+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time frame on when you’re able to move to Canada after PR is accepted

Magnolia888

May 20, 2022
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there was a certain time frame that you had to move to Canada once your PR has been approved? For example, if my PR gets approved via spousal sponsorship in March, am I able to wait until August to move? I am asking because I would like to finish out my work contract if my PR gets approved before my yearly contract renews. So I didn’t know if Canada requires you to move to Canada within a certain timeframe once you’ve been approved.

Thank you!

Magnolia888

May 20, 2022
It's almost always one year after the date of the medical examination.
I don’t think I phrased my question correctly. I am asking once my PR gets approved (not my application) and I am officially a Permanent Resident, how long do I have to move to Canada? Will they take away my PR if I don’t move to Canada within a certain amount of time?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don’t think I phrased my question correctly. I am asking once my PR gets approved (not my application) and I am officially a Permanent Resident, how long do I have to move to Canada? Will they take away my PR if I don’t move to Canada within a certain amount of time?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking either.

1) When you get your COPR and visa but before you 'land', you're not a PR. That entry must usually be done within 12 months of the date of the medical examination.

2) After you're a PR, you can leave. You're subject to the resdiency obligation, under which you should be in Canada 730 days of every five years.