+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

specialdiablo

Jul 10, 2012
DGT said:
For a nice family environment i'd recommend the Bloor West Village (Bloor Street West @ Runnymede). It's a nice environment, lots of nice places to eat but not a wild party place, and it's on the subway line. The East End is nice for family life too around The Beaches and Leslieville. I think the beaches is pretty pricy, but it's beautiful and on the Queen Streetcar you can get downtown nice and fast. Those are my thoughts!
Having grown up in Bloor West and spent the last 10 years in Riverdale/Leslieville I can say both are lovely, safe and very child friendly (dog too)! both areas are more expensive to purchase homes but rent is not outrageous.

I have a question about the B4 form. My husband moved here two years ago before we started this process. He only brought his clothes and camera gear (he is a photographer- so there is a lot of it). Should we list that stuff on the B4?

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
specialdiablo said:
Having grown up in Bloor West and spent the last 10 years in Riverdale/Leslieville I can say both are lovely, safe and very child friendly (dog too)! both areas are more expensive to purchase homes but rent is not outrageous.

I have a question about the B4 form. My husband moved here two years ago before we started this process. He only brought his clothes and camera gear (he is a photographer- so there is a lot of it). Should we list that stuff on the B4?
Anything that he already has with him doesn't need to be included on the B4. It's just anything that will crossing the border after his Landing. :)

dannypee

Jan 29, 2013
SORRY TO GO OVER OLD GROUND but if my home address is already Canadian what will change on my ECAS when it eventually changes (I hope)

Thanks Danny

rebecassss

Jan 3, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
In process 13-03-13
Med's Done....
22-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
DGT said:
Penderyn is excellent! But you are right, the price is wild. There's a really nice Kiwi Single Malt at the LCBO just now that's on sale that I'd recommend. Nice smooth caramel colour and flavour. Cragganmore is an excellent Speyside, and if you like that I'd recommend a wee Glenfarclas to you too. And Crown Royal is very nice too. The sweetness comes from the fact that it (and indeed many distilleries in North America) use a high quantity of Corn in the mix, unlike Scotch which is 100% malted barley. Canadian Whisky (or Whiskey if it's from the States, Ireland, or elsewhere), is usually a blend favouring Rye, Corn and the Malted Barley (which is almost always there in some form as it has the sugars necessary to getting fermentation going).
I'll try the Crown Royal! Is it Canadian? I like sweetness. I'm actually really picky with whiskey, I generally don't like it very much but I really love blended Scotch. I was looking for a 25yr Chivas Regal and they're just so hard to get because they only release a limited number every few years so I gave up looking yesterday and decided to get some shoes instead. Then we went to the LCBO for some beers and we were dorking around at the cabinet looking at all the crazy drinks and on the bottom shelf tucked in the corner there was a bottle of the 21 year! We weren't going to get it but I was talking to the guy who worked there about when they'll get more, and he looked it up and discovered that it's been discontinued and that there are only 5 bottles left in the whole province. So we didn't have much choice :p

If you can't find the Cao Runn in the US you can have it shipped from elsewhere but it gets pricey. You have to consign it to the LCBO at customs and the taxes are really stupid. I think it's 125% just to get the bottle in and then there are a bunch of other fees on top of it. But if you really want it it's an option.

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
rebecassss said:
I'll try the Crown Royal! Is it Canadian? I like sweetness. I'm actually really picky with whiskey, I generally don't like it very much but I really love blended Scotch. I was looking for a 25yr Chivas Regal and they're just so hard to get because they only release a limited number every few years so I gave up looking yesterday and decided to get some shoes instead. Then we went to the LCBO for some beers and we were dorking around at the cabinet looking at all the crazy drinks and on the bottom shelf tucked in the corner there was a bottle of the 21 year! We weren't going to get it but I was talking to the guy who worked there about when they'll get more, and he looked it up and discovered that it's been discontinued and that there are only 5 bottles left in the whole province. So we didn't have much choice :p

If you can't find the Cao Runn in the US you can have it shipped from elsewhere but it gets pricey. You have to consign it to the LCBO at customs and the taxes are really stupid. I think it's 125% just to get the bottle in and then there are a bunch of other fees on top of it. But if you really want it it's an option.
Crown Royal is indeed Canadian! It's from Gimli, Manitoba, If you're into something nice and sweet, I'd also recommend the Alberta : Dark Horse. It's like, 30$ from the LCBO and it is luscious. I believe it's 100% Rye. Another nice sweet option is Glen Breton, which is Canada's only single malt whisky. There is a regular 10 year which is pretty good but not amazing, but you should look for the one aged in Icewine Barrels. Truly unique, and delicious! I do enjoy a wee Chivas too, though my blend will always be JW Black Label.

I've dabbled in private ordering with the LCBO, and I'm hoping to establish a business relationship with them so I can import some nice things for my bar! If you're in Toronto, and you like a good whisky you should go The Caledonian on College at Ossington. I know I'm biased because I'm Scottish but it's a great little bar, service is phenomenal and they have a great range of whisky including some really good flights!

baruderu

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
sfeire said:
Some IO's are just awful! WELCOME TO CANADA!!! ;)
Thanks Sfeire! :D I'm so glad it's over.

We went to get my husband's OHIP yesterday and had another adventure. They insisted on using the day he landed as the start of the 3 month waiting period instead of the day listed on his COPR. This is after I had this information confirmed by two different Service Ontario staff members on the phone. Grrrr! It's only 11 days difference but I just have a problem when the rules are not applied consistently.

Tuesday he goes to get his SIN. Let's hope there's no issues there. As far as I understand he only needs his passport and COPR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DGT said:
Actually, I plan to open a classic Gin Joint in Toronto, and introduce Canada to the joy of Gin!
Never been a big gin fan myself but if I'm ever in Toronto, I'll come check it out :)

dannypee said:
SORRY TO GO OVER OLD GROUND but if my home address is already Canadian what will change on my ECAS when it eventually changes (I hope)

Thanks Danny
Hey Danny

Throughout the application, there is only the mailing address showing on ECAS (for us, this was Canadian as well because we were already here). When the home address section is added, it is in the form of City, Province, Country, and it means Decision Made is a few days away :)

So if you can see both mailing address and home address in the form above, you will be changing to DM soon

Lee J

Feb 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
30th April 2013
DGT said:
Penderyn is excellent! But you are right, the price is wild. There's a really nice Kiwi Single Malt at the LCBO just now that's on sale that I'd recommend. Nice smooth caramel colour and flavour. Cragganmore is an excellent Speyside, and if you like that I'd recommend a wee Glenfarclas to you too. And Crown Royal is very nice too. The sweetness comes from the fact that it (and indeed many distilleries in North America) use a high quantity of Corn in the mix, unlike Scotch which is 100% malted barley. Canadian Whisky (or Whiskey if it's from the States, Ireland, or elsewhere), is usually a blend favouring Rye, Corn and the Malted Barley (which is almost always there in some form as it has the sugars necessary to getting fermentation going).
Thanks for the info DGT, the Kiwi malt sounds interesting, would that be a NZ malt?
I like Speyside whiskies for their peat. I was in Peebles a few years ago and picked up a 12 y.o. Glenkinchie which had none of the peat but all of the smoke, a characteristic of distilleries in the south I believe (?). I think the best whisky I've ever owned/drank was a Macallan 1937, which was given to me by my old MD. That was savoured to the very last drop.

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Lee J said:
Thanks for the info DGT, the Kiwi malt sounds interesting, would that be a NZ malt?
I like Speyside whiskies for their peat. I was in Peebles a few years ago and picked up a 12 y.o. Glenkinchie which had none of the peat but all of the smoke, a characteristic of distilleries in the south I believe (?). I think the best whisky I've ever owned/drank was a Macallan 1937, which was given to me by my old MD. That was savoured to the very last drop.
A NZ malt indeed. It's kinda similar to Balvennie if you like that. If you like peat, start introducing yourself to some Islay malts! They tend to have a much higher Phenol content giving some big peat flavours. Ardbeg is my favourite. You're absolutely right about the lowland malts. They tend to be very smooth drinking. THey are also a dying breed given that there are only two operating distilleries there (Auchentoshan and Glenkinchie).

I would count myself an incredibly lucky man to have had such a rare dram as a 1937 MacAllan!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I can't really join in on the gin/whisky discussion but thanks for the info about Toronto! ;-)
Happy Easter all!
Sweden

michty6

Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
AOR Received.
'In Progress' at London from 10/12/2012
File Transfer...
15-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made 28/3/2013. GCMS notes show London forgot about my file until I emailed them in February...
dannypee said:

Thanks Danny
The change will be very obvious. Just now you will see your mailing address listed down the left hand side of the page. When it changes it will change to show two addresses - a 'home address' which will just be City, Province, Country on the left and a full 'mailing address' of the full version of this address down the right hand side.

michty6

Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
AOR Received.
'In Progress' at London from 10/12/2012
File Transfer...
15-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made 28/3/2013. GCMS notes show London forgot about my file until I emailed them in February...
londongurl said:
anyone having email for london office to send inquiries ,if anyone know of the email ,can you peeps forward me thanks
Best to make a case specific enquiry from their website. Then once they reply to this they will include your file number in the subject line of the email, after which you can just keep responding to the same email.

rebecassss

Jan 3, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
In process 13-03-13
Med's Done....
22-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
DGT said:
Crown Royal is indeed Canadian! It's from Gimli, Manitoba, If you're into something nice and sweet, I'd also recommend the Alberta : Dark Horse. It's like, 30$ from the LCBO and it is luscious. I believe it's 100% Rye. Another nice sweet option is Glen Breton, which is Canada's only single malt whisky. There is a regular 10 year which is pretty good but not amazing, but you should look for the one aged in Icewine Barrels. Truly unique, and delicious! I do enjoy a wee Chivas too, though my blend will always be JW Black Label.

I've dabbled in private ordering with the LCBO, and I'm hoping to establish a business relationship with them so I can import some nice things for my bar! If you're in Toronto, and you like a good whisky you should go The Caledonian on College at Ossington. I know I'm biased because I'm Scottish but it's a great little bar, service is phenomenal and they have a great range of whisky including some really good flights!
Cool I'll check it out! I'll try the icewine barrel too, sounds like it would have a really unique flavor.

And I don't know much about gin but I'll be stopping by when you're up and running! :)

rebecassss

Jan 3, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
In process 13-03-13
Med's Done....
22-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
Anyone else noticed the SSL error when they go to ecas?

Not sure whether to just proceed or not...