depends on the university/college you're going to. I read some cases on this forum where visas get rejected when the applicant applies for their family to accompany them. Of course this is a case by case situation and it doesn't mean yours will be rejected. It usually gets rejected because of family ties and it is seen as a way for you stay in Canada and not leave after school.

3) I'm not sure about this, but I guess if you apply for PR and you actually receive PR, all your dependents become permanent residents as well (spouse + children under 18)

4) Not sure about this. There's no easy way it all depends on the applicant. You do get extra points under Express entry if you study in Canada though.

5) Again no one can predict this. Could get easier for qualified students, could get worse. If you graduate and find an employer willing to sponsor you and pay for your LMIA, then your PR application is almost guaranteed.

What are you planning to study? And what province? These are all important factors to take into consideration before applying. There are a certain fields which are in a great demand in Canada so make sure what you're studying fits that if your ultimate goal is PR.