+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time Frame for Moving

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
My permanent residency application was approved within 3 months of applying, this was much faster than the estimated 12 months the CIC website was telling us. We just signed a 12 month lease on a house and I do not think there is a way out of it.

My question is this, now that my Permanent Residency application has been approved, do I have a certain amount of time before I have to move to Canada, or can I ride out the 12 month lease and then make the move?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
My permanent residency application was approved within 3 months of applying, this was much faster than the estimated 12 months the CIC website was telling us. We just signed a 12 month lease on a house and I do not think there is a way out of it.

My question is this, now that my Permanent Residency application has been approved, do I have a certain amount of time before I have to move to Canada, or can I ride out the 12 month lease and then make the move?
Congrats first of all.
My suggestion will be to make a soft landing and return back?

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018

Your COPR will expire within 12 months of the date of your medical or the date of your passport expiry - whichever comes first. So you must land in Canada before then. If you only did your medical recently, then you could wait until the end of 2018 or even early 2019 to land (just before whatever date is on your COPR). As @bimale4bipeople said, you can just do a soft landing and go back. Just remember that from when you land you've started your permanent residency and you must meet the requirements of living in Canada for 2 of 5 years. Once you've landed they will mail your PR card to somewhere in Canada so you will need to sort out someone to collect it and send it to you outside of Canada before you can reenter. See this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-need-guidance-on-pr-card.509515/

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
Your COPR will expire within 12 months of the date of your medical or the date of your passport expiry - whichever comes first. So you must land in Canada before then. If you only did your medical recently, then you could wait until the end of 2018 or even early 2019 to land (just before whatever date is on your COPR). As @bimale4bipeople said, you can just do a soft landing and go back. Just remember that from when you land you've started your permanent residency and you must meet the requirements of living in Canada for 2 of 5 years. Once you've landed they will mail your PR card to somewhere in Canada so you will need to sort out someone to collect it and send it to you outside of Canada before you can reenter. See this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-need-guidance-on-pr-card.509515/

Thank you for the detailed response, i looked at that thread. So just to clarify, when i go i could give my wife's grandparents address and they could send it there, then they could mail the paperwork to me. What do i do once we permanently move there and we have a different address?

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
Thank you for the detailed response, i looked at that thread. So just to clarify, when i go i could give my wife's grandparents address and they could send it there, then they could mail the paperwork to me. What do i do once we permanently move there and we have a different address?
Yes, get your wife's grandparents to send it you. I don't think you have to update them anymore about your address once you've gotten the PR card but I'm not quite sure.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Not an expert but I read this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/change-of-address-required-after-pr-card-received.11105/

PR card specimen: https://www.immigrationdirect.ca/pr-card-renewal.jsp