+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time outside Canada accompanying spouse (citizen)

RileyM

Feb 15, 2017
My common-law partner (soon to be spouse) has PR status through me (Canadian citizen). He landed and got the card, but we didn't settle. We had intended to settle within about a year but things kept coming up.. his father had an unexpectedly prolonged terminal illness, then just when we were ready to sell our flat so we could move to Canada the Covid lockdowns began. Now things are opening up, we have now put our flat on the market and are hoping it sells soon. His PR card ends in April. If it ends before we go and we have to apply for a travel permit, is it likely they could refuse? He has not spent much time in Canada, but has accompanied me almost all his time outside Canada and from everything I've read that means his time with me counts as time within Canada, in which case he meets his RO. We've been living in the same place in the UK all this time, ready to sell and want to buy a house in Canada and permanently settle in Canada ASAP. Will the fact that we haven't settled in so many years mean anything? We are not breaking any PR rules that I know of but I expect we'll need plenty of proof that we've been living together the whole time. Will that be enough? Or could the lack of settling be a possible reason for refusal? Are there things we can do to prove our seriousness about settling in Canada so they know this was just a delay to our plans which haven't changed? Would it be better to enter Canada with the PR card before it expires even if our flat hasn't sold yet? Appreciate any advice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My common-law partner (soon to be spouse) has PR status through me (Canadian citizen). He landed and got the card, but we didn't settle. We had intended to settle within about a year but things kept coming up.. his father had an unexpectedly prolonged terminal illness, then just when we were ready to sell our flat so we could move to Canada the Covid lockdowns began. Now things are opening up, we have now put our flat on the market and are hoping it sells soon. His PR card ends in April. If it ends before we go and we have to apply for a travel permit, is it likely they could refuse? He has not spent much time in Canada, but has accompanied me almost all his time outside Canada and from everything I've read that means his time with me counts as time within Canada, in which case he meets his RO. We've been living in the same place in the UK all this time, ready to sell and want to buy a house in Canada and permanently settle in Canada ASAP. Will the fact that we haven't settled in so many years mean anything? We are not breaking any PR rules that I know of but I expect we'll need plenty of proof that we've been living together the whole time. Will that be enough? Or could the lack of settling be a possible reason for refusal? Are there things we can do to prove our seriousness about settling in Canada so they know this was just a delay to our plans which haven't changed? Would it be better to enter Canada with the PR card before it expires even if our flat hasn't sold yet? Appreciate any advice.
I would recommend that you read through this discussion.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/who-accompanied-whom-can-matter-for-prs-living-with-citizen-spouse-abroad-update.579860/

Reactions: Naheulbeuck