+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Timing of Online Oath Ceremony

ugterrier

Mar 14, 2014
Hi everyone,

I just took the online citizenship test this past week, so now I'm waiting for the oath ceremony. My question is, how do the online ceremonies work exactly, for those of you who have already taken them? Are they on random days of the week? How long do they last? Can we still have friends and family "present" via Zoom?

I'm especially concerned about the timing, because I'm out of paid time off due to Covid issues and already have to take a few days unpaid for something related to my profession that cannot be postponed. To top it off, I'm a teacher and my union may be going on strike soon, so that will also be unpaid if it happens. Therefore, I can't afford to take a day off for my ceremony. Even if I have to postpone it to summer, I'd be ok with that. Is that a possibility? Can I somehow request a Saturday? Any insight that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MIKEZMH2019

Aug 17, 2019
Mine is scheduled for Saturday Feb 20th and have seen few others here for Saturday as well. Yours could be Saturday as well therefore just wait till you get the invitation for the oath.

Reactions: ugterrier

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Hi everyone,

I just took the online citizenship test this past week, so now I'm waiting for the oath ceremony. My question is, how do the online ceremonies work exactly, for those of you who have already taken them? Are they on random days of the week? How long do they last? Can we still have friends and family "present" via Zoom?

I'm especially concerned about the timing, because I'm out of paid time off due to Covid issues and already have to take a few days unpaid for something related to my profession that cannot be postponed. To top it off, I'm a teacher and my union may be going on strike soon, so that will also be unpaid if it happens. Therefore, I can't afford to take a day off for my ceremony. Even if I have to postpone it to summer, I'd be ok with that. Is that a possibility? Can I somehow request a Saturday? Any insight that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I had a Friday morning. The whole thing takes about an hour from start to finish. So, you won’t need to take a day off. I don’t think you can request a day. They just send you the oath invite with a date and time. No idea if you can request a day if you reschedule.

There’s no option for friends and family to join via Zoom and you can’t record your session. At least that’s what I was told when I took the oath 2 weeks ago.

O'canada

Oct 21, 2020
I had a Friday morning. The whole thing takes about an hour from start to finish. So, you won’t need to take a day off. I don’t think you can request a day. They just send you the oath invite with a date and time. No idea if you can request a day if you reschedule.

There’s no option for friends and family to join via Zoom and you can’t record your session. At least that’s what I was told when I took the oath 2 weeks ago.
Did you received your citizenship certificate?
May I know when you are expecting?

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Did you received your citizenship certificate?
May I know when you are expecting?
I got it super quick after the oath ceremony, in 6 days. So, oath on a Friday and got the certificate the following Thursday. The official I talked to during the ceremony told me I should expect to get the certificate in 1-2 weeks depending on fast the post could get it to me. I was pleasantly surprised I got it so quickly.
Once I got it, I completely the passport application and mailed the application, certificate (you have to mail the original), and other paper work in. My passport was delivered to the office on Feb. 10. I’m now waiting to see when they charge my credit card.

O'canada

Oct 21, 2020
I got it super quick after the oath ceremony, in 6 days. So, oath on a Friday and got the certificate the following Thursday. The official I talked to during the ceremony told me I should expect to get the certificate in 1-2 weeks depending on fast the post could get it to me. I was pleasantly surprised I got it so quickly.
Once I got it, I completely the passport application and mailed the application, certificate (you have to mail the original), and other paper work in. My passport was delivered to the office on Feb. 10. I’m now waiting to see when they charge my credit card.
Hey @AshesNdust Glad to hear about your processing time.
Its really superfast and your local office is working in Top Gear in Processing applications

Wishing you good luck on your rest of the process ( Passport)

Reactions: AshesNdust

Schuffi

Jan 22, 2021
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
i had Tuesday morning at 0745 and it lastsed about 45 minutes. A friend had similar but a wednesday

ugterrier

Mar 14, 2014

Thank you for the info. Even if it's only an hour, I'll still have to take time off work on a weekday, unless I get lucky and it falls on a morning where I start later or during our March break, which is in a week. My app status has changed to "decision made", so I guess it will be soon!

Reactions: AshesNdust

Carlaf

Jan 9, 2021
Mine is scheduled for Saturday Feb 20th and have seen few others here for Saturday as well. Yours could be Saturday as well therefore just wait till you get the invitation for the oath.
When did u take the test and when u got the official approval from the test and the invitation for the Oath? Thank u

MIKEZMH2019

Aug 17, 2019
When did u take the test and when u got the official approval from the test and the invitation for the Oath? Thank u
The following is my time line and now I am waiting for the citizenship certificate .

Type: Single
Physical Days Present: 1528
Application Sent: Aug 15, 2019
Application Received: Aug 16, 2019
AOR Received: Nov 04, 2019
In Process: Nov 26, 2019
Test Invite: Dec 30, 2020
Test Passed: Jan 07, 2021
Decision Made: Jan 26, 2021
Oath Invite: Feb 12, 2021
Oath : Feb 20th, 2021

blingyrie

May 10, 2017

Do we have to fill out the top right of the oath form ahead of the ceremony?

vinayreddy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2019
Congratulations to all who completed Oath.

I have my oath scheduled for June 23rd , wondering what documents i need to show for Oath?