+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time of application after eligibility

pascastel

Jun 29, 2017
On december 24, I had the number of days of presence required +15 days.
Now I am outside of Canada. Can I still apply now signing my documents for dec 24 ?

I hear somewhere their is a 90 days rule, so one can back-date his application, is that true ?

Thank you all !

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
On december 24, I had the number of days of presence required +15 days.
Now I am outside of Canada. Can I still apply now signing my documents for dec 24 ?

I hear somewhere their is a 90 days rule, so one can back-date his application, is that true ?

Thank you all !
Date of application:

There is a 90 day stale-dated application rule. If the application was signed, as dated, more than 90 days prior to the date it arrives at CPC-Sydney, the application is considered stale-dated and will be returned to the applicant.

Back-dating a document is a different thing. I am not familiar with the approach Canadian law employs regarding back-dating documents generally. But signing a citizenship application is not the same thing as signing a cheque or lease agreement or any document for which the signature does not necessarily constitute certifying the truthfulness of the document (many times a signature evidences an agreement not verification, or like on a cheque a promise, and typically it is OK to execute an agreement or promise as of a date other than the date it is signed).

I am guessing that it is probably fairly common for applicant signatures to be dated a day or three off from the actual date it is signed, for various reasons.

More than that? If an individual is comfortable signing his or her application for a date that is not the actual date it is being signed, I suspect that is easy enough to get away with. BUT obviously, since the applicant's signature verifies that all the information in the application is true and correct, to enter a date different than the date it is actually signed is to verify something which is NOT true.

Again, probably fairly common for signature dates to be off by a day or three, for various reasons. More than that, it is what it is. No advanced degrees in engineering or truth-telling necessary to recognize what it is.

Applying while living abroad:

Should be obvious that if a prospective applicant is abroad briefly, best to wait to apply after returning to Canada. So I am guessing that you are now either living abroad or otherwise abroad for an extended period of time.

I just posted a response to a similar situation in the topic titled "Applying from Outside of Canada."

The "can" do answer fails to adequately consider the severe logistical hurdles involved, the more telling explanation as to what it is practical to do. Especially for an applicant cutting-it-close.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
When you are planning to return to Canada? Why dont you just return and apply from your residence in Canada?

pascastel

Jun 29, 2017
I now live in Australia, I will be back to Canada few times this year, probably Vancouver.
I want to apply providing an address in Vancouver. I will fit my work schedule around test and oath dates.
Should I declare that I moved to Australia and provide an address in Vancouver on my application form?
Thank you?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I now live in Australia, I will be back to Canada few times this year, probably Vancouver.
I want to apply providing an address in Vancouver. I will fit my work schedule around test and oath dates.
Should I declare that I moved to Australia and provide an address in Vancouver on my application form?
Thank you?
Are you seriously asking whether you should conceal what your actual residential address is? Lie to IRCC about where you are living?

There used to be a large number of consultants who would readily offer advice about how to do that successfully, or so they claimed but often did not deliver, for a steep price either way. But even if they are out of jail now, they are either no longer in business or they are not so easy to find and hire, and their cost has probably gone way up. Their rate of success is undoubtedly down.

OK, sure, it is likely more than a few take that fork in the road and more than a few probably succeed. Some are likely inclined to brag about how easy it is. Odds are high most do NOT succeed. The price paid is often more harsh, way more harsh, than can be counted in loonies.

But this much I do know: if anyone is giving advice to make misrepresentations to IRCC, they are not to be trusted.

pascastel

Jun 29, 2017
No, I don't want to lie to anyone.
I can tell immigration I just moved to Australia and put on my application an address in Vancouver (a friend) so I can receive the letter.
I have no issue to travel to Canada few times this year.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I can tell immigration I just moved to Australia and put on my application an address in Vancouver (a friend) so I can receive the letter.
You can put any MAILING address you like but the form also asks you where you live right now (RESIDENTIAL address) and for that you have two options:
- give your Australian address
- give a Canadian address and therefore misrepresent yourself meaning that even in 20 years they can revoke your citizenship if they find out.

Apart from that, see dpenabill's comments above.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
To clarify further, the application guide says that for question 7 you are to provide your
  • home address (where you live)
So you must give your Australian address in Q7. Again, for mailing, you can put a Canadian address

pascastel

Jun 29, 2017
Thank you.
My forms are signs on Dec 27th where I wasn't living in Australia yet....
So, I am not lying to anyone.

Basically, it comes to the following questions:
Immigration send test and oath letters to (1) the address stated on your application or
(2) to your current residence address?
For me 1 is Vancouver and 2 is Australia.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thank you.
My forms are signs on Dec 27th where I wasn't living in Australia yet....
So, I am not lying to anyone.

Basically, it comes to the following questions:
Immigration send test and oath letters to (1) the address stated on your application or
(2) to your current residence address?
For me 1 is Vancouver and 2 is Australia.
Everything is sent to your mailing address.

Also, you do you. I think what both dpenabill and I are trying to get to is that it seems as if you want to keep it a secret that you moved to Australia. Keep in mind that misrepresentation is not just lying but also intentionally concealing circumstances. Stale dating an application to avoid telling them you moved to Australia is a borderline thing.

If you intend to tell IRCC that you moved to Australia, then please disregard all the stuff I said about misrepresentation.

Finally, I am not a lawyer so of course in the end do what you think is right!

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
OP, I think you are on your own. Not sure anyone in this forum can answer your questions and also be accurate from policy per se. Best is you talk to a lawyer or just apply and take the risk.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As referenced in multiple threads, knowing and navigating the technicalities in this scenario does not really tell the tale. The practical logistics pose some serious hurdles (timely responding to IRCC queries alone, which for the applicant living abroad there are almost certain to be some non-routine requests, can be challenging for an applicant living on another continent) but there are also pitfalls.

Take the use of a mailing address in Canada. There are scores of reasons why people living in Canada have a mailing address apart from their residential address. Common enough practice. BUT for an applicant living on another continent, a "mailing address" in Canada clearly signals more than a mailing address, it signals having a representative (it is not like you drop by every few days to gather your mail at your mailing address -- someone is handling your mail for you and that makes them a representative). Sure, that can be handled by properly declaring the representative in the application. This is, perhaps, a minor detail and one the savvy and informed applicant can handle in stride, but the many tales of trials and tribulations which populate forums like this tend to illustrate how many fail to proportionally ramp up their game to properly cross the t's and dot the i's when they are pushing the technicality boundaries.

And there is still the potential problem of responding to something like a Finger Print request timely, let alone more extensive requests, and showing up on time for a scheduled test and interview, and for the oath, recognizing that the applicant living abroad is quite likely to encounter significantly more non-routine processing and skepticism and less-flexibility.

This is not to say it is so difficult to be impossible. And what the actual odds are for encountering significantly increased problems is an unknown. The odds also vary with circumstances, ranging from how solid the case is apart from issues arising from living abroad while the application is pending, to just how promptly and reliably the representative (friend or family member, or professional, authorized representative) handles communications from IRCC, and of course the applicant's capacity to abruptly get on a flight to Canada to attend an interview or the oath.

Historically scores of applicants have succumbed to the temptation to fudge some of the information in the application in an effort to help the process go more smoothly, including omissions about work or school abroad, fudging address history. Not a good idea.

For an applicant cutting-it-close and living abroad, even if the move abroad is after applying let alone prior to applying, it is simply not all that easy, not at all.

pascastel

Jun 29, 2017
I just sent my application on Feb 26th am. The application was signed on dec 25th. This is 63 days.

What is the date that counts ?

1) the date you send the application
2) the date they receive it
3) the date they start processing

Thank you !

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
*Reaches for the popcorn*

I don't think that this is going to end well...