+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Timing of refund

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
Received our US passports back with our visa stamps (we are provincial nominees for PEI) and with a form note stating the 50% refund will be issued--we don't need to contact Buffalo. No time given on how soon-- it's only been a couple of weeks but I wonder if anyone has heard how long they are taking to send the cheque.

FinPro

Star Member
Sep 18, 2006
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
FYI
How to get a refund
On May 2, 2006, the Government of Canada announced a reduction of 50 percent for the $975 Right of Permanent Residence Fee. Immigrants who paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, but who are not permanent residents of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, are entitled to a refund.

This fact sheet provides information on the new fee and instructions on how to obtain a refund.

THE NEW RIGHT OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE FEE

Effective 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, the Right of Permanent Residence Fee will be reduced to $490. Applicants who paid the $975 fee but who have not become permanent residents of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, are eligible for a refund.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND?

You are eligible for a refund if:

You paid the $975 Right of Permanent Residence Fee; and
You have not become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006.
AMOUNT OF THE REFUND

The amount of the refund is $485 (Canadian dollars). The refund applies to every person who paid the fee. Due to fluctuations in exchange rates, there may be differences in refund amounts for refunds issued in local currencies outside of Canada.

HOW TO OBTAIN A REFUND

If you (or your sponsor) paid the fee in Canada

If you or your sponsor paid the $975 fee in Canada, and you did not become a permanent resident before 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, CIC will issue a refund to you. You do not have to request it. You will receive it by mail.

If you applied under the family class, the permit holder class or the live-in caregiver class, or if you applied for permanent residence in Canada on humanitarian or compassionate grounds, you or your sponsor are eligible for a refund if you have not become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006.

If you have moved since you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, you can use our On-line services to notify us of your new address. If you do not have a permanent address, or if you have trouble using our on-line service, please contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If you paid the fee in another country

If you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee in another country before 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, and you have not yet received a visa, you can request a refund from the CIC mission where you paid the fee. If you do not request a refund, you will receive one when your visa is issued.

If you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee in another country, and you have received your visa but you have not yet become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, you can request a refund after you become a permanent resident of Canada.

If you have not received a refund before you become a permanent resident, you will be given information on how to request one when you arrive in Canada.

Please go through the more information available at the following URL

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resid-fee/index.html

HTH

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
Thanks finpro- we have that info already. The note from Buffalo said the cheque would be sent and we didn't need to contact them. Our question is when that cheque is actually being sent.

dacoru

Feb 24, 2006
I am in the same situation. But I already landed in Canada since august,and submit my refund request since september. I haven't received anything yet. Anybody nows how can we check for the status of this refund, or where we can call to do that?
Thanks for your comments
dacoru

Ahmed123

Sep 12, 2006
hello... I wanna know something about PEI ..please mail me at december.26.1983@gmail.com .... I wanna also come to PEI canada...

bye

Ahmed123

Sep 12, 2006
Hello,

I applied for study permit on October 21st,2006 with my all documents to the Canadian High Commission. On November 2nd,2006, I received my medical instruction package along with the medical form. Next day on November 3rd, 2006, I went to the embassy’s doctor for my oppointment and I had been taken 8th November oppointment for my physical check-up. Mean while on November 4th ,2006, I did my chest X-Ray and blood test.

Although my medical exam was in under process, I received my refusal letter on 7th,November 2006. At that time I cancelled my Doctors's oppointment.

I guess this is the first time ever who is refused on this stage ...

Medical Form stamp date is 1st Noverber 2006 and Refusal Letter date is 4th November 2006..

Refusal Reason is " I will not come back to my home country after completing my education" .

However, I heard that medical call means ur application will be accepted soon ...

Anyways now I want to apply on immigration but before I go for my immigration process I have to rub out my doubts, anxiety, freaky questions which r travelling in my mind because I have confused right now... I really need a right direction and some good and useful advices... thats y I am here. I have lots of hope from u people .... :)

now I want keep my questions in front of u brainy, bright, smart, gifted, intellectual, quick, able, clever, sharp, scholarly, knowledgeable,Intelligent people... :)

Question no 1 .. Can my student visa refusal give a bad impression to the visa officer ???? because I have rejected on student visa and visa officer will check my past file ...

Question no 2 ... I am doing bachelors right now .. during bachelors I did one year job on my high school root ... and I want to show that experiance to the visa officer ...

Question no 3 .... I want to apply on Provisional Nominee program and I want to know that does visa officer count educational background on provisional nominee , despite of if I get the nominee from the province.. ( can my visa refusal again on immigration ) ???

Question no 4 ... I have completed my 1 year of my bachelor degree, if I want to calculate my education factor points criteria then how much points can I get from there ??? 5 points or 15 points ( my degree isn't completed yet)

Question no 5..... If I get 15 points ( because I have been competed 1 year out of my 2 years of bachelor degree ... I can not get the experiance point because that job was on my High school root)

Question no 6 ... what is the percentage of immigration who gets to be refused and what r the reasons of refusal ???

I will ask u more questions later ..right now I give u these questions .... :)

Waiting for ur reply

Thank you for your reading,

seeya :)