+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
CanadianInUK said:
COPR arrived in the mail yesterday - we picked up from the post office today :)

It was sent registered from London to our address here in Canada - they sent it to me the sponsor though which I thought was odd!

Also the letter inside was assuming we were still outland, so doesn't totally apply.

We plan to flag pole but I want to make some calls tomorrow to see if we can see immigration in the Vancouver Airport...even though we are already in Canada....has anyone heard if this has been done? We know they can do it there...it's just that usually you are arriving on a flight from the USA.

Anyone who has flag poled in BC with advice?

Thanks! Will let you know how it goes!!!!
Spreadsheet updated, congrats! Not sure what you mean by "assuming we were still outland" - you can be an outland applicant and be in Canada.

All the best with your landing!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CanadianInUK said:
Also the letter inside was assuming we were still outland, so doesn't totally apply.

We plan to flag pole but I want to make some calls tomorrow to see if we can see immigration in the Vancouver Airport...even though we are already in Canada....has anyone heard if this has been done? We know they can do it there...it's just that usually you are arriving on a flight from the USA.

Anyone who has flag poled in BC with advice?
Your app is still outland, even if you are in Canada.

You cannot land at an airport unless you are arriving from an international flight.

Your options are to flagpole at the land border, fly somewhere outside of Canada and return or schedule an appointment at a CIC office in Canada.

danniejean

Aug 19, 2014
Bristol, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Hello!

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help. My partner and I are looking into buying flights to Canada soon to return early July. We are cautiously hopeful that PR will be approved before then as some applications in the Ottawa office just before ours have been approved. If it is not approved by then my partner will enter Canada under dual intent.

Looking at the spreadsheet it seems to take 2 or 3 weeks (sometimes more) to get COPR in the post for Ottawa applications. I'm getting worried about what might happen if COPR is issued close to our flights and we don't receive it before we leave.

I just wanted to ask if we leave the UK and COPR goes to our UK address can we have it reissued to Canada? We don't have anyone here in the UK who could pick it up for us and forward it (not even sure if this is allowed). I've had a look at the FAQs and can see that you can contact them if there is information wrong on COPR, but I'm not sure what the status is on simply reissuing it if it isn't lost or wrongly printed.

Thanks for your help!

d_j_heckford

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
Doc's Request.
13-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt Decision Made: 26-11-15
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
danniejean said:
Hello!

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help. My partner and I are looking into buying flights to Canada soon to return early July. We are cautiously hopeful that PR will be approved before then as some applications in the Ottawa office just before ours have been approved. If it is not approved by then my partner will enter Canada under dual intent.

Looking at the spreadsheet it seems to take 2 or 3 weeks (sometimes more) to get COPR in the post for Ottawa applications. I'm getting worried about what might happen if COPR is issued close to our flights and we don't receive it before we leave.

I just wanted to ask if we leave the UK and COPR goes to our UK address can we have it reissued to Canada? We don't have anyone here in the UK who could pick it up for us and forward it (not even sure if this is allowed). I've had a look at the FAQs and can see that you can contact them if there is information wrong on COPR, but I'm not sure what the status is on simply reissuing it if it isn't lost or wrongly printed.

Thanks for your help!
If this were me, the smartest thing to do in this situation is just to sit and wait to get acknowledgement that you even get your visa granted first. You can't assume you are going to get one, nothing is ever a guarantee. Don't plan ahead of things until you hear your situation has been finalized. They could easily query something that would set your application back.

mec14

Star Member
Apr 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2014
Med's Done....
11-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 16-06-2015, COPR arrived 25-06-2015
LANDED..........
27-06-2015
d_j_heckford said:
If this were me, the smartest thing to do in this situation is just to sit and wait to get acknowledgement that you even get your visa granted first. You can't assume you are going to get one, nothing is ever a guarantee. Don't plan ahead of things until you hear your situation has been finalized. They could easily query something that would set your application back.
That's not such bad advice... Applications around me were approved in November, yet here I am still waiting 6 months later. No issues, queries, just luck of the draw.

I hope this doesn't happen to you, but you never know so be cautious!

danniejean

Aug 19, 2014
Bristol, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
d_j_heckford said:
mec14 said:
That's not such bad advice... Applications around me were approved in November, yet here I am still waiting 6 months later. No issues, queries, just luck of the draw.

I hope this doesn't happen to you, but you never know so be cautious!
Thanks, good advice!

But.. I'm not sure you understood my question/situation fully. We are planning on going to Canada regardless mid July. My partner will enter with dual intent (as a visitor) and if he is not approved he will go home to Australia (on the fully refundable ticket we will purchase before going to Canada). We can no longer wait in the UK as my student visa and his work visa expire (he is Australian).

I'm just a planner/worrier and my specific question was simply in the event that COPR gets issued before we leave the UK, but we don't receive it in time, can we have it reissued to our new address is Canada? (I know that there is no guarantee and the spreadsheet is just a guide and doesn't mean that we will get a decision soon, I'm just planning ahead for all possible situations)

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Hi guys, I received my SA email.

My wife's application has been transferred to New Delhi Visa office, India. As she is a Nepalese citizen living in London, UK. they decided to transfer the case to NDVO but not London.

Though it is quite early, but I am bit curious about one thing. Incase, they ask from an interview how does that work? does she has to travel to all the way to India or they will arrange where she will be living then, i.e., London (she will be there for next 1.5 yrs more).

Apr 14, 2015
danniejean said:
Thanks, good advice!

But.. I'm not sure you understood my question/situation fully. We are planning on going to Canada regardless mid July. My partner will enter with dual intent (as a visitor) and if he is not approved he will go home to Australia (on the fully refundable ticket we will purchase before going to Canada). We can no longer wait in the UK as my student visa and his work visa expire (he is Australian).

I'm just a planner/worrier and my specific question was simply in the event that COPR gets issued before we leave the UK, but we don't receive it in time, can we have it reissued to our new address is Canada? (I know that there is no guarantee and the spreadsheet is just a guide and doesn't mean that we will get a decision soon, I'm just planning ahead for all possible situations)

Would a mail redirection overseas be an option for you ?

Brit-in-Alberta

Star Member
May 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2015
Med's Done....
18-11-2014
Hello,

I'm British and I have been in Canada since July 2013. I live with my Canadian boyfriend and we have now been common law for 8 months. We are sending are outland application this weekend. It took a while because we were waiting on police certificates. Ideally we would have liked to have applied months ago.

My IEC visa runs out next month and so I need to apply for an extension to change to visitor status. I need to apply before June 2nd as this is 30 days before my visa runs out. I am currently filling out the application and have a few questions.

First of all can someone who has been through the process confirm that the form on my check list is correct. 'Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a visitor or temporary resident permit holder IMM5708'

I have read the info about Dual intent but I have some queries regarding some of the questions. It asks my reason for entry the first time I entered Canada. This was to be with my long distance boyfriend... so do I say this or should I just say that I entered on an IEC to work and travel?

When it comes to the reason why I want to stay. How much info do I give? I have a mock up of my letter of explanation done. I basically wrote that I would like to stay in Canada with my boyfriend whilst we await the decision on our Application. Should I mention that I would like to stay here as it is an outland application and I do not want to break common law as it could cause delays? I will mention that I know that I can not work and I my work contract ends on July 1st as this is the last legal day that I can work. I will also include that I have the means and am willing to buy a ticket to return to the uk if my visitor visa is denied or my Pr is refused. Do I need to say anymore?

I will include the proof that we have paid the Fees and by the time I submit the extension next weekend the application should have been received by CIC and I will include the proof of delivery.

Do I need to show ties to England? I don't really have any anymore. I have no property in England and I gave my up lease when I moved nearly 2 years ago. I do still have UK student Loans and two uk bank accounts but I have hardly used them since I moved apart from to make payments on a student overdraft.

Do I need to purchase a return flight to the UK even though I am applying inside Canada?

If any kind soul would share a basic version of the explanation letter that they have send. Especially someone who has been granted multiple extensions then I would greatly appreciate it.

I just want to make sure that I don't give them information that is unnecessary and accidently dig myself a hole that could lead to it being denied.

Do you think that not having Sponsor approval could cause it to be denied? That should come in July but obviously I need to apply for the extension way before then.

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Whoa, a flurry of posts and questions. Here we go.

danniejean said:
Thanks, good advice!

Cambridge_Quebec said:
Would a mail redirection overseas be an option for you ?
I'm not certain if international redirection can be applied to registered/tracked packages. OP, if you know what your address is going to be in Canada, I'd suggest changing it now. Otherwise, is there literally NO ONE in the UK who you can forward your mail to who could send you your COPR? Worst case, yes, you should be able to have it reissued - there is an element of "sh*t happens" with some applications - COPR gets lost, needs to be reissued, whatever, so you probably can have it reissued, but it's going to cause delays and be rather a faff.

PhdStream said:
Hi guys, I received my SA email.

My wife's application has been transferred to New Delhi Visa office, India. As she is a Nepalese citizen living in London, UK. they decided to transfer the case to NDVO but not London.

Though it is quite early, but I am bit curious about one thing. Incase, they ask from an interview how does that work? does she has to travel to all the way to India or they will arrange where she will be living then, i.e., London (she will be there for next 1.5 yrs more).
If she is called for an interview then it's possible it will be in ND, you could always request it in London but CIC might say "too bad". You'll need to be prepared for the possibility that she'll need to go to ND for the interview. SUcks that they didn't keep her app in London, but they are known to make the decision based either on residency or on nationality. Best of luck.

Brit-in-Alberta, I'm going to answer your question in chunks. :)

Brit-in-Alberta said:
Hello,

I'm British and I have been in Canada since July 2013. I live with my Canadian boyfriend and we have now been common law for 8 months. We are sending are outland application this weekend. It took a while because we were waiting on police certificates. Ideally we would have liked to have applied months ago.
I assume this means you have been living together for 1 year and 8 months, not just 8 months! Going on that assumption...

My IEC visa runs out next month and so I need to apply for an extension to change to visitor status. I need to apply before June 2nd as this is 30 days before my visa runs out. I am currently filling out the application and have a few questions.
You just have to apply before the last day of your IEC visa, not 30 days before - 30 days is just the recommended time as it means you'll in all likelihood have a decision before your IEC expires. So don't stress if you are a few days past June 2nd, as long as CIC receives your app before your IEC expires, you're good.

First of all can someone who has been through the process confirm that the form on my check list is correct. 'Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a visitor or temporary resident permit holder IMM5708'
I believe that is the correct title, yes.

I have read the info about Dual intent but I have some queries regarding some of the questions. It asks my reason for entry the first time I entered Canada. This was to be with my long distance boyfriend... so do I say this or should I just say that I entered on an IEC to work and travel?
Just write both. You had a boyfriend in Canada so you applied for an IEC visa. You entered using that visa.

When it comes to the reason why I want to stay. How much info do I give? I have a mock up of my letter of explanation done. I basically wrote that I would like to stay in Canada with my boyfriend whilst we await the decision on our Application. Should I mention that I would like to stay here as it is an outland application and I do not want to break common law as it could cause delays? I will mention that I know that I can not work and I my work contract ends on July 1st as this is the last legal day that I can work. I will also include that I have the means and am willing to buy a ticket to return to the uk if my visitor visa is denied or my Pr is refused. Do I need to say anymore?

I will include the proof that we have paid the Fees and by the time I submit the extension next weekend the application should have been received by CIC and I will include the proof of delivery.
All sounds sensible to me, and is usually what we suggest when people are applying. You are unlikely to have any issues with a PR app in process.

Do I need to show ties to England? I don't really have any anymore. I have no property in England and I gave my up lease when I moved nearly 2 years ago. I do still have UK student Loans and two uk bank accounts but I have hardly used them since I moved apart from to make payments on a student overdraft.
I wouldn't worry about this. It's expected you wouldn't have that many ties back to the UK if you've been in Canada for 2 years already. What you are planning on writing further up should be enough.

Do I need to purchase a return flight to the UK even though I am applying inside Canada?
Not certain on this one, but I'd not - it's not expected you'd have one booked as you've been in Canada legally for 2 years, and you've explained that you know you have to leave if you aren't successful. JMO on this one, though, someone else will step in if they think I'm wrong.

Do you think that not having Sponsor approval could cause it to be denied? That should come in July but obviously I need to apply for the extension way before then.
Unlikely, just submit the proof you do have - pay the fees in full ($1040) and include proof, include proof you've had your medical and paid for stuff like police certificates, and include proof of delivery, and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

CanadianInUK

Star Member
Feb 6, 2014
BC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
File Transfer...
21-08-2014
Med's Done....
12-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20/05/2015
LANDED..........
24/05/2015
andrew-brit said:
Spreadsheet updated, congrats! Not sure what you mean by "assuming we were still outland" - you can be an outland applicant and be in Canada.

All the best with your landing!

Thanks! I guess I meant that as we are now in Canada, where they sent the COPR - their standard outland applicant letter is all about arriving in Canada and crossing the border, nothing about what to do if you are here already. Just wondered what their official suggestion would be.

CanadianInUK

Star Member
Feb 6, 2014
BC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
File Transfer...
21-08-2014
Med's Done....
12-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20/05/2015
LANDED..........
24/05/2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Your app is still outland, even if you are in Canada.

You cannot land at an airport unless you are arriving from an international flight.

Your options are to flagpole at the land border, fly somewhere outside of Canada and return or schedule an appointment at a CIC office in Canada.

Thank you! Guess we knew if it seemed to good to be true, it would be :) My hubby wants to use this as an excuse to have to go to Mexico lol. Will let you know what we end up doing and how it goes!

Krrrsta

Jan 23, 2015
SchnookoLoly said:
Even if Mississauga holds your application, June is incredibly optimistic to have everything finished. However there's nothing to stop you from moving back to Canada and for the non-Canadian to wait in Canada as a visitor.

There's a section n "Dual Intent" in the BRitishExpats wiki for spousal sponsorship, which tells you how to do the above; contact info for CIC is in the FAQ in my signature.

All added in! Let us know when you get COPR through as well!

Added! :)
We ended up getting AOR on the 28th ☺
Our application has been sent to Vienna as my partner is Hungarian, my lawyer has sent a email out to request it be sent to London but I doubt that will help.
I am moving to Canada with my daughter in June, my partner is staying til September in the UK and then will join us as a visitor until his visa comes in.
Thanks all for your help

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
SchnookoLoly said:
If she is called for an interview then it's possible it will be in ND, you could always request it in London but CIC might say "too bad". You'll need to be prepared for the possibility that she'll need to go to ND for the interview. SUcks that they didn't keep her app in London, but they are known to make the decision based either on residency or on nationality. Best of luck.

Good luck!

Thanks ... lets see and wait

Yomaben

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
London Uk
Visa Office......
London Uk
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02.02.14, resubmitted 17.06.14
AOR Received.
SA/ Approval 08.08.2014
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
26-03-14, re medical submitted 28-10-15
Interview........
21-05-15
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 17.11.15
LANDED..........
TBC
The interview letter was dated 22/04.
The interview lasted about 40 mins, questions about the relationship were asked. The lady went through my application thoroughly. Eventually she said she was satisfied with my answers :) however i will require an updated police clearance.