+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time to process PRTD = time to process PR renewal application.

sammy_2401

Star Member
Jan 18, 2014
Hi,

Experts, please comment on my statement.

If your PR card renewal is 'in process', my conclusion from reading through this forum is that it may take as early as 2 days, or as long as 2 years for completing the process. Good or bad - that is the situation with CIC as of date.

Meanwhile, if you travel out of Canada, then do not expect your PR travel document available to you abroad UNTIL completion of processing of your PR card renewal application in Canada.

Hence I say - Time to process PRTD = time to process PR renewal application. (assuming you applied for PR renewal and left Canada).

Decision to issue you a PRTD is taken by the same office in Canada who is processing your PR renewal application and not the local office abroad.

Local office abroad just forwards your PRTD application to CIC - Canada and waits their decision. CIC-Canada need to review your meeting the residency obligations and approve your PRTD before it can be issued by CIC local office abroad.

Is my understanding and statements I made here are right?

Experts please comment, your comments will be useful to many on this forum. Thanks in advance.

-Sammy

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I don't believe that you are correct. The PRTD is done by the visa office in the country you applied in, and is not forwarded back to Canada. Also, PR card renewal will take at least 3 weeks if urgent processing is requested. If not, the minimum is something like a minimum of 90 days. The maximum? Who knows....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not correct. There have been cases where people have been refused a travel document while at the same time, their renewed PR card had already been approved and they were getting a notice mailed to them in Canada to come and pick it up. To me, that doesn't suggest that it's the same office that makes the decision.

The processing time for a PR renewal on the CIC website right now is 89 days. Some may be faster, some may take longer. If they have a problem with your application, it may well drag on for a year or possibly longer.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The PRC application and the PRTD application are both done by officers of CIC but by default they look at different 5 year time block as this is based on the date of examination which in turn determined by the application date this being when the application was signed. Many PRs get delays with their PRC processing but decide to take the risk and leave with a plan to get a PRTD to return to Canada. Since CIC load all applications on the GCMS database then both Sidney and the visa post will have your records on file and any concerns at Sidney should be noted by the visa post and vice versa so if they have a residence concern back in Canada its not going to be a walk in the park for TD approval.

If I were in this delayed processing scenario I would only depart Canada if I had conclusive proof of meeting 730 days plus the number of days I would be out of Canada plus a healthy buffer...I wouldn't do this if I had less than 3 years! Further I would only take the risk if I was visitor visa exempt to Canada. The US visa route to a land border crossing has the inherent risk that you could lose the US visa passport or meet the CBP agent having a bad day and you get bounced at the border!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
realtexdex said:
Has anyone with just a COPR been bounced from a land border?
I was referring to being bounced by CBP...relying on CBP to let you into the US so you can then get to a land border means you still have a risk compared to a PR that is visitor visa exempt who is guaranteed to get to a Canadian Port of Entry. What happens if you show up at say JFK seeking admission so you can drive upstate NY to the Lacolle POE and CBP at JFK bounces you?

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
No I mean, if someone is already working in the US, and they attempt to enter Canada with just a COPR, will they be bounced?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
realtexdex said:
No I mean, if someone is already working in the US, and they attempt to enter Canada with just a COPR, will they be bounced?
If the COPR is legit and your PR status has not been revoked by due process then CBSA will admit you...they can still report you and here lies the problem for those in breach of the RO.

manochan

Nov 7, 2013
Hi Sammy_2401
You asked me quite a few questions about my PR withdrawal status as you wanted to follow same procedure.
I did not receive anything in writing but my e-status firstly showed as ‘Application withdrawn’. This was on Mar 18.
As of yesterday, they have put my new PR-Renewal application as
1) Received on Feb 25
2) Started processing on Mar 4
And to my surprise the main status shows as ‘Complete’.
However, I have not received anything so far from them as yet.

My 2nd application was with all relevant proof of my stay here.
During this period I worked for four Canadian companies medium to large. I attached all my paystubs, offer letters, employment certificates, medical results, tax assessments, etc.
It worked.
Regards,
Monochan