+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

Nocsy

Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
File Transfer...
23-05-2013
Med's Request
20-08-2013
ghunter said:
Hi Nocsy, where are you living?

For people living in Canada, how long did it take to get your COPR?
Hi, I'm in Cambridge, UK so you would think post would not be a problem.

It's a shame we do not track the time between Decision made and getting COPR on the spreadsheet. By going through the past 3 months of the forum (yes I am that bored waiting!) I can see two people took 7 days, 1 person 8 and 1 person 9 - not sure which country they were in. 8 people have not posted again since declaring Decision made which is a shame

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Nocsy said:

It's a shame we do not track the time between Decision made and getting COPR on the spreadsheet. By going through the past 3 months of the forum (yes I am that bored waiting!) I can see two people took 7 days, 1 person 8 and 1 person 9 - not sure which country they were in. 8 people have not posted again since declaring Decision made which is a shame
The "Real Trick™" is getting one that's correct... Sigh.

Sep 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-12-2012
File Transfer...
18-01-2013
Med's Done....
13-12-2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
16-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-10-2013
zardoz said:
As you are not a British citizen, she cannot apply for citizenship and then leave the UK. Part of the application process requires that she make a formal declaration of her intent to remain in the UK.

(Just for completeness, the legislation is here... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/schedule/1?view=plain )

Committing citizenship fraud is likely to show up when CIC do background and security checks with the UK.
Zardoz is right. And just to compound that, CIC would most likely default to a negative decision if she has applied for Citizenship elsewhere based on the aforementioned intention to reside in the UK. You could be left in a mess and no-one here wants to see that.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
itsgonnahappen said:
Zardoz is right. And just to compound that, CIC would most likely default to a negative decision if she has applied for Citizenship elsewhere based on the aforementioned intention to reside in the UK. You could be left in a mess and no-one here wants to see that.
Just for some light bed-time reading... http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/nationalityinstructions/nichapter18/ch18annexf?view=Binary

However, I am of the suspicion at the moment, that the OP on this subject intends to go ahead anyway... Caveat Emptor.

From the application form "AN"...

Section 6: Declaration by applicant
WARNING: To give false information on this form knowingly or recklessly is a criminal offence punishable with up to 3
months' imprisonment or by a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both.
(Section 46(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981, as amended).

markstimson

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
File Transfer...
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-10-2013
ghunter said:
Hi Nocsy, where are you living?

For people living in Canada, how long did it take to get your COPR?
Mine was less than 1 week! I had a DM on ECAS showing as Oct 2nd, and it was delivered in Canada at my GF's parents on Tuesday 8th. The post mark from London was Oct 1st so clearly they made the decision earlier than the 2nd but ECAS doesn't update in real time.

The actual wait for the COPR to arrive after I knew I had a DM was by far and away the most stressful and tense period for me! I'm a no patience, "need it yesterday" guy so that didn't help :0

ghunter

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
File Transfer...
16-05-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-10-2013; re-issued 16-12-2013
LANDED..........
08-01-2014
Nocsy said:

Ok thanks! I am hoping for it sooner rather than later (and hoping the same for you!).

markstimson said:
Mine was less than 1 week! I had a DM on ECAS showing as Oct 2nd, and it was delivered in Canada at my GF's parents on Tuesday 8th. The post mark from London was Oct 1st so clearly they made the decision earlier than the 2nd but ECAS doesn't update in real time.

The actual wait for the COPR to arrive after I knew I had a DM was by far and away the most stressful and tense period for me! I'm a no patience, "need it yesterday" guy so that didn't help :0
I get what you mean about this bit of waiting being even more stressful!

Heppster

Star Member
Sep 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
26-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-07-2013
zardoz said:
Just for some light bed-time reading... http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/nationalityinstructions/nichapter18/ch18annexf?view=Binary

However, I am of the suspicion at the moment, that the OP on this subject intends to go ahead anyway... Caveat Emptor.

From the application form "AN"...
Thanks for your replies, I have taken a look at the Application form and the link you first sent regarding this (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/schedule/1?view=plain). There may be a way that we can still apply for it, and not be breaking any laws in doing so. My Wife owns a Company that is registered in the United Kingdom, and she fully intends to keep the Company here in the United Kingdom, and she will still be Employed by the company. With that, there may be a way,

First, The British Nationality Act states, (the parts pertaining to this question) ,
Naturalisation as a British citizen under section 6(1)

"(d)that either

(i)his intentions are such that, in the event of a certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen being granted to him, his home or (if he has more than one) his principal home will be in the United Kingdom; or

(ii)he intends, in the event of such a certificate being granted to him, to enter into, or continue in, Crown service under the government of the United Kingdom, or service under an international organisation of which the United Kingdom or Her Majesty's government therein is a member, or service in the employment of a company or association established in the United Kingdom."
Secondly the Citizenship application asks,
"Please tell us in which country you intend to have your main home if you are naturalised. If this country is outside the United Kingdom and i) you are not married to or the civil partner of a British citizen and ii) you intend to enter into or continue Crown service, service in an international organisation or employment with a company or association established in the United Kingdom, please include a letter of explanation."
There would not be any false or misleading information here whatsoever. She would Put that here intention is to have her main home in Canada, and would write a letter explaining our case. In this way, I do believe it is possible, and that there would be no Laws broken or fraud.
Am I understanding this Correctly?

My next question is, if she were Granted Citizenship in the UK, would she need to notify CIC of the change of Status from Permanent Resident to Citizen, or not?

Thanks for your help you guys!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It's worth a try, but don't be surprised if they reject it out of hand.

We have been through this process recently, so have had some experience of it and did a lot of research, specifically because we are leaving the UK. Unlike your situation, we applied under 6(2), which does allow you to leave the UK.

CIC will not care unless either misrepresentation or fraud is committed.
The UKBA will not care about an application for PR to CIC under the same conditions.

I should also mention that there WILL be a personal, in depth interview before a UK passport is approved.

Heppster

Star Member
Sep 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
26-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-07-2013
zardoz said:
It's worth a try, but don't be surprised if they reject it out of hand.

We have been through this process recently, so have had some experience of it and did a lot of research, specifically because we are leaving the UK. Unlike your situation, we applied under 6(2), which does allow you to leave the UK.

CIC will not care unless either misrepresentation or fraud is committed.
The UKBA will not care about an application for PR to CIC under the same conditions.

I should also mention that there WILL be a personal, in depth interview before a UK passport is approved.
Thank you for all your help Zardoz! It truly is helpful!

After a long discussion with my Wife, we have decided that the best thing for us is to wait until she has the Canadian Permanent Resident Status before applying for the British Citizenship, because we do not want to risk losing both. At least this way, we will still have the Canadian PR to fall back on should the UK deny Citizenship. Because we do not intend to misrepresent our situation to the UKBA our situation will not change regarding the application if we applied before or after the Decision Made for the Canadian Permanent Resident application, so applying after may be the safest option for us.

You said that there will be a personal, in depth interview before a UK passport is approved. Are you referring to Citizenship, prior to the Citizenship Ceremony, or when she would apply for a British Passport after gaining Citizenship?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If she uses the "Nationality Checking Service" there is an interview before submitting the citizenship application. This is done by the designated authority for the area, often a Register Office.

There is a brief confirmation interview before the Oath. This is done by the local authority.

Finally, there is another interview after applying for the passport. This is actually done by UKBA.

canuknz

Jul 8, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2013
Med's Done....
26-11-2013
Hi,
I hope I've found the right place to post my questions. We're just looking for some help on the best way to proceed to get us both to Canada in the quickest, cheapest, legal way.

I'm Canadian, my husband is British and we live in NZ (no kids). I now also have NZ citizenship and my husband has had his NZ citizenship approved, but is just waiting for his ceremony to get his certificate and passport. In looking at the quick time-frames from London, I'm thinking we should submit our PR application through London ASAP. He is also eligible for a IEC (working holiday) visa through NZ (when he gets his passport). The NZ IEC quota has not yet been reached for this year.

I'm hoping to get a job soon and then move over. I don't have a job in NZ, and my prospects look a lot better in Canada. He will likely come after me, but potentially before his PR or IEC, so just as a visitor (maybe with a open ticket to London in case we have to go for an interview). I'd like to be making some money before he comes over so we can afford to have him not working while he waits for his PR.

Do you think we should submit his PR application outland through London now? I'm just worried about permanent/temporary intent. To be honest, our intent is to go to Canada, but keep our house and citizenship in NZ so that we can come back. We may stay in Canada permanently, but I suspect we'll be back in NZ at some point (if we get sick of the snow).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ralphstars

May 9, 2012
Heppster said:
I am in disbelief with how fast processing has been lately. I am not sure what is that has made those August applicants to get their DM so quickly. Not going to lie, I am envious of them. They say that applications are processed in the order they are received. Should we be believing that or not? If it were the case, that means that most applications would be sitting on some immigration officers desk "in process". Anyways, that's my rant for now.
I am a newbie and also an August applicant watching members with the same application dates get DMs - obviously giving me false hope that I will be next ;D
Having spoken to Sweden they are likely clear cut simple and straightforward applications - with no non-accompanying and accompanying children included in the application - unlike mine ! I am waiting for ecas to change from ' application received ' to ' in process' even though London has acknowledged receipt of our medicals and receipt of additional information from aged 18 ( a total of 30 years ! Ha ha ! ) - we have also been asked to pay the RPRF so I know someone is looking at our file - I am sure I will not be next but it does look like London is on a mission ! :D

rhoboat

Oct 19, 2013
I wish we hadn't everything paid up-front with the application.

Our status hasn't changed from 'application received' since we got the sponsorship approved in May. So no perceived progress at all. :(

MCARTER82

Star Member
Jul 19, 2013
London, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 8 2013
AOR Received.
July 26 2013
File Transfer...
August 7 2013
Med's Done....
June 7 2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 20 2014
LANDED..........
February 10 2014
rhoboat said:
I wish we hadn't everything paid up-front with the application.

Our status hasn't changed from 'application received' since we got the sponsorship approved in May. So no perceived progress at all. :(
Same here. They say paying it at the beginning speeds the processing time up, but I'm beginning to believe this is a myth too. There isn't much rhyme or reason in anything they do.......

Oct 24, 2013
Hi There

I got decision made does is this a good thing, I did get requested by the VO to submit some extra info on the IM5669 which I did in July and to renew my Police Certificate (request came Oct 2nd) which I did also. The application as been in since Jan 28th 2013 dare I believe that we are near the journeys end?

cheers