+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time to apply for a Third Country Police Certificate - For long stays

ZekeCA

Nov 18, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have been an expat to the Philippines and lived there for 13 months in a row starting from January 2020.
I went back to my home country for vacation in March 2021.
And in September 2021 I returned to the Philippines again.
I plan to return to my home country in July 2022 and start the application.

According to IRCC:

For any other country (you have lived before but not country of residence)
For any other country, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row.

It is difficult to secure a Philippine-issued police certificate from Philippine embassies and consulates compared to within the Philippines. So, for the sake of Philippine-issued police certificates for Canada Express Entry, when should I get one?

For example, shall I:

1. Travel to another country (say, Thailand) on June 1, 2022 and stay there for four days
2. Come back to the Philippines on June 5, 2022
3. Apply for a Philippine-issued police certificate which is then issued on June 15, 2022
4. Leave the Philippines on July 10, 2022 permanently

Since "the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row" is June 1, will that police certificate satisfy the "issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row" requirement and be accepted by the immigration officer?

P.S. Both the Philippine and Thai immigration apply stamps upon arrival at and departure from their country.

Thank you for your assistance!