+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time to say goodbye

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Jes said:
No you are not a racist. In the bast case you are an ignorant libertarian, in the worst case you are an idiot who believes that a society like the Canadian can function without taxes and that these taxes don't increase.

The second bolded makes me believe you are the latter: it does not affect you (and now me) yet. Show me one conservative government in the world at any time in history who was fiscally responsible without almost destroying the society it was in and leaving, after a brief relief, more damage than it wanted to fix (Thatcher says hi).

And if you define the deference between Cons and any other party here in Canada as just a tax issue, you are beyond help. But hey, we are in a democratic society: Stances like yours make me more happy that although I got me citizenship exactly on the election day June the 12th, I could persuade at least 12 people to not vote cons. I btw voted liberal, and would have done that too if the candidate name was Mr. Much More Taxheimer.
I'm surprised your lecture was so short. You can make your speeches as long as you want. I wish I had some higher, loftier goal in life than hanging on to my money but I really don't. Sorry buddy. I hate to be this blunt but at the end of the day, paying as little of my money to the government is my ultimate concern. You can call it all the names you want. It won't change a thing: that IS my goal. To each his own.

If it makes you feel important, you can go ahead and get as philosophical as you'd like about the relationship between taxes and social order. It doesn't move me in the least bit. I'm way past the social bull*censored word* and I don't owe the world a single dime. Everything I own I've earned on my own (no assistance of any form from the government).

Anti-immigration policy does not affect me now and I don't see how it can affect me in the future, seeing as how I'm in the system permanently.

If you're saying you're in favor of tax increases, hey that's your opinion and you certainly have a right to it. Like I have the right to be against them. But I'm guessing you're not interested in delving into much beyond acknowledging that we have a disagreement. Because if you did, you'd probably show your ignorance of how inefficiently the Government of Canada spends taxpayer money compared to other western governments. The US taxes a lot less in every way and yet they maintain a gigantic military machine (the budget of the next 10 biggest military spenders combined), plus a massive federal interstate freeway system. In Canada, not only do we have a joke of a military but we don't even have ONE four-lane freeway that connects the country coast-to-coast (an embarrassing fact for a G7 country). Indeed, there's a single two-lane segment of the trans-Canada highway in western Ontario that is the only link between the east and the west. One accident, one road closure and the whole country is cut in half. That's the Canada you live in.

So where does all the tax money go? I can't think of a single service I'm getting in Canada that I wasn't getting in the US. And no, it's not free health care. There's nothing free about it in Canada, at least not in Ontario. I pay 300 dollars a year for it as part of my provincial income tax (it's called the Ontario Health Premium). So the provincial health care program should be called what it is: forced government insurance. In the US I was paying a private insurance premium, here I pay it to the government, with the difference that here I don't have the option to opt out of the insurance program. So yea, it's the same crap: you pay one way or the other. Don't lecture me about free health care. Rather than making moral speeches, you should stop embarrassing yourself and instead study some basic facts.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Jes said:
The second bolded makes me believe you are the latter: it does not affect you (and now me) yet. Show me one conservative government in the world at any time in history who was fiscally responsible without almost destroying the society it was in and leaving, after a brief relief, more damage than it wanted to fix (Thatcher says hi).
South Korea. Its rise as one of the four economic "asian tigers" in the 80's was largely attributed to the (conservative) government economic policies. It went from what was considered a poor country to a developed 1st world nation.

Honesty with attitudes like yours regarding anyone who votes conservative makes it no wonder why conservatives would be "anti-immigrant". I don't blindly support or reject any party. I've both voted liberal and conservative recently in the recent provincial and by-elections. Both parties have the pros and cons. Hyper-partisan attitudes is a big issue that really brings things down.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
It's not just that people like Jes don't know the facts. It's more than that: they still don't have an argument for why I should vote liberal, other than "more taxes is good for society".

More taxes is good for the lazy people who don't want to work low wage jobs but instead prefer to sit in their parents' home and watch TV. These are the people who benefit from more taxes. They are the only ones who get the truly free health care since they earn less than 20K a year and thus don't have to pay the Ontario Health Premium.

For a working person like me, from where I'm sitting, more taxes means less money in my pocket but no increase in the services I'm already getting. Again, no thank you!

(and you'll forgive me if I don't feel any responsibility for lazy people. I don't plan to change that).

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
First @ keesio
South Korea was a military dictatorship until 1987, which is a imho a hard-core conservative if you want to count them as cons. The former dictator who was killed around 1980 built almost all infrastructure used in the country today.

I also voted con before and would do it again (if I lived in Toronto I would vote Tory and not Chow, while I sure our friend Marcus would go with Ford).
So I didn’t say vote lib, I said vote anything but THIS conservative government. And this has nothing to do with their immigration policies. I’m sure their whole goal is opportunistic and demagogic, but I am/was always against any misuse of the system, because it would lead to what we have today. What I don’t like about THIS government approach to immigration is the undertone that almost all immigrants are fraud criminals and we must hit hard.

I am against this Con government because it changes the Canada I wanted to raise my children in. I grew up reading about Canada’s Lester Pearson and Tommy Douglas and Canada’s best UN country in the world, Canada’s the environmental paradise, Canada’s the politic respect (forget Quebec for now). Even politicians like Diefenbaker treated their opponents with respect. And Yes I knew that times were changing before I came. I have family here and knew about Harper (even about Haris in ON) beforehand.
What Harper is doing is that he changes Canada slowly with small mostly irreversible steps. Canada’s reputation is already gone (to use marcus terminology, will cost us money because of lost business deals), environmental supervision is almost gone (cost us money because one event can cost you billions while saving peanuts), non-partisan politics is gone (he has been appointing low and mid-level like-minded for 8 years) and the list goes on and on.

So yes I would vote lib next elections, not because of the merits of the libs (they have only few), but because any vote to another party is one for the cons.

marcus66502 said:
…..
Everything I own I've earned on my own (no assistance of any form from the government).
Yeah keep enjoying your costume built streets, your private police, hospitals, not subsidized drinking water. Also keep your shxxxt in your own built sewage systems, home school your children. Keep bartering with other similar minded business partners and don’t use gov money and don’t abide to any regulations (developed by people costing money).
Sometimes I really wish to some would conduct an experiment and divide the world in 2 equal parts, where persons like you live in one part where the can govern themselves without any intervention from anyone and see how this utopia state (u wanted some philosophy, eh) would fare.

marcus66502 said:
…… Because if you did, you'd probably show your ignorance of how inefficiently the Government of Canada spends taxpayer money compared to other western governments. The US taxes a lot less in every way and yet they maintain a gigantic military machine (the budget of the next 10 biggest military spenders combined), plus a massive federal interstate freeway system. In Canada, not only do we have a joke of a military but we don't even have ONE four-lane freeway that connects the country coast-to-coast (an embarrassing fact for a G7 country). Indeed, there's a single two-lane segment of the trans-Canada highway in western Ontario that is the only link between the east and the west. One accident, one road closure and the whole country is cut in half. That's the Canada you live in.
I am not going to compare the 1.3% of Canada’s GDP with the 4.4 of the US GDP spent on defense. This is a long story. I am not also going into of the economic history of the development of the US highway system and its relation to where goods were produced and to where they were moved there, and into the fact the Canada has never needed a cost to cost four lane highway, but where it matters, it did have a good transportation systems (which needs an upgrade admittedly). I’ll remain engulfed in my cushy ignorance and let you do all the ranting for me.

marcus66502 said:
So where does all the tax money go? I can't think of a single service I'm getting in Canada that I wasn't getting in the US. And no, it's not free health care. There's nothing free about it in Canada, at least not in Ontario. I pay 300 dollars a year for it as part of my provincial income tax (it's called the Ontario Health Premium). So the provincial health care program should be called what it is: forced government insurance. In the US I was paying a private insurance premium, here I pay it to the government, with the difference that here I don't have the option to opt out of the insurance program. So yea, it's the same crap: you pay one way or the other. Don't lecture me about free health care. Rather than making moral speeches, you should stop embarrassing yourself and instead study some basic facts.
I came here from Germany, where I last would have to pay 15.6% of my monthly income for public health insurance (must have increased since then). I also could opt out (which I did) and choose between around 400 private health insurance providers, which then will cost around 18-20%. Are you willing to exchange your $300 with this system?
If not, enjoy what you have here, rather than ranting an repeating right wing talking points, or go to the states for private health if you want.

marcus66502 said:
hey that's your opinion and you certainly have a right to it. Like I have the right to be against them.
Totally agree, so let’s leave it this way. We high jacked this thread enough.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Jes said:
First @ keesio
South Korea was a military dictatorship until 1987, which is a imho a hard-core conservative if you want to count them as cons. The former dictator who was killed around 1980 built almost all infrastructure used in the country today.
yes I'm very familiar with South Korea. My parents live there (as have I for a bit during this "dictatorship"). The economic policy during that time is as conservative as it gets. Especially with the government support given to the chaebols (huge conglomerates like Hyundai, Samsung, LG, etc).

Another very conservative government (economically but also socially) doing very well (always had really) - Singapore. Quality of life is always near the top.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Jes said:
Totally agree, so let's leave it this way. We high jacked this thread enough.
Same here. This thread has been thoroughly hijacked (my apologies to the OP).

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Jes said:
I am not going to compare the 1.3% of Canada's GDP with the 4.4 of the US GDP spent on defense. This is a long story. I am not also going into of the economic history of the development of the US highway system and its relation to where goods were produced and to where they were moved there, and into the fact the Canada has never needed a cost to cost four lane highway, but where it matters, it did have a good transportation systems (which needs an upgrade admittedly).
You're missing the point: and that is that the US manages to do a lot more with its tax revenue even though per capita it taxes its citizens much less than Canada. Income tax differences aside, the US Government does not want 5% of the value of every purchase you make (sales taxes are only charged by state governments). And you don't pay 25 cents of federal/state tax per every liter of gas you buy in the US. And at the end of the day, the roads sure as hell don't get any worse when you cross the border into the US. In fact, I can't think of a single service that goes away or gets worse.

I don't know why you quote me. It's not as if you're actually reading my post before you reply. I just wrote that one lame two-laner is the only thing that connects Canada's east and West, and you still keep saying Canada does not need a coast-to-coast four-lane highway. What stronger argument is there for a twinned highway or even a second one? Never mind the convenience of civilian drivers. It's a matter of national security. How the hell are you going to get military equipment from one end of the country to the other in war time? Oh never mind, I forgot. This country hasn't planned for any wars. It's too far on the edge of the world to be effectively attacked by any country other than the US, and we sure as hell aren't going to fight the US if it came to that. We don't stand a snowballs' chance in hell.

Canada does not need a four-lane highway? Really? In whose opinion? Yours? I'm sure I could get a majority of Canadians to disagree once I explain to them that all it takes to break up their country in half is just one road accident.

Jes said:
I'll remain engulfed in my cushy ignorance and let you do all the ranting for me.
Good to know someone willingly admits to being ignorant.

Jes said:
I came here from Germany, where I last would have to pay 15.6% of my monthly income for public health insurance (must have increased since then). I also could opt out (which I did) and choose between around 400 private health insurance providers, which then will cost around 18-20%. Are you willing to exchange your $300 with this system?
I didn't say I'd go to Germany. Comparing yourself to those that do worse than you doesn't really provide any motivation to improve.

Jes said:
If not, enjoy what you have here, rather than ranting an repeating right wing talking points, or go to the states for private health if you want.
Totally agree, so let's leave it this way. We high jacked this thread enough.
My opinions are right wing ranting points to those who have different opinions. At the end of the day, your convictions are no more morally superior than mine. And I sure as hell have every right to voice my convictions. Too bad you don't like them.

I'm gonna vote conservative because they best represent my interests: lower taxes, lower immigration, couldn't ask for better. That's right: reduced immigration is what's best for Canada. The job market's almost non-existent and immigrant housing takes up valuable farmland which this country is in desperate shortage of. What was that? I'm a racist? I'll tell you where you can go complain: at the "Who-gives-a-shi.t" Department. It's my right to have an anti-immigration stance and there's not a damned thing you can do about it except tap your heels three times.

The liberals in Canada are literally insane. I see what they do in Ontario and I'll do my best to help contain them to this province only. They're the reason we have the multi-culturalism bullshi.t and the reason I see french in every product I buy. For this alone I'll never vote for them. You damn bet your rootie patooties Conservative is what I'll be voting for, for life.

There you have it! We can leave this thread alone. Absolutely!

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
I know I said I won't post but I really really couldn't prevent myself. mia culpa :-*

marcus66502 said:
The liberals in Canada are literally insane.
Then prepare to live under literally insane feds after Oct 2015 (if you live in NB it'll be this September).
Live with it: the Harper years helped people like you to emerge from anonymity holes. (I don't call you cons, because the majority of real cons are reasonable), and now normal Canadians know what and who they would encounter if they follow this path (see Rob Ford). I am sure that even some moderate conservatives are going to vote Trudeau (who else) next year. Just remember BC and Ontario where unelectable Lib parties have won anyway.

And lets be honest if you go campaigning for your policies with the same tone and attitude you are showing here, it wouldn't be a great help to your party of choice (btw may I quote your posts here in my campaigning to divert people from voting for your party of choice?)

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Jes said:
I know I said I won't post but I really really couldn't prevent myself. mia culpa :-*

Then prepare to live under literally insane feds after Oct 2015 (if you live in NB it'll be this September).
Live with it: the Harper years helped people like you to emerge from anonymity holes. (
Nope, there's nothing anonymous about me or my views. I speak them out in plain open air, to anyone's face, just like I did above. Always have!

Yes, you have the liberals in charge in the liberal provinces, while the conservatives have power at the federal level until 2015 because Canadians nationally voted for them, twice, and they might very well do it again. I wouldn't count your chickens before they're hatched. You might end up embarrassing yourself.

In any case, it doesn't matter to me who wins the elections. I'm always gonna vote conservative for the reasons I described. Now that's something you can bet on.

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Conservatives trail in 8 of 10 provinces; Libs lead, but Mulcair top leader
[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

The federal Liberals have held or expanded their lead in every part of the country, and have even made tentative inroads into Alberta, a large-sample survey shows. The Liberals lead in all regions except the Prairies, a point that does not augur well for Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party.

[SEE CHARTS AT BOTTOM]

The poll of more than 2,600 Canadians of voting age, conducted between July 16 and 23, confirms earlier polling showing Justin Trudeau’s Liberal Party have pushed out to a profound lead. Moreover, Trudeau so far has managed to avoid being dragged down by putative gaffes on abortion rights policy or marijuana legalization. Indeed there is no evidence that this is having any meaningful affect on voting intentions.

The vaunted Big Shift is indiscernible, with all evidence pointing in the opposite direction. It appears that the Canadian public are now moving to the centre and left and this may arguably be a response to increasing fatigue to being governed from the right when Canadians are actually moving in a more progressive direction. Far from there being any apparent ascendance of the Conservatives as the new natural governing party, their reign appears to be closing and the recent surprising (though not to us) election of majority Liberal governments in Canada’s two largest provinces, may well be a harbinger of the end of the period of conservative political dominance in Canada.

Obviously, we aren’t making any predictions about the results of the next federal election this far out. The Conservative Party has enormous campaign warchests and a budget surplus with which to “encourage” support in key swing regions. They will also have the profound advantage of the political arithmetic of a fractured centre left arrayed across four party choices, three of which are led by inexperienced leaders, versus a consolidated Conservative Party supported by a seasoned and effective political machine. Yet the evidence suggests the likelihood of another Conservative majority is increasingly unlikely, even at this early date.

Vote Intention: Huge Changes since 2011

What a difference three years and a new leader make. The once hapless Liberal Party of Canada has gone form a dismal 18.9 points at the ballot box in the last election to a muscular 38.7 per cent in the polls. The very surprising Conservative coalition that drew in an impressive 39.6 per cent of the voters in 2011 has collapsed, with just 25.6 per cent of those polled nw saying they would support the Conservatives. That puts the CPC and the NDP (23.4 per cent) in a virtual tie. The more obvious question now isn’t whether the Conservatives can repeat its stunning majority triumph of 2011; it may be whether it can even hold onto opposition leader status.

While Thomas Mulcair and the NDP may not be pleased with these numbers, they have some reasons for optimism. Indeed, Mulcair has a lead in Quebec and enjoys the highest approval rating of any of the party leaders (see chart below). It is also notable that Mulcair’s relative position is much stronger today than was Jack Layton’s in the lead up the surprising surge that the Layton and the NDP made in the 41st federal election.

The trend lines are more daunting for the Conservatives. It may well be unprecedented to see a Liberal or Conservative party more than double its support over a similar time period. It is also clear that the Liberal rise which seems to once again be moving upward is not a blip, but a solid trend. Equally clear is that the Conservative trend is a real and disturbing fall from grace which shows little sign of recovering to the 2011 results.

The public view on the next election mirrors the evidence we have just reviewed on trends and current numbers. By a clear margin of 44 to 27, the public sees a Liberal – not Conservative – government succeeding in 2015. Of those who see a Liberal government, however, the clear lean is to see a minority rather than majority. Notably, only 12 per cent of the public see another Conservative majority in the cards, compared to the 18 per cent who see a Liberal majority.

Mulcair and Harper at Opposite Ends of Approval Spectrum

This month, we updated our approval numbers for Canada’s party leaders. As noted earlier, Thomas Mulcair enjoys the highest approval rating of any of the three party major leaders (54 per cent). More importantly, his popularity seems to transcend party lines and he enjoys high approval ratings everywhere outside of the Conservative base. Justin Trudeau benefits from similarly high approval numbers (49 per cent), although his disapproval rating is noticeably higher (34 per cent, compared to 25 per cent for Mr. Mulcair).

Stephen Harper, in contrast, is the least popular of any of the seven leaders we tested. Indeed, by a margin of more than two-to-one (65 per cent to 29 per cent), Canadians disapprove of the way Mr. Harper is handling his job. Even Alberta – a long-standing Conservative stronghold – is divided, with as many respondents leaning towards disapproval as approval. Nevertheless, he remains remarkably popular with Conservatives and enjoys the highest in-party approval rating of any of the federal party leaders so it is highly unlikely that his party will be giving him the boot anytime in the near future.

We also included the Premiers of Canada’s three largest provinces in our approval testing. At the front end of the spectrum is Kathleen Wynne who garners the approval of 52 per cent of Ontarians, a marked improvement from the later years of McGuinty’s reign, when the plurality of Ontarians disapproved of their Premier.

Philippe Couillard enjoys similar approval numbers in Quebec (48 per cent) and has yet to make any enemies, with a disapproval rating of just 27 per cent. Nevertheless, a sizeable number of Quebec residents – 25 per cent – still aren’t sure what to make of him. Christy Clark, meanwhile, receives approval from less than one-third of her constituents (31 per cent), with a clear majority (62 per cent) expressing disapproval.

Finally, we included Barack Obama who, as usual, outranks any of the Canadian leaders tested. He does well with Canadians across all ages and regions, although his popularity is notably lower in Alberta, perhaps a reflection of his persistent unwillingness to make a decision regarding the Keystone Pipeline system.

So Should Stephen Harper Stay or Go?

We haven’t had much good news for Stephen Harper in this poll. Even a slim majority favours his early retirement. Not surprisingly, enthusiasm for his staying is largely restricted to the shrunken Conservative base (only nine per cent think he should go now, which should cool the ambitions of any pretenders to this throne initiating a push). This finding is surprising as they certainly don’t give him those kinds of approval numbers outside of the Conservative base. Whether it is respect for due process or some sense that he has become an asset to progressive fortunes is unclear.

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2014/08/09/conservatives-trail-in-8-of-10-provinces-liberals-surge-but-mulcair-tops-in-job-approval/

vbomb

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1122 business management consultant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
07-SEP-2010
Nomination.....
23-MAR-2010
AOR Received.
01-SEP-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
01-SEP-2010
Med's Done....
17-AUG-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-MAR-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-APR-2011
LANDED..........
19-APR-2011
marcus66502 said:
You're missing the point: and that is that the US manages to do a lot more with its tax revenue even though per capita it taxes its citizens much less than Canada. Income tax differences aside, the US Government does not want 5% of the value of every purchase you make (sales taxes are only charged by state governments). And you don't pay 25 cents of federal/state tax per every liter of gas you buy in the US. And at the end of the day, the roads sure as hell don't get any worse when you cross the border into the US. In fact, I can't think of a single service that goes away or gets worse.
Just to address this point, the US generates a large amount of revenue from its corporate taxes, therefore it doesn't need to tax so high on personal income. It's the best capitalist society in the world and can attract the best talents. We don't have Apples, Googles, Intels, Microsoft, Proctor and Gamble to tax, just to name a few

Business in Canada is more on the operational side rather than anything that is truly ground breaking. There are some incentive but not as much as the US. Also Canada is a bigger country, with less people (10 TIMES less!). To put into perceptive, there are MORE people in California than there are in Canada! (38 mill vs 34 mill)

Maverick.Canajun

Jul 6, 2014
Windsor, Canada
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Nomination.....
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
18-12-2014
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
11-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
Interview........
Waived 3rd Line 09-04-2015
Passport Req..
29-05-2015 Decision Made : 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-06-2015 Passport Returned : 12-06-2015
OH STREWTH! WHAT THE F@#$# HAPPENED HERE WHILE I WAS AWAY?
Bye FL1040 & Best of Luck with your life. I didn't think politics was part of this anyway.... Hyuk Idiots!

FL1040 said:
I never thought saying goodbye would ruffle so many feathers :p