+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Morrison2266 said:
Thanks for such a quick response Canuck :)I've spent the last week trying to figure everything out until I got here. We plan on gettin all the sponsor forms sent away at the end of the month once she receive her passport.

My other question is, my partners uncle has said there may be a job available on arrival. Would I be able to start working without the PR being finalised or do I need to wait to start a job?

Also, does anyone know what documents my partner needs to fill in to go back to canada. I believe she needs something called a PR travel document then she has to apply for her citizen card once landed?
you can't work until you have your PR< unless the uncle is willing to go through an LMO - which is expensive and hard to get, so i guess not.
Make sure you send the complete application (both sponsor and sponsored person forms altogether) otherwise it will be sent back.
If your partner is a canadian citizen, she should get her passport from the Canadian Embassy, and then she doesn't need anything else.
PR travel documents are for PRs that are not visa-exempt, and need a paper to prove that they are PR before they get the PR card.

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
michty6 said:
If I were you first thing I would do is email London right now and explain your situation to them. Then see what their response is and take it from there. If their response is 'we understand and have posted your visa out today' then excellent.

The thing is if you've gone to DM on ECAS the chances are your COPR is already in the mail on the way to you. That's how it works for most people since ECAS updates so irregularly - my ECAS updated 2 days after CIC told me they'd already mailed it...
Sounds like a wise plan.

...How do I e-mail them? Is that via a CSE? Probably a stupid question I should know the answer to, I know!

Thanks to everyone who's offered their congratulations! I feel a little bad there are people before me in the queue who are still waiting :(

Binga

Mar 19, 2012
canuck_in_uk said:
Apologies! I'd not heard of them asking someone to arrange for their own interpreter. I suppose that it isn't a very common occurrence to need an interpreter for applications outside Canada, as most people have their interviews in their own country. I'm surprised as well that they didn't give you a list of acceptable professionals to use, like they do with the panel physicians. Hopefully Sweden (the champion member, not the country :)) will be able to help you out. If not, there might be other people on these forums who have needed an interpreter in Sweden, and there are a few others who are from or have lived in Sweden, so someone should be able to help!
Thanks for your advices!! this forum is the only way for everyone to release our frustrations and our happiness! only ppl who can actually understand us! I am happy each time I see someone success with their applications!

Sweden said:
A few questions for you: when is your interview? where is it? (Stockholm I presume, but just to check), and which interpreter are they asking for? english arabic or swedish arabic?

Let me know,
Sweden.
Sweden ! Oh you would not believe how happy I am to heard from you!! Thanks for your help. So the interview is on april 17 2013 at 13:30 in Stockholm. My wife is Arabic speaker. so she would need someone who can speak Arabic and English. Thank you so much ! I also sent an Email to the Embassy saying that we need help as well. I will definitely update you ! thanks 1000000 times!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Binga said:
Thanks for your advices!! this forum is the only way for everyone to release our frustrations and our happiness! only ppl who can actually understand us! I am happy each time I see someone success with their applications!
Sweden ! Oh you would not believe how happy I am to heard from you!! Thanks for your help. So the interview is on april 17 2013 at 13:30 in Stockholm. My wife is Arabic speaker. so she would need someone who can speak Arabic and English. Thank you so much ! I also sent an Email to the Embassy saying that we need help as well. I will definitely update you ! thanks 1000000 times!
Thanks for the information. I'll enquire with a few people I know, and I'll come back as soon as I have more information.
I know some arabic/swedish certified translators in Stockholm, did the embassy give you the possibility to have swedish/arabic, or only english/arabic? what about french/arabic (I also know a certified translator french arabic - he understand english as well but he is not certified yet for english, but he is for french - so if the Canadian Embassy gave you also the possibility for French/Arabic that would be an option).

Binga

Mar 19, 2012
Sweden said:
I know some arabic/swedish certified translators in Stockholm, did the embassy give you the possibility to have swedish/arabic, or only english/arabic? what about french/arabic (I also know a certified translator french arabic - he understand english as well but he is not certified yet for english, but he is for french - so if the Canadian Embassy gave you also the possibility for French/Arabic that would be an option).
Yea they gave us the option of Swedish/ Arabic. so The choices we have is either Arabic/English or Swedish/Arabic. I just talked with them (Canada immigration in Stockholm) and they said they would not even help us find anyone. Good news is that the interview will last about 30 min to a max of 1 hour. So that wouldn't be expensive. Thanks so Much Sweden!

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
Just dropped husband off at airport back to canada after two weeks here. Back to being on my own checking this and ecas everyday

Uk2Can

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
uk
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/08/2012
File Transfer...
19/10/2012
Med's Done....
15/04/2012
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
scottishmaple said:
Just dropped husband off at airport back to canada after two weeks here. Back to being on my own checking this and ecas everyday
Any move on your application yet? How was your two weeks? Do anything special :)

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
Uk2Can said:
Any move on your application yet? How was your two weeks? Do anything special :)
NO!

Two weeks was good. I had to work the majority of time but we just chilled. Wen't to St Andrews on Sunday brrrrrrrr. Saw GI Joe at cinema. On our anniversary we went to see Pete Firman (comedian/magician). Hubby got to spend some one on one time with the little one. and we ate alot of takeaway...lol

mario12345

Mar 16, 2013
michty6 said:
For anyone moving here, Red Flag Forums (a forum attached to the reg flag deals site) is a great forum not just to find amazing deals in Canada but for information - the 'Personal Finances' section is excellent on everything from CPP to Mortgages to taxes to line of credits.

Also if anyone needs to transfer money to the UK from Canada or vice versa shoot me a PM and I can give you some good info on this.
hi. so how u do it?thanks

michty6

Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
AOR Received.
'In Progress' at London from 10/12/2012
File Transfer...
15-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made 28/3/2013. GCMS notes show London forgot about my file until I emailed them in February...
Korma said:
Sounds like a wise plan.

...How do I e-mail them? Is that via a CSE? Probably a stupid question I should know the answer to, I know!

Thanks to everyone who's offered their congratulations! I feel a little bad there are people before me in the queue who are still waiting :(
Yup CSE unless you already have any emailed responses from them for any previous enquiries (that is an email chain with your File Number in the subject line) in which case you can just reply to the email.

mario12345 said:
hi. so how u do it?thanks
Quite a few people have PM'd me so I'll put some information up here:

Ok the best way to send small amounts is Paypal. You set up a Paypal account (or may already have one) linked to your UK bank account and another separate Paypal account linked to your Canadian bank account. You simply then send money from one account to the other. This is by far the cheapest way to send money (fees are tiny like 0.1% - usually only a couple of dollars) and the FX rate will probably still be better than a bank. Even better you can literally have the money transferred in like 10 minutes if going Canada -> UK. If going UK -> Canada it's a bit slower (couple of days) because Canadian banks are SLOW! When you transfer from Canada to the UK the money is in your UK account instantly and it actually takes them a few days before it comes out of your Canadian account - so for 3 days you have double the money ;)! The Paypal rate is usually around the current spot rate plus or minus 0.04. So if the rate is 1.54 (as it is just now) you'll get around 1.58 going from Canada to the UK and around 1.50 going from the UK to Canada. Banks often have a much worse rate than this believe it or not. And then larger fees too on top of this!

For larger amounts your best option is to use a currency exchange company. They can get you as close to the spot rate as possible, usually within 0.02. The reason is that they basically have UK and Canadian bank accounts so if you were transferring Canada to UK you'd send it to their Canadian bank account and they send you the pounds from their UK bank account - they don't actually exchange the money at the transaction date, which is why they can offer better rates. They then store the money and exchange it when market conditions are at their most favourable. I used a company called Foreign Currency Solutions based in Glasgow - I was recommended them by a financial advisor in Scotland. A larger well known one is Oanda. If you have the time I'd pick out a few companies and ask them for their Canadian to UK (or vice versa) exchange rate. They will usually respond within 24 hours and then you can see which company is offering the best rate and go with them. The first time you use one you will have to send in a bunch of identification documents and stuff - this is standard practice due to money laundering regulations. So it will take a little bit longer to do the transfer first time.

I haven't done any calculations and this is completely an estimate. But I'd say if transferring more than $3,000 (CAD) going with a currency exchange company is best. Less than this Paypal. This is because a 0.02 spot rate saving on $3,000 = $60. But there are usually more fees in going this way - however $60 is probably enough to cover them, so I'd guess this is close to the break-even point. At $4,000 you're saving $80 (again, assuming you can get a 0.02 better rate), $5,000 you save $100 etc. These savings should more than cover the additional fees.

baruderu

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
That's helpful information Michty. I've had good rates and customer service with Smart Currency Exchange as well.

michty6

Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made 28/3/2013. GCMS notes show London forgot about my file until I emailed them in February...
Uhm the CAD to UK rate just jumped to 1.56 out of nowhere today. Good time to send pounds across - bad time to send dollars back over!

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
michty6 said:
Uhm the CAD to UK rate just jumped to 1.56 out of nowhere today. Good time to send pounds across - bad time to send dollars back over!
I remember the golden age of getting 2 bucks for a pound. Good times.

michty6

Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Yeh in 2004 you could get 2.5 to 1. However, as someone who now lives in Canada and gets paid in Canadian dollars I am happy to see the Canadian dollar flourish against the pound - in fact I think it should move to 1:1 ;D

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Binga said:
Yea they gave us the option of Swedish/ Arabic. so The choices we have is either Arabic/English or Swedish/Arabic. I just talked with them (Canada immigration in Stockholm) and they said they would not even help us find anyone. Good news is that the interview will last about 30 min to a max of 1 hour. So that wouldn't be expensive. Thanks so Much Sweden!
I have sent you a private message, please check your inbox.