+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

timeframe for background checks

Jul 4, 2009
Hi All,

I am hoping someone will have some insight on this matter. I've sponsored my spouse who is living abroad in his country of citizenship. Everything is going according to the timeline on the CIC website. However I am now getting worried that there could be delays at this stage ( our application is " in process" at the local visa office) because he lived in a different country for about 8 years prior to returning home. He also overstayed his visa in that country but returned on his own in other words wasn't deported. He has received the police clearance from that country as well.

I am wondering are there additional background checks involved ?? and if so how long might they take? anyone been in a similar situation?? or know about this ??

Any help would be much appreciated !
THANKS

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

The background checks are done seperately in addition to any police clearances. If an applicant has stayed more than one country for a period above six months, the processing time may be extended, which no one can predict. There is no specific time line for such checks. Embassy also will not tell how long it would take. Hope it will be finished early. Good luck!!.

Jul 4, 2009
but do you know roughly how long it would take if it was only 1 country and if there is already a record of no information for the person does it make a difference?

thanks

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
if applicant stayed 3 months in one country and then in a few years four months in the same country again. does it require a police certificate from that country?
thank you

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
OPTIMISTIC2009 , no one knows how long the background check take time, it isn't limited to a certain time frame, like other told you, there is many factor involved there: the person itself, the coutry of birth, the coutry where he was, the kind of work he was doing there...a lot
robertbola , in that case I don't think he require a police clearance, didn't you get the passport request yet, as I have read...