+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

tiny question from senior's n respected members

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all just a small question as my pr is in process n my husband's visa for canada got rejected. I was thinking to spend some time with my family in thailand. Is it,anyways possible. I mean if I apply for,td (travel document) do I have any chances? To be very honest I m not that clear about procedure or limitations involved in td, so if anyone of you know the procedure please let me know. Advice from all of you will be really appreciated. Thanks all.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I were in your shoes, I would get a US visa so that I can take a flight from Thailand to US and then drive back to Canada. I probably would not risk to get a td.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farid- said:
Hi all just a small question as my pr is in process n my husband's visa for canada got rejected. I was thinking to spend some time with my family in thailand. Is it,anyways possible. I mean if I apply for,td (travel document) do I have any chances? To be very honest I m not that clear about procedure or limitations involved in td, so if anyone of you know the procedure please let me know. Advice from all of you will be really appreciated. Thanks all.
How many days of physical presence did you declare at PR Card renewal? Do you have conclusive proof of this? US Visa will require you to show strong ties to Canada...do you have a solid job, mortgage, travel history?

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yup. I do have regular full time permanent job, mortgage,bills, insurance etc but no travel history ofcourse. since aug. 2010. I m in canada never moved out anywhere till todate. Can u shed some light,what's the risk in td. I can check option for us visa anyways. Right now I m just working on different options to see what are my options? Thanks for great suggestions.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Td risk of being refused:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/travel-document-refused-for-not-fulfilling-730-daysonly-appeal-option-offered-t127313.0.html

But in your case, if you have conclusive proof to prove that you meet the RO, you can try to get the TD.

No travel history is no big deal. My wife who has no travel history, got her US visa.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great thanks steaky,that's encouraging. Just one last question as I,m also thinking,about taking us route that you have suggested. As I don't have pr card, I mean I have expired one so will I be eligible,for getting us visa without that and above all will I be allowed,to enter as if they scan pr and us,border they will have everything on file. Isn't it. So any suggestion from any member will be more than welcome.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Everything about crossing to the land border with US and back to Canada with a US visa but without valid PR card is in this post:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/minor-who-lost-pr-status-because-of-parents-decisions-t129995.0.html;msg1985675#msg1985675

Wish you luck in applying US visa!

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I checked the requirements for travel document inside canada. It says it can be issued to convention refugees etc. plus canadian pr who are not citizen yet n are status less which means I am not eligible for that as per my understandings. It was 8 pages n quite confusing on service canada website. So I have decided to call cic let see what they say,about it. N so far us visa seems like better option.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sorry for error in my first post it's not status less it's stateless. Sorry for any inconvinence

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farid- said:
I checked the requirements for travel document inside canada. It says it can be issued to convention refugees etc. plus canadian pr who are not citizen yet n are status less which means I am not eligible for that as per my understandings. It was 8 pages n quite confusing on service canada website. So I have decided to call cic let see what they say,about it. N so far us visa seems like better option.
1. The TD above refers to a passport type booklet that is issued by Passport Canada to third country nationals in Canada who are deemed to require protection (refugee travel document) or are PRs that are stateless/unable to get a national passport (certificate of identity). On the basis that these documents allow re-entry to Canada its obviously a loophole if one has residency issues but this is negated by the fact that the validity is determined by the issuing office.

2. If you travel to Thailand you will have to a apply for TD which is effectively a single entry Canadian visa label/vignette affixed to your passport.

3. You need a visa for both Thailand and the US. These applications require proof of status in Canada...it will be interesting to see if anyone on the forum has had success getting a visa (especially US) with an expired PR Card...how will the consulate know you really are a PR?

4. Even if you did get a Thai visa the TD application may hit a snag if they have to check with CIC on any flags on your file. You may end up being stuck outside Canada.

I think until you get GCMS/FOSS records for you and CAIPS for your spouse/son you will find it difficult to know what's going on e.g. I think with your spouse being in the army he will have a lengthy background/security check. There was a recent Federal Court appeal where someone applied for their PR Card and an internal review was carried out based on residency concerns...CIC stated this was taking 15 months...your verification situation may be similar.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hummn I am applying for gcms notes soon. About the,td and us visa. Msafiri I also came up to same conclusion that nothing can be done except to wait till renewal. After being online almost six hrs.That's what I thought because td it self is a complicated process needs lots of details n stuff and after reading,the details I don't think I am eligible anyways. Us visa as a second option has same complications on expired pr plus worst part is,for us if you got rejected once you can't apply,for one yr. At least. Thai visa I know is not even hard to get from pak. That's why I was thinking about it.
But thanks all for great advice and your time n helping me to make up my mind. N geting me back to reality that nothing is possible till my pr is renewed n by the time it,will be renewed I will anyways be eligible to apply for citizenship. Anyways thanks to all once,again.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can't remember if your husband had applied for a US visa or not? He may get a visa with the ties he has back home and you could meet in the US. Out of curiosity I have several co-workers from Pakistan resident in Canada and many of their female relatives are married to people in the army back home...must be the uniform I guess :).

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lol..can say uniform. Above all if u know pakistani culture a bit mostly joint family system after marriage use to be common practice back then still now mostly. In army ofcourse the family life and atmoshphere is way better then civilians. I guess that's why parents I guess prefer army officer n mostly we have arrange marriages that's why. I also had arrange marriage n above all most my family members are in forces. As my father was in airforce, my grandfather my uncle as well. N now my brother is in army as well. Right now I m so frustrated with the whole situation,let's see. Problem with us visa is for me as my pr is expired. Sometimes I just feel like runaway from this whole never ending situation.