+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for a successful BOWP application

skoul12

Feb 25, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am currently working in Ontario under a PGWP and have received an AOR on my CEC PR application. Since my work permit is due to expire in may, I would like to apply for a BOWP online.

After filling out the questionnaire, I now have the option of applying for an Open Work Permit and a TRV, but I don't see the option for a BOWP?

Following, are the questions I was uncertain about whilst filling out the online application:

- Have you been told by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada? No
- Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada? Yes
- Do you have a written job offer? No

Please let me know if I have done so in error, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
skoul12 said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently working in Ontario under a PGWP and have received an AOR on my CEC PR application. Since my work permit is due to expire in may, I would like to apply for a BOWP online.

After filling out the questionnaire, I now have the option of applying for an Open Work Permit and a TRV, but I don't see the option for a BOWP?

Following, are the questions I was uncertain about whilst filling out the online application:

- Have you been told by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada? No This should be a yes, your AOR is the approval in principle.
- Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada? Yes
- Do you have a written job offer? No

Please let me know if I have done so in error, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
There is no 'Bridging Open Work Permit' option, you need to select 'Open Work Permit'.

SGC

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
I am currently waiting for PR. (CIC have had it since Mar 2014) I applied through BCPNP (nov 2013) and am on a closed work permit which expires in OCT 2015.

Does anyone know if I would be able to apply for the BOWP? I know you're not meant to apply until 4 months before your permit expires but I usually work a second job and not being able to for the last year and a half has been really hard financially.

Any help, info or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :D

prentiss18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2015
guys questions please!
i got a friend here in canada..she is married but her spouse is in the Philippines. but she include him from pnp to cic application. she just submitted her application in cic last week. and now she needs to renew her work permit coz it will expire on the end of june.

1. can she include her husband in work permit application?
2. if yes..what can we attach in Proof of travel?

#our employer is willing to provide job offer to her spouse as well.
thanks so much guys. hope to hear from u.

sooperdice

Star Member
Jul 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2014
AOR Received.
03-06-2014
Med's Request
04-06-2015
Med's Done....
09-06-2015
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
28-07-2015
So i'm still waiting on my PR application, my current WP expires in 3 months, so i think i will apply for a second BOWP.

To anyone in the same situation who has applied for a second BOWP, did you follow the same procedure for your first BOWP and just changed the dates around in your Cover letter etc?

philr85

May 3, 2015
Hey Guys,

I'm so sorry if this question has been answered already. I have a nomination from BCPNP and I need to apply for a BOWP and I'd like to do it online as it will be quicker. For the life of me I cannot navigate my way to the online forms, I keep coming back to the "determine your eligibility" online questionnaire which just keeps telling me I'm eligible for Express Entry, which I already know.

Can anyone tell me which answers I have to put into that questionnaire to get to a BOWP application, or give me any advice to help?

All help is much appreciated!

Many Thanks

prentiss18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2015
for the question how long do u want to stay in canada. put temporary more than 6months.then it will lead u to BOWP.

omph

Jan 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2014
Nomination.....
27-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
included
Med's Request
06-11-2014
Med's Done....
ECAS shows recvd 24-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
RPRF:28-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
in God's time
rohangk said:
Yes you need to send photos (not sure how many photos though) with paper application.

i applied for BOWP+SOWP online. It cost me (255 *2) +100 = $410 . They didnt ask for $100 twice.
hi, may i ask if you already received the approval of SOWP online? thanks

rohangk

Dec 4, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Ottawa (CPC-O)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th Aug, 2014
AOR Received.
11th Dec, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP submitted with appln
Med's Request
2nd Feb 2016, 8th Mar 2016 (Additional tests)
Med's Done....
Checkup on 18th Jan 2016 (Upfront), Report submitted on 29th Jan 2016. Additional Medical test report submitted on 26th Feb 2016. 2nd Additional reports submitted on 2nd April.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
7th July 2016 (RPRF requested and paid on 3rd March 2016)
VISA ISSUED...
14th July 2016
LANDED..........
20th Sept 2016
omph said:
hi, may i ask if you already received the approval of SOWP online? thanks
I received a request for $100 payment receipt of wp holder fee for my spouse's application on 1st may ( I had applied on march 3).
I paid it online and uploaded the receipt to my spouses' online application same day.

Update: My BOWP was approved today. I see the updated status-'Closed' and decision - 'Approved' in my cic account. Waiting for instructions that will be emailed to me soon.
Hoping for the SOWP approval comes soon. probably got delayed because of the wp holder fee.

philr85

May 3, 2015
Hi Guys,

I need to apply for a BOWP and I have several questions which I was hoping for some advice on.

I currently have a nomination from BCPNP and I am waiting for my documents to be sent to me. They are going to arrive one day before my current work permit expires (22nd May) and I need the BCPNP Letter of Support to send in with my application. Does anyone have any ideas on what my options may be? A few people have suggested waiting until 2 days before my permit expires, then send my application by mail, by the time the centre gets my application hopefully, I have an ITA and an application in progress. What do people think?

On the determine your eligibility questions I answered "yes" to the question "I applied for permanent residence to an office in-Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval)."
I applied for PR in December and got rejected (along with thousands of others), I have an Express Entry profile number, a lot of points, and a provincial nomination, does that therefore mean I am eligible for PR? Or should this question be answered "no?"

For the question "have you been told by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?" I answered yes, again I have a Provincial Nomination and an Express Entry profile which surely shows I am eligible for PR?

If anyone can offer advice, then that would be great, I want to ensure I don't get into any trouble or anything!

omph

Jan 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2014
Nomination.....
27-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
included
Med's Request
06-11-2014
Med's Done....
ECAS shows recvd 24-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
RPRF:28-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
in God's time
rohangk said:
I received a request for $100 payment receipt of wp holder fee for my spouse's application on 1st may ( I had applied on march 3).
I paid it online and uploaded the receipt to my spouses' online application same day.

Update: My BOWP was approved today. I see the updated status-'Closed' and decision - 'Approved' in my cic account. Waiting for instructions that will be emailed to me soon.
Hoping for the SOWP approval comes soon. probably got delayed because of the wp holder fee.
congrats on your BOWP. please update if you have received SOWP, as Im also waiting mine for a month now since my husband received his BOWP approval. we applied jan.29

rohangk

Dec 4, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Ottawa (CPC-O)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th Aug, 2014
AOR Received.
11th Dec, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP submitted with appln
Med's Request
2nd Feb 2016, 8th Mar 2016 (Additional tests)
Med's Done....
Checkup on 18th Jan 2016 (Upfront), Report submitted on 29th Jan 2016. Additional Medical test report submitted on 26th Feb 2016. 2nd Additional reports submitted on 2nd April.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
7th July 2016 (RPRF requested and paid on 3rd March 2016)
VISA ISSUED...
14th July 2016
LANDED..........
20th Sept 2016
omph said:
congrats on your BOWP. please update if you have received SOWP, as Im also waiting mine for a month now since my husband received his BOWP approval. we applied jan.29
So you and your spouse applied at the same time?

deepdeep

May 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE 1 2014
Doc's Request.
MARCH 2015 with PCC
Nomination.....
APRIL 2014
AOR Received.
29 JULY 2014
Med's Request
29 JULY 2014
Med's Done....
31 JULY 2014
Passport Req..
11 APRIL 2015
VISA ISSUED...
20 APRIL 2015
LANDED..........
27 APRIL 2015
Hi Guys
I tried to read most of the comments but still got a question.
My friend applied for CEC in July 2014 and only received AOR so far. Her PGWP is expiring in MID JUNE. She is working for a different employer after she applied CEC.

Now to extend/apply for new work permit does she need LMIA or not? Very confused about LMIA.

Please help guys?

Thank you so much

Amisnic

Champion Member
Mar 28, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
NOC 2133
App. Filed.......
30-04-2014
AOR Received.
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
02-06-2015
For BOWP - No, no LMIA required

deepdeep said:
Hi Guys
I tried to read most of the comments but still got have a question.
My friend applied for CEC in July 2014 and only received AOR so far. Her PGWP is expiring in MID JUNE. She is working for a different employer after she applied CEC.

Now to extend/apply for new work permit does she need LMIA or not? Very confused about LMIA.

Please help guys?

Thank you so much

deepdeep

May 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE 1 2014
Doc's Request.
MARCH 2015 with PCC
Nomination.....
APRIL 2014
AOR Received.
29 JULY 2014
Med's Request
29 JULY 2014
Med's Done....
31 JULY 2014
Passport Req..
11 APRIL 2015
VISA ISSUED...
20 APRIL 2015
LANDED..........
27 APRIL 2015
Amisnic said:
For BOWP - No, no LMIA required
Thank you so much. We are very confused with all the process. So we just simply apply for open work permit with AOR.
Thank you :)