+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility period - "did you live outside of Canada?" question

bm3

Dec 29, 2017
The question states: "During your eligibility period did you live outside of Canada?"

My husband's eligibility period is 2013-03-24 - 2018-03-24. Yes he was still living in his home country of Brazil from 2013-03-24 until 2013-06-12 when he came to Canada to live with me.

So for this section, would I have to check YES he did live outside Canada? But then do we really have to complete the Residence Outside of Canada form? I feel like that form doesn't apply to us.

That "eligibility period" of his time in Brazil doesn't even matter because we are already over the amount of days that are required to apply for citizenship anyways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
The question states: "During your eligibility period did you live outside of Canada?"

My husband's eligibility period is 2013-03-24 - 2018-03-24. Yes he was still living in his home country of Brazil from 2013-03-24 until 2013-06-12 when he came to Canada to live with me.

So for this section, would I have to check YES he did live outside Canada? But then do we really have to complete the Residence Outside of Canada form? I feel like that form doesn't apply to us.

That "eligibility period" of his time in Brazil doesn't even matter because we are already over the amount of days that are required to apply for citizenship anyways.

Tick "yes", complete the form by putting "N/A" in the relevant fields. If you want to, add a note (on a separate piece of paper -- add name and UCI) saying you added the form for completeness, but it doesn't apply because he wasn't a crown servant abroad (or the spouse of one).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Item 9.c asks if the applicant lived outside Canada during the eligibility period, that is the five years prior to the date the application is signed. This is a simple factual question.

The applicant who has lived outside Canada during the preceding five years who answers this TRUTHFULLY is instructed to complete the CIT 0177 form (credit based on Crown Service abroad form). Many (most) applicants who truthfully answer item 9.c "yes" are NOT eligible for any Crown Service credit. The general instructions state to put "NA" for items which are not applicable. So such applicants can appropriately fill in the form with "NA."

Alternatively, many appear to be untruthfully answering "no" in response to item 9.c and it may even be the case that IRCC prefers those who are not entitled to Crown Service credit respond this way (suggesting that IRCC intends item 9.c to implicitly ask if the applicant claims any credit for time lived abroad, and if "yes" then include CIT 0177).

It is too soon to be sure the latter actually works. It probably does.

But the former, answering "yes" and submitting CIT 0177 marked "NA" will definitely work and it is the truthful way to respond.

NOTE: yes, applicants who came to Canada less than five years prior to qualifying and applying for citizenship are required to nonetheless provide a lot of information FOR THE FULL FIVE (5) YEAR ELIGIBILITY PERIOD. Including in particular address history and work history. This may seem awkward, inconvenient, or even unnecessary, but it is the approach now taken by the current government.

Abu Hassaan

Champion Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I had same situation. I answered "NO" and attached a short explanation stating that although I lived outside Canada during my eligibulity period (almost 2 years) but none of the condition (list the conditions) applies to me therefore I answered NO to the question that I haven't lived outside Canada under any of the listed condition.

By the way, many believe that it is not a truthful answer but actually it is because question is being asked with regards to certain conditions which follow in next question.

My application has already been approved and currently I am at DM stage and waiting for Oath.