+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time line for Permanent Residence application for Refugees

Homelonely

Jul 12, 2022
I have a problem and I need advice on what to do. One of my dependent son's left home by himself and has been missing for over two weeks now. We've done all we can to find him but haven't been able to. My fear now is that if we are asked to provide medicals and he still can't be found what would happen. Can we just report him as missing for now until he is hopefully found? I'm trusting that he's not dead and will return alive.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello everyone. I received my permanent application number and it shows that I passed medical exam and they are doing background check. How can I check the bar ? I applied in October , 2022 , and how long would it take me to get the PR ? thanks
The progress bar shown on your online file is just an estimate of how many months have passed based on average processing times. It is just an estimate so don’t put too much weight on the percentage completed given. The progress bar can say 100% and some situations wait months to get approval.

Reactions: bfour

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a problem and I need advice on what to do. One of my dependent son's left home by himself and has been missing for over two weeks now. We've done all we can to find him but haven't been able to. My fear now is that if we are asked to provide medicals and he still can't be found what would happen. Can we just report him as missing for now until he is hopefully found? I'm trusting that he's not dead and will return alive.
Would hope that he is found or returns home by the time medicals are requested. Wouldn’t focus on potential issues until they actually happen. Assume there is a good chance that he will have returned home or you will know how to reach him by the time medicals are requested.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello everyone. I received my permanent application number and it shows that I passed medical exam and they are doing background check. How can I check the bar ? I applied in October , 2022 , and how long would it take me to get the PR ? thanks
Unfortunately you likely have quite a while longer. Applications times fluctuate depending on resource allocation and number of applications. The would be expecting it it take around 2 years. If it happens earlier than that’s great.

Homelonely

Jul 12, 2022
Would hope that he is found or returns home by the time medicals are requested. Wouldn’t focus on potential issues until they actually happen. Assume there is a good chance that he will have returned home or you will know how to reach him by the time medicals are requested.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just worried about the implications of him not being found.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just worried about the implications of him not being found.
Would focus on finding on him and him returning safely. How long has it been since you applied for PR? Has the protected person in Canada received PR already? Normally their PR is completed first then the family gets processed.

If worst case scenario your son isn’t located or heard from in many weeks I would file a police report about a missing person if that is something that is possible to do wherever your family is living so there is some documentation that your child has been missing. How old is your child?

Homelonely

Jul 12, 2022
How old is your child?
The protected person just passed eligibility in February 2023 and we were supposed to have received a checklist but we haven't yet.
The boy (young man) is 21years. Undiagnosed as bipolar until he got into substance abuse (canabis) which pushed him over. He's been through rehab and is on meds and we've been managing well. He was in one of his depressive episodes when he left home. He doesn't have friends and no phone so we don't even know where to start looking from.
The situation is really affecting my own mental health balance plus the fear that even when he returns he'll most likely fail the medicals and the effect this may have on the rest of us.
I'm really worried on all sides. If he had just said NO to weed he'd just have remained my hyperactive boy with no complications but the deed is done.

Nyire

Dec 6, 2022
The protected person just passed eligibility in February 2023 and we were supposed to have received a checklist but we haven't yet.
The boy (young man) is 21years. Undiagnosed as bipolar until he got into substance abuse (canabis) which pushed him over. He's been through rehab and is on meds and we've been managing well. He was in one of his depressive episodes when he left home. He doesn't have friends and no phone so we don't even know where to start looking from.
The situation is really affecting my own mental health balance plus the fear that even when he returns he'll most likely fail the medicals and the effect this may have on the rest of us.
I'm really worried on all sides. If he had just said NO to weed he'd just have remained my hyperactive boy with no complications but the deed is done.
How long did it take the protected person to pass eligibility?