+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time line for Permanent Residence application for Refugees

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
Hello everyone.
I opened this topic months ago and now it has more than 11k posts.
More than a year ago I got my PR and then I got busy with the life and didn't check it again.
8 months later I will apply for citizenship.
I hope all of you receive good news soon.
This waiting time is very frustrating especially for thoes who are not familiar with the speedy government of Canada ;)
Covid 19 was a good excuse for them to hide behind and blame it.
Please don't get discouraged with replies of ca.....78 and people like her.
Good luck everyone.
Jalal
@RefugeeHelp1
Hi please I have this question, when one becomes a permanent residence holder how long does it takes before qualifying for Citizenship. And do they compensate us for all this time we have been waiting for PR/refugee. For instance I applied for PR since January 2020 and I haven't gotten any relevant responses, so if I finally get some day how long will it take From that day to the day I will qualify for Citizenship?

LandofLivingSkies

Star Member
Sep 11, 2021
Hi please I have this question, when one becomes a permanent residence holder how long does it takes before qualifying for Citizenship. And do they compensate us for all this time we have been waiting for PR/refugee. For instance I applied for PR since January 2020 and I haven't gotten any relevant responses, so if I finally get some day how long will it take From that day to the day I will qualify for Citizenship?
We can count 365 days maximum (Refugee/Application of PR) + from PR date = 1095 days. Most of the cases after 2 years from the date you become permanent resident.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
We can count 365 days maximum (Refugee/Application of PR) + from PR date = 1095 days. Most of the cases after 2 years from the date you become permanent resident.
Thank you for this. For easy understand, count a day from Notice of Decision, maximum 365days only.... Time while waiting for the hearing doesnt count.

LandofLivingSkies

Star Member
Sep 11, 2021
Thank you for this. For easy understand, count a day from Notice of Decision, maximum 365days only.... Time while waiting for the hearing doesnt count.
Thank you for clarify, wants to clarify another thing, before become PR, those day count as a half-day ( example, receive notice of decision on 30 November 2020 and become PR 30 November 2021, then this 1 year will count as 6 months only) when applying for citizenship. Keep that in mind also please. Thank you.

Dan321

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Hello Everyone,
Hopefully everyone is in good health. I’m new to this. Recently applied for PR (November 12)
When should I expect acknowledgment letter?
If there is mistake in my application do they sent us back right away?
TIA
December 6 email received with temporary application number.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Thank you for clarify, wants to clarify another thing, before become PR, those day count as a half-day ( example, receive notice of decision on 30 November 2020 and become PR 30 November 2021, then this 1 year will count as 6 months only) when applying for citizenship. Keep that in mind also please. Thank you.
Most of us were waiting 2 years after pr application to be finalized. Therefore it will be count as one year to citizenship. In this case 2 years after pr approval you can apply for citizenship.

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
So what your saying is that on my own case that I applied January 2020 and it's almost 2 years without knowing when am getting the PR so if I got it by 2022 I will only wait for like a year and six months and apply for citizenship? That will be cool.

Unknown user

Dec 8, 2021
Hi All,

I have received the below email from IRCC. Can someone help me what is this considered as? is it ecopr? what is the next process?

Your application for permanent residence has been approved. The final step in processing your application is to confirm your permanent residence and create your permanent resident card. You’ll complete this process through the Permanent Resident Portal (PR Confirmation).

In the portal, you’ll confirm that you and your dependants are in Canada, provide your Canadian address and submit your photo to create your permanent resident card. You need to access the portal yourself.

Your representative cannot access the portal on your behalf. If you are a representative and receiving this message on behalf of a client, you must forward the message to your client. Next steps: Reply to this email and confirm the email address you want to use.

As the principal applicant, you’ll act on behalf of your dependants. If you would prefer your dependants to have their own accounts, please indicate so in your reply to this email.  In your reply to this email, copy and paste this template and fill in the information for yourself and for each member of your family. If you are not sure of the exact date(s) of your entries to Canada, you can provide your best estimate.
 Name: 
UCI: 
Email one for the whole family
Original entry date:
Date of last time you entered Canada:
Location where you last entered:
Are you currently inside Canada:
If you are not inside Canada, when is your expected return date:

Appreciate your support!

Last edited:
Reactions: Simba112

Iloma joyce

Dec 9, 2021
Good evening house.
I just wanted to clarify something.
I got an e-portal invitation to upload my passport photo and address for my CoPR. But for my minor dependent I didn’t see where they said I should upload my daughter’s photo passport which is my dependent.
Please I want to be sure.
1. Do I have to wait for my CopR to be uploaded before they will request for my daughter photo passport for her PR card ? Or could there be miss up from IRCC. Anyone can help me please...
It's possibly because she's a minor

Muhammad Sj

Jul 24, 2021
Friends of this forum could anyone please inform me how to send the dependents outside canada documents as he got the checklist.I got two link one is through the cic account and another way by webform.If through cic account does he need to create new account for him or by my acount.As previously one of my friend sent thrugh DHL to the visa office of country of origin.Pls inform me the correct procedure.Will appreciate for your help.

izolomo

Star Member
Sep 13, 2018
Hi everyone. Can someone kindly guide me through... My family's applications were transferred to Pretoria VO after I became a permanent resident in Canada. This month marks the 15th month since then with no communication. Woke up now and saw a message from Pretoria office that my marriage with my spouse was we did in absentia (I was in South Africa while my wife was in Nigeria) is not recognized by Canada unless we provide a proof that both of us were physically present on the day of wedding. What do I do? This marriage is recognized in my country of origin and I provided them with our marriage certificate from the beginning of my application....