+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time for a work Permit and Extension of Work Permit

sahmed

Jan 14, 2010
Im thinking of coming in to Canada for a one year MBA from Queens University.I was now wondering, how long does it take after completing my degree that I get my work permit i.e. if i complete my degree in June 2010 when is the earliest that I can apply for a postgraduate work permit and when should I have it realistically.Moreover my being from Pakistan,will that have an impact.

Secondly, when can I apply for CEC,can I apply as soon as I have the job that matches with a job on NOC O,A,B or do I have to wait for 2 years of exp before I can do so.

Lastly how difficult is for a work permit to be extended once your on a job as after one year Ill have to have it extended right. Separate answers for separate questions would really help.Looking forward to all your responses.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sahmed said:
Im thinking of coming in to Canada for a one year MBA from Queens University.I was now wondering, how long does it take after completing my degree that I get my work permit i.e. if i complete my degree in June 2010 when is the earliest that I can apply for a postgraduate work permit and when should I have it realistically.

Post-grad work permit
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/study/work-postgrad.asp

Your post-grad work permit cannot be longer than the program - so it could not be longer than 1 year.

Secondly, when can I apply for CEC,can I apply as soon as I have the job that matches with a job on NOC O,A,B or do I have to wait for 2 years of exp before I can do so.

Canadian Experience Class
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/immigrate/cec/index.asp

There are 2 streams - postgraduate stream, and foreign worker stream. You would not qualify under the postgraduate stream because you need 2 years of education within Canada.

For the foreign worker stream, you would need 2 years of full-time work skilled work experience (NOC O,A, B)

If you DID get a full-time permanent job offer, then the Federal Skilled Workers class might be a better option than Canadian Experience Class for you, because you would not have to wait for 2 years.