+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for 2016 (Future) PGP Applicants

Indiapnp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Hi Rossei,

You seem to be rocking this link. Congrats to you and thank you for your help.

Hi All, Rossei,

I am sponsoring my parents targeting 2016. Therefore, I have started to fill/familiarize myself with the 2015 PGP forms.

Questions:

1. In the check list form I note that - A marriage certificate is required. However, my parents do not have one.

- Is there a document that I can seek from from somewhere e.g. Local Consulate, affidavit etc..? That will be accepted by the CIC?

Additional Challenge:
My parents are currently visiting Canada (until Jan 2016) which makes seeking any certificate from their home Country a little challenging but if that is the only way I would like to know.

2. I went through the application forms and package of 2015 - it seems that my parents do need any other document but their passport and marriage certificate (that I am trying to find an alternative to).

Is the above understanding true? Please confirm or correct.

Since, my parents are here I am trying to figure out if they need any additional document from back home? I know 2016 package may change but I am doing what I can hoping for best.

3. Their are questions such as DOB, DOD (deceased (wherever applicable), education institution - dates address etc.., in the Background and/or Additional Family background forms.

- Do I need to attach documents supporting those dates and information within the package?

I really appreciate your help.

Please feel free to inquire if I can provide more information to receive a more clear or more certain response from you.

Thank you,

Cheers.

lili2013

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
Hi guys, We are living in Quebec. In the CIC site it's written we should provide 12 months income not three years. Just want to make sure it's correct... Is there anyone else applying from Quebec for parents sponsorship?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
lili2013 said:
Hi guys, We are living in Quebec. In the CIC site it's written we should provide 12 months income not three years. Just want to make sure it's correct... Is there anyone else applying from Quebec for parents sponsorship?
You're correct I believe.

http://www.canadavisa.com/necessary-income-levels-for-family-sponsorship.html

Quebec

Sponsors living in the province of Quebec must meet different MNI figures. Sponsors are presumed capable of fulfilling an undertaking if, over the past 12 months, they have had gross income from Canadian sources equal to the total of the income appearing in Table 1 and Table 2 below.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Indiapnp, I too am in the same boat as you. My parents don't have a marriage certificate. I was browsing the forums to find an answer and found the following thread about submitting a sworn affidavit instead of marriage certificate. Not sure if the information is reliable. But I too would like confirmation and answers to the rest of your questions.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/marriage-certificate-of-parents-for-sponsorship-t180014.0.html

Indiapnp said:
Hi Rossei,

Hi All, Rossei,

I am sponsoring my parents targeting 2016. Therefore, I have started to fill/familiarize myself with the 2015 PGP forms.

Questions:

1. In the check list form I note that - A marriage certificate is required. However, my parents do not have one.

- Is there a document that I can seek from from somewhere e.g. Local Consulate, affidavit etc..? That will be accepted by the CIC?

Additional Challenge:
My parents are currently visiting Canada (until Jan 2016) which makes seeking any certificate from their home Country a little challenging but if that is the only way I would like to know.

2. I went through the application forms and package of 2015 - it seems that my parents do need any other document but their passport and marriage certificate (that I am trying to find an alternative to).

Since, my parents are here I am trying to figure out if they need any additional document from back home? I know 2016 package may change but I am doing what I can hoping for best.

3. Their are questions such as DOB, DOD (deceased (wherever applicable), education institution - dates address etc.., in the Background and/or Additional Family background forms.

- Do I need to attach documents supporting those dates and information within the package?

I really appreciate your help.

Please feel free to inquire if I can provide more information to receive a more clear or more certain response from you.

Thank you,

Cheers.

Indiapnp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Hi Razerblade,

Nice to find someone in the same boat. Lets keep in touch. We can PM message each other.

I am applying from Ontario where are you applying from?

I hope someone will reply to my questions to give more clarity and reliability.

Thank you for sharing the link. I spoke to a consultant and was told that an affidavit may do but not a 100% sure.

Cheers.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Sure thing. I'm in Ontario as well.

Indiapnp said:
Hi Razerblade,

Nice to find someone in the same boat. Lets keep in touch. We can PM message each other.

I am applying from Ontario where are you applying from?

I hope someone will reply to my questions to give more clarity and reliability.

Thank you for sharing the link. I spoke to a consultant and was told that an affidavit may do but not a 100% sure.

Cheers.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
vitlen said:
Hi, a question on IMM 5669 (Background declaration) and IMM 5406 (Additional family info):

I'm a PR holder, the only child of my mom, and going to sponsor her.
So should I also fill those forms since it says "dependand children over 18 whether accompanying you or not"?
Or it only needs to be filled by my mother?

Thanks a lot for your replies!
I was also a PR and only child of my mom when I applied. Both those forms need to be filled by your mother. More specifically, you can fill out on behalf of her, but she has to sign them.

vitlen

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Rossei said:
I was also a PR and only child of my mom when I applied. Both those forms need to be filled by your mother. More specifically, you can fill out on behalf of her, but she has to sign them.
Rossei thank you very much! Very appreciate your reply!

xxrjulia

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi Rossei,

can you help me on this?
i have a question regarding how to do the math of total persons in the application if we need to apply for both parents in 2016 and we would like to mail the two applications at the same time.

is my understanding of the "previous undertaking" and math correct below?

in IMM5768,
1), in our 1st application, for my parents, i believe we can treat it as "there is no previous undertaking";
so total number of person counts as,
You = 1
current = 2
part 3, B), Previous, all = 0
part 4, all = 0 (because still no previous for co-signer)
part 5, spouse himself who co-signs =1
thus total =4

2), then in the 2nd case, for his parents
you = 1
Current undertaking = 2
part 3, B), iv) you co-singed...not yet PR... =2
part 4, all = 0 as part 3 has counted
part 5, spouse herself who co-signs =1
thus total = 6

does this look okay? can we mail the applications like this and not worry about the sequence when cic receives it?
thanks in advance!
Julia

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
xxrjulia said:
hi Rossei,

can you help me on this?
i have a question regarding how to do the math of total persons in the application if we need to apply for both parents in 2016 and we would like to mail the two applications at the same time.

is my understanding of the "previous undertaking" and math correct below?

in IMM5768,
1), in our 1st application, for my parents, i believe we can treat it as "there is no previous undertaking";
so total number of person counts as,
You = 1
current = 2
part 3, B), Previous, all = 0
part 4, all = 0 (because still no previous for co-signer)
part 5, spouse himself who co-signs =1
thus total =4

2), then in the 2nd case, for his parents
you = 1
Current undertaking = 2
part 3, B), iv) you co-singed...not yet PR... =2
part 4, all = 0 as part 3 has counted
part 5, spouse herself who co-signs =1
thus total = 6

does this look okay? can we mail the applications like this and not worry about the sequence when cic receives it?
thanks in advance!
Julia
I seriously cannot help you on this. But to my understanding, 'undertaking' doesn't come into effect until your parents come to Canada as PR (Refer to the Guide 5772, Page: 3-4). So, you don't have to count 2 in the bold section I highlighted above. But since you, as a family, are trying to sponsor 4 persons in total, the family size of 6 should come somewhere in the math.

For your convenience, I've listed the forum members who applied for both their parents and in-laws in 2015 in 2 separate application packages and both of them got accepted. They are in order of most recent activity in the forum. You can PM them re: this.

Ccie18614
QQQ
vividind
shampy2009
AnastasiaU
jjlvkk
NGhabsem

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi Rossei,

Could you please take a look at these questions from Indiapnp ? Answers will be very helpful. Thank you!

Questions:

Additional Challenge:

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Indiapnp said:
Hi Rossei,

I completely missed your post. It's razerblade who brought my attention to this.

Additional Challenge:
I've seen this question many times in this forum and since I never had to face this myself, I cannot give you an authentic answer. But seeing various posts here and then adding my common sense to it, I think that an affidavit from Indian authority (even Notary Public) may suffice the requirement. You (or a lawyer) can attach a letter (if not thoroughly explained in the affidavit) explaining why your parents did not obtain a marriage cert. Obviously, their passports and your birth cert. will act as an additional source of proof of your parents' relationship. Here is an external link that may be helpful for you: http://goo.gl/eMQ3kz

2. I went through the application forms and package of 2015 - it seems that my parents do not need any other document but their passport and marriage certificate (that I am trying to find an alternative to).

This is correct. They only require to submit Passports & Marriage Cert. If there is any accompanying dependent children, then they would require to submit corresponding Birth Cert. of the child.

No, you don't have to attach any supporting document at time of sponsorship application. However, you may need them (normally not required) when it goes to LVO for PR processing.

Indiapnp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Rossei said:
I've seen this question many times in this forum and since I never had to face this myself, I cannot give you an authentic answer. But seeing various posts here and then adding my common sense to it, I think that an affidavit from Indian authority (even Notary Public) may suffice the requirement. You (or a lawyer) can attach a letter (if not thoroughly explained in the affidavit) explaining why your parents did not obtain a marriage cert. Obviously, their passports and your birth cert. will act as an additional source of proof of your parents' relationship. Here is an external link that may be helpful for you: http://goo.gl/eMQ3kz
Thank you Rossei and razerbalde to pick up on those questions.

I have follow up questions on the topic:

1. I know you suggested an affidavit from Indian Authority (it would be only Notary Public as per my understanding unless there is a better option?). However, I was wondering whether an affidavit from Canadian Notary Public better is preferable over an affidavit from Indian Notary Public (does even make sense for a Canadian Notary Public to write an affidavit for an Indian couple)?

2. Its interesting that you mentioned an Affidavit from Indian Authority/Notary and not from my parents? Which one would be preferable or adding from both would be an good idea?
I assume a letter from Notary/Authority is - Notary/Authority giving the conformation and from my parents is - My parents giving the conformation which would be different?. What would be preferred or affidavit from both would strengthen the case?

3. I observe that you sound reasonably confident but are not 100% certain on whether an affidavit would suffice. Given the time sensitivity and a lack of an opportunity to reapply I am wondering is there is any way to get full certainty on this topic? I completely trust your judgement and will be going with it but trying to do what I can :).

4. Final query:
you advise to explain why they do not have a marriage certificate. I am not aware of a solid reason behind that other than that is how it was in those days (kinda raw and rude to say). I am not sure how to communicate this; any suggestions?

Yes, my birth certificate (which has to be translated and certified) has my parent's name in addition to passports and school certificates etc. So, that could be some help.

Thank you share your experience with us.

Cheers

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Indiapnp said:
Thank you Rossei and razerbalde to pick up on those questions.

I have follow up questions on the topic:

1. I know you suggested an affidavit from Indian Authority (it would be only Notary Public as per my understanding unless there is a better option?). However, I was wondering whether an affidavit from Canadian Notary Public better is preferable over an affidavit from Indian Notary Public (does even make sense for a Canadian Notary Public to write an affidavit for an Indian couple)?

2. Its interesting that you mentioned an Affidavit from Indian Authority/Notary and not from my parents? Which one would be preferable or adding from both would be an good idea?
I assume a letter from Notary/Authority is - Notary/Authority giving the conformation and from my parents is - My parents giving the conformation which would be different?. What would be preferred or affidavit from both would strengthen the case?

3. I observe that you sound reasonably confident but are not 100% certain on whether an affidavit would suffice. Given the time sensitivity and a lack of an opportunity to reapply I am wondering is there is any way to get full certainty on this topic? I completely trust your judgement and will be going with it but trying to do what I can :).

4. Final query:
you advise to explain why they do not have a marriage certificate. I am not aware of a solid reason behind that other than that is how it was in those days (kinda raw and rude to say). I am not sure how to communicate this; any suggestions?

Yes, my birth certificate (which has to be translated and certified) has my parent's name in addition to passports and school certificates etc. So, that could be some help.

Thank you share your experience with us.

Cheers
In case your parents are in Canada and time is anyway not on your side. I will suggest best is to take your parents to oath commissioner/notary locally in Canada and make them sign in form meant for common-in -law partner
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5409E.pdf

Your father ( I assume as main applicant ) can make a somewhat below statement in section 4 of the IMM5409E form

I falana singh/son of Mr Dada singh , holder of passport number(12345) want to state that I am married to bibi kaur , holder of the passport number( 987654). The marriage take place on 1/1/19180 at Ludhiana,Punjab,India.

Attach as a proof their both passports. if spouse name is written on passports of each other, that will be great. Oath commissioner will authenticate it by signing and seeing each of their passports.,

janeyandstuart

Star Member
Oct 30, 2012
Hi,
I just posted this as a new topic but after finding this posting I was hoping you might have the answer for me.
I was under the impression that you needed 3x NOAs to sponsor your parents for permanent residency.
I phoned CIC a few days ago and they told me "income was income" and that foreign income earned over this period counted towards proof of income.
Did CIC get it wrong? The guy seemed adamant. I questioned him twice about it.
Clarification greatly appreciated.
Thanks.